• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Hello, I would love to share something!

Raonak

Hi, I'm new here, I came here for a specific reason, but I think some introductions are in order.

I've been a Devil May Cry fan for a long time, I started off with the first game, but never truly fell in love with the series until Dante's Awakening, where my love of stylish action emerged.

I finished DMD mode and managed to get S ranks on all normal missions, which was a great achievement for me. Years later, DMC4 came out, and despite some initial weariness, the demo totally sold me. I played it over 30 times. It was just so damn good. This was exerated in my mind, because my PS2 died, so I hadn't had a taste of stylish action for years.

DMC4 was flawed, in many respects- the back tracking, the reused bosses, lack of weapon variety, etc. But what it did do well was take the already great combat engine of the 3rd, and just give it that extra oomph. DMC4 was a great game. Enemy designs were vastly superior to DMC3. Credo is hands down, the best boss in the series, and Nero's devil bringer and exceed systems were amazing additions.

So... throughout my teenage years, I had been making games as a hobby. Mainly fangames, from final fantasy, to metal gear, to pokemon. Most never made it past the early stages as I got bored easily.

Anyways, with the announcement, and subsequent bombing of DmC, I was afraid that my fantasy, DMC5, would not come to be for quite some time, if ever.

So, me wanting to try something new, I started working on a DMC fangame. Using my game development talents, I started creating a 2D version of DMC, which would take all the aspects of the game I love, and combine them. I started realising the game was starting to turn out much better than expected, so I revamped it. Into it's own game..... And that's the thing I what to share.

---

So here is Nax of the Universe.

The game's combat engine is deeply inspired by DMC, it started off as a DMC fangame, so it does have a lot of similarities in both movesets and controls.

uQoTVNb.gif

Here's how the gameplay breaks down. It's essentially a 2D devil may cry. Nax, the main character, is kinda a fusion of Dante, Vergil and Nero. I basically combined their best assets into one character, and removed style switching instead opting to integrate stuff like blocking/parrying/dashing into Nax's standard moveset. Gamepad support is enabled, even recommended, and I've mapped the controls to be mostly the same as DMC.

I wanted to make a game that was inspired by DMC in it's combat, but added mechanics to promote replayability. RPG mechanics. This includes gaining exp when defeating enemies, increasing stats via skill points, and enemies dropping loot , well, cards. -of themselves. These cards can be equiped to increase stats and give bonuses. (eg: Slime enemy may drop a Slime card, which when equiped would increase defence +2 and give 10% poison resistance)

W0CtVwJ.gif

The game is still in early development, but there is a playable alpha avalaible.
( DreamModule.com )
It's short, has 2 enemy types, 3 weapons, 4 screens, but the combat is there.
I would love opinions, comments, feedback on Nax. Especially since it was made specifically for DMC fans.

Im actually planning to do a kickstarter for a game in the near future, so if you want to keep up with new developments, you could follow me on twitter. https://twitter.com/theRaonak

I would love to make a thread about Nax, but not sure where I could post it. Suggestions would be welcomed :)

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
That's awesome. I've been thinking about making a DMC type game with me as the main character, as well.

But I don't know how to code, so I've decided to try using this, instead.

http://www.stencyl.com/

I'll make it eventually, when I'm not feeling so lazy.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I think I have found someone I can follow since he is a game developer.

I'm a game designer in the making, BTW. And welcome to DMC.org!

Love your game, BTW! Is it made in Stencyl?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Welcome to the forum. I planned to make a game once... I could just never find the right program to do it with.

Top Bottom