• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Future of the Devil May Cry franchise?

Slacri

So with DmC being a pretty big flop in sales, what do you think Capcom will do next? Will they take another risk and try for DmC2, go for DMC5 or just can the franchise entirely?

seraphmaycry

i dont really know plus how they prove the games sales where poor? anyway dmc2 was ****ty it sold alot better but it was a game that was 100 times worse it was hatedat it's time

Slacri

i dont really know plus how they prove the games sales where poor? anyway dmc2 was ****ty it sold alot better but it was a game that was 100 times worse it was hatedat it's time

It's sold about 700k last I checked, which makes it the worst selling game in the franchise and very poor in comparison to other games in the genre.

Capcom's sales expectations were around 2 million and they had to cut them to 1.2 million and the game probably won't even make that much, as sales have flatlined due to loss of interest and competition from MGR and GoW.
Just because a game sold poorly doesn't mean a sequel won't come. There are tons of games that had ****ty sales that got sequels.
Capcom doesn't have a particularly good track record with that kind of thing, and this game is bombing hard.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It's sold about 700k last I checked, which makes it the worst selling game in the franchise and very poor in comparison to other games in the genre.

Yeah. It's sad how it's the worst selling one in the fanchise, yet in terms of graphics, feel of characters, enviormnment, and all around gameplay, it's actually up there with DMC3 or DMC1.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Capcom's sales expectations were around 2 million and they had to cut them to 1.2 million and the game probably won't even make that much, as sales have flatlined due to loss of interest and competition from MGR and GoW.

Capcom doesn't have a particularly good track record with that kind of thing, and this game is bombing hard.

Actually Okami sold MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than DmC and it got a sequel on the DS.....but it had an oddly large occult following or Capcom has a lot of hope for Okami....I mean really Wii ports even after the PS2 version bombed, a DS sequel, putting Amaterasu in MvC3...not even UMvC3 (she even beat highly expected characters like Vergil and Phoenix Wright to it first and even MegaMan who isn't even in it), and even a PS3 HD version. Capcom must have a lot of hope for Okami as a NEW IP (its like how they're pushing Dragon's Dogma as a series).

As for DmC, it isn't a new IP and it came as the 5th game in the series so its meant to live up to the legacy as the previous games so then why would it have the "Devil May Cry" title if it isn't trying to live up to the Devil May Cry name.

Plus I think a majority of workers in Capcom shows disinterest in DmC, one director there even said he didn't like or hate the direction of DmC, and even Itsuno said he would go back to DMC if needed or could follow both series...well with these extremely low sales...what reason for Capcom to choose the weaker selling and receiving game (DmC) over the one that up til this point have sold excellently or better (every DMC game). Its like asking Capcom to keep one series (MegaMan VS Resident Evil).....I'm sorry MegaMan fans (myself included) since RE sells much more than MegaMan and has a larger fanbase they'll keep the one that gives them more money.

DragonMaster2010

Actually Okami sold MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than DmC and it got a sequel on the DS.....but it had an oddly large occult following or Capcom has a lot of hope for Okami....I mean really Wii ports even after the PS2 version bombed, a DS sequel, putting Amaterasu in MvC3...not even UMvC3 (she even beat highly expected characters like Vergil and Phoenix Wright to it first and even MegaMan who isn't even in it), and even a PS3 HD version. Capcom must have a lot of hope for Okami as a NEW IP (its like how they're pushing Dragon's Dogma as a series).

As for DmC, it isn't a new IP and it came as the 5th game in the series so its meant to live up to the legacy as the previous games so then why would it have the "Devil May Cry" title if it isn't trying to live up to the Devil May Cry name.

Plus I think a majority of workers in Capcom shows disinterest in DmC, one director there even said he didn't like or hate the direction of DmC, and even Itsuno said he would go back to DMC if needed or could follow both series...well with these extremely low sales...what reason for Capcom to choose the weaker selling and receiving game (DmC) over the one that up til this point have sold excellently or better (every DMC game). Its like asking Capcom to keep one series (MegaMan VS Resident Evil).....I'm sorry MegaMan fans (myself included) since RE sells much more than MegaMan and has a larger fanbase they'll keep the one that gives them more money.

No. I heard Isuno said he didn't want to make another DMC game and that's why he's in Dragon's Dogma. Plus it wasn't capcom working on DmC, it was Ninja Theory, so it's not like they were forced to make the game, that was NT doing that while Capcom played tutors for them.

I'm thinking Capcom will probably hand the DmC series to NT and let them make the decision of making DmC again.

Also, Devil May Cry isn't about it's sales for a game to have the "DMC stamp of approval" because if that was the case then every DMC would be below that margin since even though they sell well enough, they surely don't compare to the bigger and higher games that are featured.

DmC is DMC, sales or not.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
No. I heard Isuno said he didn't want to make another DMC game and that's why he's in Dragon's Dogma. Plus it wasn't capcom working on DmC, it was Ninja Theory, so it's not like they were forced to make the game, that was NT doing that while Capcom played tutors for them.

I'm thinking Capcom will probably hand the DmC series to NT and let them make the decision of making DmC again.

Also, Devil May Cry isn't about it's sales for a game to have the "DMC stamp of approval" because if that was the case then every DMC would be below that margin since even though they sell well enough, they surely don't compare to the bigger and higher games that are featured.

DmC is DMC, sales or not.

I heard in an interview from Itsuno himself said that they could potentially continue both series. Plus I never said Itsuno wanted to make another DMC...okay maybe I did but Capcom can hand over DMC to another director/team in Capcom to make DMC5....or something DMC-related (even DmC2) I mean they've done it with many of their other franchises...I mean a different team made RE: Revelations compared to RE5 & RE6. Plus Kamiya had DMC until Itsuno was put in charge. Itsuno said a series will grow stale if the same team constantly worked on it (it showed with DMC4). So Capcom can still hand it over to another dev team inside their company like they did before....I mean Kobayashi has his own team (that was used to make the Sengoku Basara games) and as far as I know I don't know of a new Sengoku Basara game in the works or if Kobayashi is busy.

I never said sales made DMC I said for Capcom what reason to continue one DMC series if the other made them more money. Its not about being a DMC game...its about being a game that can profit Capcom as a company. If DMC made them more money before compared to DmC which is potentially hurting them cause those AAA budget spent on the game wont refill themselves.

Plus Capcom has officially stated they plan to hire 1000 new workers over 10 years to reduce the outsourcing of their games.

DragonMaster2010

I heard in an interview from Itsuno himself said that they could potentially continue both series. Plus I never said Itsuno wanted to make another DMC...okay maybe I did but Capcom can hand over DMC to another director/team in Capcom to make DMC5....or something DMC-related (even DmC2) I mean they've done it with many of their other franchises...I mean a different team made RE: Revelations compared to RE5 & RE6. Plus Kamiya had DMC until Itsuno was put in charge. Itsuno said a series will grow stale if the same team constantly worked on it (it showed with DMC4). So Capcom can still hand it over to another dev team inside their company like they did before....I mean Kobayashi has his own team (that was used to make the Sengoku Basara games) and as far as I know I don't know of a new Sengoku Basara game in the works or if Kobayashi is busy.

If there was one person who I didn't want handling DMC, it would definitely be Kobayashi. He'd make it way too Sengoku BAsara-like, and I'm not to fond of it's Warrior Orochi-like vibe to it. If it was to go to another developer, I'd rather it be either the people behind Infamous, or the Prototype crew to come back to give it a shot. ..or even Platinum games...

