• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Free Roam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel94

not sure if this is a thread or not but i was wondering if anyone besides me would like to maybe have open world gameplay in DmC. it probably won't happen but it would be awesome nevertheless

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Actually, The Crazy Demon and I started a game idea for DMC5 that was open world, but we never got around to finishing it.

aka958

Don't trust people
Joel94;284757 said:
not sure if this is a thread or not but i was wondering if anyone besides me would like to maybe have open world gameplay in DmC. it probably won't happen but it would be awesome nevertheless

My opinion = Hell no.

Why?
Because that is not DMC. It would ruin the feeling of the selecting a mission, play it all through and S rank it. I can't for the life of me see how it would work out with a DMC game.

fon

Crazy Chick
That'd be cool if it was it's own mode or something. Maybe an option after you beat a mission?
Just won't work if it was part of the main game.

Virago

Not listening.
I would like the ability to wander more freely. That seems to be the MO for games these days, so there's a chance that will happen.

aka958;284759 said:
My opinion = Hell no.

Why?
Because that is not DMC. It would ruin the feeling of the selecting a mission, play it all through and S rank it. I can't for the life of me see how it would work out with a DMC game.

The mission completion rankings might get an overhaul to allow for more freedom of movement, though you probably won't be able to play a mission an infinite number of times if this happens. Instead of just time, damage, orbs collected and how fast you can mash the buttons, maybe they'll add in a few other tricks to figure out.

I think it would be positive change. The backgrounds could be more creative and the game could be more internally consistent since each scene/mission isn't a standalone. Contrast with DMC4, where we had a gothic/steampunk church-city immediately become an old west ghost town, then suddenly a frozen castle, jungle and then apparently a floating cathedral. I will concede that I thought it was at least an improvement over DMC3, which featured different views of the same thing for the whole game.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think it'd be nice if it was open world between missions, but missions were linear and put in their own maps. That way, it'd have the best of both worlds. It'd be like No More Heroes with a better combat system.

revolver_Maniac

free roam could be a nice addition specially if it flows with the cut scenes,i think this addition could be the reboot.............ha ha jus sayin...........

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
In my mind I get the image of really good visual effects for landscapes, and a vividly realistic Dante. Whilst you wander through old and new places in the Devil May Cry Universe. I think it would be awesome, but maybe after you have completed the missions. Afterwards allowing Free Roam would give you a sense of something else to do.

I don't think they should turn it into GTA, where Dante can drive a car. If any vehicle, it'd have to be a cool motorbike. Maybe also allowing you to fly the bi-plane from Devil May Cry 1. In Free Roam, there shouldn't be much to do, rather than look at different areas. Walking around, reading certain information. As you go along, you gather more of an understanding behind the story and characters. And also get a general history of the background to locations. As you do in Devil May Cry 1, when you examine things. I'd also like the idea of finding certain people that have 'the password', where you can go on little side missions. This would mean you can encounter different scenarios, and old and new bosses from Devil May Cry. Also allowing you to have endless fun going on mini errands/tasks for other people.

If there were to take a mature direction to Free Roam, and not go all crazy and make it over the top (Where you just know it's definitely not a Devil May Cry game you're playing) then I think it would be a nice idea.

But that's just my opinion ^_^

VirgilTheart

I've actually been thinking about this being a possibility for a while now, as I recall reading a line from the initial product announcement of DmC that seemed to implicate possible free roam in the game.

Here's the summary (the stuff I noticed will be bolded)

Devil May Cry brand new tears -- DmC reinvents Capcom's classic action franchise to explore new frontiers with the series. The "Devil May Cry DNA" of stylish action, rewarding combat and a brash, smart-talking protagonist all remains; however, it has now injected with a dark and brutal gameplay that promises to redefine the franchise.
Set against a contemporary backdrop, DmC depict a duplicitous world where nothing is ever as it seems and the line between good and evil is constantly blurred. Spurred into action by the promises of a trusted relation, Dante bursts into this world intent on revenge at any cost. DmC retains the series signature mix of sword and gunplay but add additional weapons, all new powers and a revitalised gameplay system as players encounter the game's devilish mix of enemies and navigate the rich, interactive environment.

