• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How do you best combat Beowulf

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
hey so i have my own system of beating beowulf which works for me however im curious if there is a better and safer way of defeating him. if anyone has any ideas for style use weapon use and just overall strategy let me know asap:) ive already beaten dmc 3 for ps2 im currently doing the hd edition for the xbox 360 and im looking for any and all helpful hints to make things easier for the whole game overall for when i start going for the harder lvl settings:)

aoshi

Best strategy against beowulff is to use royal-guard. But blocking volcano attack can be tricky and requires replaying same level for some time to get the timing right of successfully blocking volcano.Also, on higher difficulties, jus before the volcano, pillars drop on our heads and can be tricky to block both pillar and volcano. But the safer way would be jus to jump higher with air hike and fire ebony and ivory in the air to buy some time until the volcano attack ends. Rolling won't help dodging volcano cuz the radius is much larger and chances are , we may dodge by rolling, one outa ten times when we can jus air hike and use ebony and ivory to stay in air where volcano can't reach. Rest of attacks are very predictable to block using royal-guard. Even capcom recommends it.

There are many ways to take down beowulff. Nevan with rebellion swordmaster can fetch a lot of style points.Gunslinger(artemis and charge shots from E&I) can also be used. Again, jus gotta watch out for that nasty volcano.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
okay and how exactly do you use royal guard???( i have never once used the style) and what lvl should i have it at to properly take on beowulf??? what are the general controls for royal guard and what should i expect while using it any hints or tips?(im a gunslinger/trickster user mostly which is why im asking)

aoshi

okay and how exactly do you use royal guard???( i have never once used the style) and what lvl should i have it at to properly take on beowulf??? what are the general controls for royal guard and what should i expect while using it any hints or tips?(im a gunslinger/trickster user mostly which is why im asking)

Royal guard in DMC 3 is a chore.>_<.Controls are similar to using any other style. But its function is to block. Royal guard can block any attacks(physical,super natural, long range incoming attacks), but timing is very crucial. Its extreme opposite of trickster. When trickster lets us dodge without any exact timing but jus through displacement, royal-guard is purely timing driven. Play through any sloth missions and block sloth attacks. Once you get the hang of it, block attacks of agni and rudra.

Blocking is a phase of charging. It builds momentum to unleash the release(one of the most powerful attacks next to DT charge release and when coupled with DT charge release, results can be very satisfying). Capitalizing royal-guard is by blocking and releasing.

Style level ups don't add much to its abilities. Level 2 lets us block in air. Level 3 is "ultimate" ability that lets us block long ranged attacks without any timing necessary to block them.I hardly use ultimate.

But royal-guard is the best way to beat beowulff. Attack pattern of beowulff is strictly timing-driven. Even dodging by rolling needs to be timed perfectly. So, guess the timing of beowulff attacks, use royal guard.

EDIT:Library in one of menus has details of abilities of each style. Look through them to get a detailed understanding.

Royal-guard demonstration:

Also, there is a loophole to royal-guard. If you can upgrade to level 2 which lets us block in air, an immediate block after a jump will time the block by default. You can try that out as well in early stages of practicing royal-guard.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
sweet thanks for the info il try it out :) let me know if you have any other hints for other bosses or enemies how does gunslinger face up against beowulf??? and how can i hit him in the face without royal guard and not get stomped or hit?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
My strategy

1. Use any Style that you like except Gunslinger, and learn Air Hike for Agni & Rudra or Rebellion.
2. Equip Agni & Rudra as your main weapon. The second weapon can be anything. My second weapon is always either Nevan or Cerberus.
3. Whenever Cerberus finishes a 3-hit combo, use Aerial Cross on his face. If it hits at the correct timing, Beowulf will be flail his one hand around while covering his good eye with the other hand.
4. By hitting his face repeatedly whenever Cerberus finishes a 3-hit combo, he will be stunned and drop on his knees. Be aware that he will use an explosion attack when he recovers.
5. Always jump around to avoid his attacks when he is on fours on the ground and charging you.

Not a foolproof plan as Beowulf will sometimes shoot a light attack from his mouth if you are on the air for too long, but this is my favourite strategy on all difficulty modes.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
so use trickster..cerberus..air hike... and dodge and shoot when possible and avoid those light things okay sounds like it would work your saying agni and rudra would also work(i prefer them) and what about with vergil?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
so use trickster..cerberus..air hike... and dodge and shoot when possible and avoid those light things okay sounds like it would work your saying agni and rudra would also work(i prefer them) and what about with vergil?

Just use Vergil's Aerial Rave to hit on Beowulf's face to stun him. Beowulf is weak against Yamato, so hit his face for some serious damage. Usual dodge procedure is necessary as well.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
So yamato aerial rave (thats the jumping attack right? and then use the darkslayer style to fly backwards and then attack from behind with yamato and spiral swords and then back off rinse and repaet..sound about right?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
So yamato aerial rave (thats the jumping attack right? and then use the darkslayer style to fly backwards and then attack from behind with yamato and spiral swords and then back off rinse and repaet..sound about right?

Yes. Don't attack Beowulf's behind often as it deals lesser damage. Attack his behind whenever he tries to bring down the destructible pillars for him to throw at you.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Oh..ive never even tried to get close to him when hes dropping those..i thought when he stomped it would damage me or those towers would fall on me for being that close?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Oh..ive never even tried to get close to him when hes dropping those..i thought when he stomped it would damage me or those towers would fall on me for being that close?

You will get damaged if you are in front of him while he was stomping or when you are in the air while he was punching the towers. His back however, is exposed and you can get some free hits or taunts easily.

Top Bottom