I never said sales made DMC I said for Capcom what reason to continue one DMC series if the other made them more money. Its not about being a DMC game...its about being a game that can profit Capcom as a company. If DMC made them more money before compared to DmC which is potentially hurting them cause those AAA budget spent on the game wont refill themselves.
But you said it yourself; DMC will start to get stale at some point, and honestly, DMC has that proplem of being behind in terms of time. If they can somehow bring that craziness to our time (which I doubt) then that could work then a whole reboot.
Plus Capcom has officially stated they plan to hire 1000 new workers over 10 years to reduce the outsourcing of their games.

I say it's about time. Capcom's being scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I say it's about time. Capcom's being scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

As for Kobayashi.....I too would prefer he stays away from DMC, he is mostly the problem of why DMC was getting stale (forced in game ideas, bad anime spin-off, ****ed off a lot of staff who worked on DMC4 like Bingo, and went for a more sell out route with DMC4)....I prefer the guys from the MvC3 staff (considering the main director of that game is a big DMC fan and was capable to flawlessly translating Dante's and Vergil's fighting style into a 2D fighting game but still feel like how they played in DMC3).

Like I said before Capcom can use/change another inside dev team like they've done before and it usually produced wonderful results.

Really Prototype and Infamous...what DMC doesn't need are a bunch of a guys who barely worked on hack n slash games with the caliber and depth of DMC. I too want DMC to prosper but not forget why it became famous in the first place (its rich, revolutionary gameplay). I'll rather have Platinum and even Team Ninja work on a DMC game before I play a sub-par hack n slash game by western devs who don't even have the skills or criteria to make a DMC game (geez even Ninja Theory had more experience with hack n slash games than the Prototype and Infamous devs).

Plus Platinum really??? I thought you didn't want DMC to become all Sengoku-Basara over the top Japanese anime type but more down to Earth and modern like DmC.

eV6lokc.jpg

berto

I Saw the Devil
Here is my take on this.

Capcom has never know what to do with the series, nor RE for that matter. They tried to make these games that are similar to the ones that other people who are no longer at Capcom made but in the end they just keep making their take in them and not real sequels. Just how RE5 tried to be better than RE4 but failed despite having more animation, more responsive controls, co-op play and a bunch of other gameplay features that 4 didn't; it's just not up to part and I'll bet you that they don't know why.

DMC has the same problem. DMC2 was just someone's take on DMC1 and DMC4 was practicably a fanfiction. Everytime they get something good they screw it up with bad decision making and back it up with BS logic and a terrible need to make sells that just keeps back firing. From the success of DMC3 came a bunch decitions that led the sequel to become an anime, and to make things worse, and anime that tried to target both boys and girls, the boys with the actions and the girls with the pretty boys and the romance. The slight difference between making good games and games that sell.

The games haven't gone stale, ether, and I'm tired of hearing that. It's capcom whose gone stale and don't know what made their franchises great. That and the people that made their games great are gone.

DragonMaster2010

Plus Platinum really??? I thought you didn't want DMC to become all Sengoku-Basara over the top Japanese anime type but more down to Earth and modern like DmC.

eV6lokc.jpg

True, i don't. But in terms of gameplay, Platinum could probably do a good job with it. Story, feel, and character development along with environment style is a different story.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The games haven't gone stale, ether, and I'm tired of hearing that. It's capcom whose gone stale and don't know what made their franchises great. That and the people that made their games great are gone.

Not all of them.

Plus there seems to be people who understands the series enough (Masa...masa....whatever the hell his name the guy who worked on Revelations if anything wants RE to still remain survival horror and his RE game came closer to RE4 than the others did and even went back to the old school type of horror (RE1-3 but with 3rd person view). Revelations was praised as the best RE game this generation.

Itsuno is still there. Lets not forget Eishiro who did an excellent job on Okamiden (its only downside was that it was an handheld compared to Okami).