Dunno if we'll actually be having free roam or not, but if it's done right, I'll probably like it personally. ^_^

heatlancer

1# Trickster
VirgilTheart;284809 said:
I've actually been thinking about this being a possibility for a while now, as I recall reading a line from the initial product announcement of DmC that seemed to implicate possible free roam in the game.

Here's the summary (the stuff I noticed will be bolded)

Dunno if we'll actually be having free roam or not, but if it's done right, I'll probably like it personally. ^_^

when ninja theory says that they probabley mean somethin gay like what they did with enslaved where dante will be swinging and climbing like a monkey

free roam sounds like a very bad idea for this type of game IMO

and im really hopin they dont have dante moving/running like the previous ninja theory game characters

VirgilTheart

heatlancer;284812 said:
when ninja theory says that they probabley mean somethin gay like what they did with enslaved where dante will be swinging and climbing like a monkey

free roam sounds like a very bad idea for this type of game IMO

and im really hopin they dont have dante moving/running like the previous ninja theory game characters

I always got the feeling that Capcom made that summary I posted. But IDK. Might've been Ninja Theory.

As for free roaming in DmC, I kinda think it could be an improvement if done right. Instead of making a big, vast open world with some NPCs, I'd recommend making a smaller, more densely concentrated open world with a massive variety of NPCs and side-quests to go along with 'em. Make me want to save Limbo City, as a player, not just because it's part of the plot.

Look at Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and you'll get what I mean. ;)

Chrysander

What would be the point of the free roam? The games are combat driven, I would worry about a developer putting in other irritating inconveniences in a free roam situation. Having the ability to walk from place to place and smash demons is fine by me though, but I don't see what it would really add. Would be another variation to the Bloody Palace I guess? So long as they don't put in stupid stuff like driving around or going bowling, I'd be happy to explore a map and smash demons, unlock some costumes alternate weapons and what not, that'd be fine by me.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Maybe something similar to the game Prototype? It's free-roam and you are also able to kill hoardes upon hordes of undead/demon things. You can pick up side-missions and it has a star or marker leading you to your "main" mission objective. But since it is a DMC game we're talkin about I don't think they will make it a free roam unless you're looking around in the area to finish the riddle/puzzle to advance you to the next level, I think that is as far as they will go.

Joel94

they should atleast have more than one way to finish each mission that could produce different outcomes for each mission

V

Oldschool DMC fan
VirgilTheart;284809 said:

I remember that too - something in an interview with NT about being able to jump freely off the tops of buildings, rather than just seeing it being done in a cutscene? Made me think of an Assassin's Creed style game, although they were vague about it.

How I feel about it - if it enhances the gameplay and is part of the story (as in Assassin's Creed), then fine. For example, perhaps Dante discovers this power he has of being able to use his strength that he already has in other games to leap far and maybe uses it to escape or catch something. But I wouldn't simply want to be jumping rooftops all the time for no particular reason, just because they want to show that mechanic off in the game. It's nothing new, after all.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Maybe as a seperate unlockable mode like Bloody palace like instead of level 1-whatever of the same round ring you explore the entire game map and hunt all the demons or something but I agree with aka the missions have always been such a big part of DMC I wouldn't like to see them taken away.

aka958

Don't trust people
Joel94;284918 said:
they should atleast have more than one way to finish each mission that could produce different outcomes for each mission

Multiple ways to end it? Different outcomes? Then you would go into a seperate storyline unless the different outcome is just a minor tweak to the dialogues/something unimportant to the story happens.

Darth Angelo;285221 said:
Maybe as a seperate unlockable mode like Bloody palace like instead of level 1-whatever of the same round ring you explore the entire game map and hunt all the demons or something but I agree with aka the missions have always been such a big part of DMC I wouldn't like to see them taken away.

Sweet! I'mma gonna put mah kewl faise on! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom