• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Games that start slow but get better...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Oh iiiiiinteresting.

I never actually got to play Silent Hill 2, did it start out with James in Silent Hill already, or did it take him a bit?
You start as James but unlike other SHs you're not thrown into hell from the get go, like SH1 or 3. First you're just kinda wandering looking for town entrance and while something seems wrong you have some calm times before **** hits the fan :D

Goldsickle

For me, the very first Devil May Cry "started out slow" because I couldn't get past the very first door that requires Red Orbs....

I actually quit the game for a while and got to that later (was busy at the time).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
You start as James but unlike other SHs you're not thrown into hell from the get go, like SH1 or 3. First you're just kinda wandering looking for town entrance and while something seems wrong you have some calm times before **** hits the fan :D

Do you think the beginning lacks much of the tone you experience in the later parts of the game when it really gets into the story? Does it feel a bit like a slog, where if you stick it out it was worth it? Or does it still do a decent job of pulling you in and keeping your interest?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
For me, the very first Devil May Cry "started out slow" because I couldn't get past the very first door that requires Red Orbs....

I actually quit the game for a while and got to that later (was busy at the time).
Then you replay the game with 9000+ orbs and just waltz through the door.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Do you think the beginning lacks much of the tone you experience in the later parts of the game when it really gets into the story? Does it feel a bit like a slog, where if you stick it out it was worth it? Or does it still do a decent job of pulling you in and keeping your interest?
It does very decent job. Basically you have really good build up to the horror that follows. Btw, I think Alien Isolation does something very similar. You wont see Alien until 3-4 chapters in game, for the beginning dedicated to exploring etc.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Jesus Christ, I don't even know how I neglected mentioning it, but also: KOTOR II.

While it most certainly is my favorite RPG, let alone my favorite Star Wars game, I'll be the first to admit that the first four hours of KOTOR II are UNBEARABLE. Integral plot elements aside, you have to wade through so much unnecessary campaign fat before you FINALLY get ahold of the decoded holographic archive that presents the main quest and lets you choose where you want to go in the galaxy. First Peragus, then the Republic ship, then Telos Station, THEN the Telos Shield Colony, THEN the Telos Arctic Wastes....for the love of God, LET ME START THE GAME!

How bad is the first chunk of the game? There are actually community-made mods to let you bypass those first few hours. I'm so not kidding.

*SIGH*. Well, I never said KOTOR II was perfect...it's an Obsidian game, after all, so that alone should describe what kind of finished state this game is in. Outstanding experience once the ball finally gets rolling, though....arguably the best story ever told in the Star Wars mythos.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
So, in this context, if a game is slow to start getting into it's core gameplay it's okay as long as it's at least also setting up for the story - even if it's taking time to get to the crux of the story?

As in, it's okay if it's a slow burn as long as the slog actually has meaning to it?

JPunxR

Devil Punter
All Im thinking off would be Pokemon Sun/Moon where I would mash the hell out of the buttons just to get a move on and into the main game but there's so much dialogue that it made me hate the game for the first 3 hours, but after that, I was having SO much fun that I couldnt stop playing it.

Majora's mask. I think thats an obvious one since you play a bit as Link in the beginning, than to the Deku form, and once you rewind time, it gets really good to go to open areas and side quests at your leisure.

I agree with Meg, ToX is really slow for me in the beginning(which is probably why I postponed the game a year later just to get back into it) and the rest, I would spend around 70 hours doing side quests and searching.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Me and my friends starting a co-op game of Tales of Symphonia, planning to run up through all of them if we can. It seems like the Tales of games really do start out slow.

Kurisu

Bunny mom
Uh... Let's see... Pokemon Black & White maybe? For me it did start really slow at least. I dunno. I agree too that KHII started really slow, but so did KH 358/2 to be honest (in my opinion).

Top Bottom