I personally don't find Capcom getting stale (when you think about it only RE & DMC are suffering from this and DMC only had one game 4 and Itsuno saw that with 4 it was getting stale same way how he saw that 2 was a mistake and fixed that with 3 unlike what you said that never admit their mistake and come up with BS...I mean if that was the case then they wouldn't have rebooted DMC just made another DMC4 amirite considering that DMC4 was the highest selling DMC games and not say DMC was getting stale...Capcom..or workers in Capcom can admit they've f*cked up.....I mean the president even came out and said games like RE:ORC, Bionic Commando, and whatelse was there...were terrible games. They know it when they f*ck up. Hell even when the highly hyped and budgeted RE6 flops in sales they decide to go back to RE's survival roots).

Really its only RE & DMC suffering from this (MegaMan has yet to suffer from this due to them NOT MAKING ANY GAMES ABOUT HIM ANYMORE). Street Fighter is fine, they really didn't even touch any old IPs this gen, and all their new ones (that they developed) were actually good ranging to great. The only bad Capcom games this gen were RE6 (debatable) and the ones not developed by them as well as SFxT (which is a good game but has some balancing issues due to adding in new gameplay mechanics). Monster Hunter sure didn't seem to drop in quality either.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not all of them.

No, but for the purposes of DMC enough of them went. And not just Kamiya, Mikami is gone and he is the one that gave DMC1 that environmental flare and the characters those personalities. Dante was meant to be more like Leon in RE4 since originally he was Leon, and as outdated as DMC1 might be his direction gave it that ambiance that the game so well known for. Masami Ueda who made the iconic music of the first game which is the best in the series (I'm sure people will argue that 3 or 4 are better but that is only because of the songs, the actual BGM is not as memorable in ether outside of a few tracks) as well as the first 3 RE games.

So, yeah, they aren't without talent but they are without the proper talent for RE and, for our more immediate purposes, DMC. Yeah, they got a few people who did well in DMC3 but directions seem abandoned.

Plus there seems to be people who understands the series enough (Masa...masa....whatever the hell his name the guy who worked on Revelations if anything wants RE to still remain survival horror and his RE game came closer to RE4 than the others did and even went back to the old school type of horror (RE1-3 but with 3rd person view). Revelations was praised as the best RE game this generation.
Ok, 1 game, out of how many RE games that have come out this generation? There is Operation Raccoon City, 5, 6, Mercenaries 3D. I've heard good things about Chronicles, thought I've never played 'em, so I'll give that one to the good.

But my point stands, the ratio has shifted alot. Before it wasn't such a gamble to buy an RE game, they were good. Now it's a role of the dice, you have to checkout reviews before you decide to buy otherwise you are assed out and left with a sub par title.

Itsuno is still there. Lets not forget Eishiro who did an excellent job on Okamiden (its only downside was that it was an handheld compared to Okami).
I'll take your word for Okamiden since I don't own a 3DS but for Itsuno's part it didn't do much help to have him in DMC4 since it seems that Kobayashi did most of the creative work for that game and it didn't hold. It wasn't as great as DMC3 and it just didn't take any chances. I doubt it was Itsuno who decided that the game should remove any elements that were in any way shape of for scary so as not to scare girls away and adding a romantic sub plot straight out of a Jump title. If itsuno isn't the one with the creative reigns to replicate his success in 3 then what good is it to have him around?

I personally don't find Capcom getting stale (when you think about it only RE & DMC are suffering from this and DMC only had one game 4 and Itsuno saw that with 4 it was getting stale same way how he saw that 2 was a mistake and fixed that with 3 unlike what you said that never admit their mistake and come up with BS...I mean if that was the case then they wouldn't have rebooted DMC just made another DMC4 amirite considering that DMC4 was the highest selling DMC games and not say DMC was getting stale...Capcom..or workers in Capcom can admit they've f*cked up.....I mean the president even came out and said games like RE:ORC, Bionic Commando, and whatelse was there...were terrible games. They know it when they f*ck up. Hell even when the highly hyped and budgeted RE6 flops in sales they decide to go back to RE's survival roots).
Ok.

First, DMC4 was an unfinished product, as I just recently learned, but that is nothing more than an excuse. Also, Itsuno isn't the one that decided that DMC needed to be rebooted, that was Inafune, who also made the decision to have western developers make their games, hence all the RE, Dead Rising, and other western developer made titles.

As for the BS logic this is what I mean: DMC4 is been made and Capcom says they want a new and younger protagonist so as to not alienate potential non-fans buyers, they want to make more money from DMC so they make changes to appeal to a wider audience, a younger audience, and, if I remember correctly, a western audience, and they promised a better story... Well, DmC comes around and it's practicably the same line of dialogue only with the word reboot thrown in the mix. If I hear the same line of reasoning for the next title then, well, I'll just laugh since I don't want to cry.

Capcom did say that they were dropping the ball recently, specifically with RE6 since that is the one that I read about, and that is progress, but that doesn't change the fact that I think that Capcom isn't really that well equipped to handle DMC or RE since they keep trying to make them into something they are not.

While it could be argued that RE4 was doing the same RE4 had the decency to be a great game if it had the need to change it's core values, and that is ultimately the issue, the games might range from bad to good but they just aren't great, not like those that came before them. Is DMC4 a good game? Yeah, it's not terrible. Is DmC a good game? Sure, it's an decent title. But is ether of them as good as DMC3? I don't think so, I don't even think they're as good as DMC1. Same with RE5 and 6. Are they good games? they're ok, but they are just not as memorable as RE4.

I'll put it to you this way. If DMC4, or DmC had been the first titles in the franchise I wouldn't be a fan. Same with RE. Ok just doesn't really cut it for me.

Really its only RE & DMC suffering from this (MegaMan has yet to suffer from this due to them NOT MAKING ANY GAMES ABOUT HIM ANYMORE). Street Fighter is fine, they really didn't even touch any old IPs this gen, and all their new ones (that they developed) were actually good ranging to great. The only bad Capcom games this gen were RE6 (debatable) and the ones not developed by them as well as SFxT (which is a good game but has some balancing issues due to adding in new gameplay mechanics). Monster Hunter sure didn't seem to drop in quality either.
Bionic Commando did poorly, Dark Void got pretty low reception, I heard really bad things about Lost Planet 2, MvC3 had that whole fiasco with them releasing a better version less than 6 months (?) after, aside from Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright I can't think of a well selling game in their portable division and they tried it quite a bit.

Well, maybe you're right, maybe it's only DMC and RE that are going badly. Outside of those two I really stopped caring for their works so I stopped paying attention.

Slacri

Dante was meant to be more like Leon in RE4 since originally he was Leon
I'm going to nitpick a bit and just point out that this isn't true. Dante was never going to be Leon, he was going to be an entirely new character called Tony Redgrave. Though I will say that DMC4 Dante and RE6 Leon share a striking resemblance.

Capcom's panel at PAX East(?) is coming up soon.

We'll find out what's going to happen to Devil May Cry along with many other franchises soon. Someone's bound to ask about the future of the series.

Edit: Apparently it's happening now!? and I can't find a link to the stream in this /v/ thread I'm in :<

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm going to nitpick a bit and just point out that this isn't true. Dante was never going to be Leon, he was going to be an entirely new character called Tony Redgrave. Though I will say that DMC4 Dante and RE6 Leon share a striking resemblance.
Partially true. The game went through multiple senarios and at one point it was Leon at another Tony, there was one where he was a treasure hunter and one where his powers were caused by the T-virus. The original scenario, though, was Leon, and the it changed to Tony.

RE4 also went through several scenarios like the one where there was a fog that was literally driving Leon insane and you didn't know if what was attacking him was real or not, one that took place on a giant air ship that had a reoccurring creepy doll and one where he was been chased by a scary man with giant scissors.

eV6lokc.jpg
Actually, this was all Konami. MGR was written by Kojima, Platinum just did the gameplay.

Top Bottom