• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favorite Games of the Year 2019

Meg

Hey everyone!

What were some of your favorite games that came out this year? And what are some games you are looking forward to next year?

My favorites are:

1. Devil May Cry 5
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Ace Combat 7
4. MLB The Show 19
5. MXGP 2019

Honorable mentions to Grid, Need For Speed Heat, and Onimusha remaster.

For next year, I'm excited for Resident Evil 3 remake, Ghost of Tsushima, and Tales of Arise.

I'm guessing there is going to be a lot of DMC5 on people's lists. :laugh:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Devil may cry 5
Days gone
Gears v
Rage 2
Resi 2 remake
Metro exodus
Borderlands 3
The outer worlds
The division 2

Next year what i look forward to is

Hellblade 2
Halo infinite
Cyberpunk 2077
The last of us 2
Beyond good and evil 2
Atomic heart
Watchdogs legion
Doom eternal
DBZ kakarot
Ghostwire Tokyo
Dying light 2
Godfall

And any first party for next gen ps5 and Xbox that takes my interest

Reactions: Meg

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
This year was pretty awesome for gaming. Lots of good games all around but hey, my wallet is what it is so 2019 for me comes down to pretty much 4 titles that I really liked.

1. Devil May Cry 5

devil-may-cry-5-Cover.jpg

Yeah I know, duh. We've talked about this game to death already, nothing more to add to what I've already said.

2. Metro: Exodus

Epic-Games.jpg

Loved Metro ever since the first game, and this game is no exception. It's one of those examples of how to do a sequel right. Don't completely change the structure of the previous ones, but rather, expand it and add new stuff that fits within it. A much more extensive customization system, a weapon degradation system that doesn't actually make you want to tear your hair out, and a world that's been opened up, but not quite into the fully open world territory, a smart decision that still very much rewards exploration without the tedium often associated with it. Too bad for the kind of lackluster AI but harder difficulties sorta make up for it.

3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-005.jpg

What a pleasant surprise. I was skeptical because so many people were saying that this game was pretty much a Soulslike, a type of game (I absolutely refuse to call it a genre) I wholeheartedly abhor, but I still wanted to try it cause to me, it was giving more Prince of Persia vibes than anything else. Boy am I glad I did. Yes the save/death system does take some clues from Fack Souls but other than that, it very much felt like a POP experience with a Star Wars skin (a franchise I don't dislike either). Wall running, rope jumping, even a time slow power.
Except for the combat. To my amazement, it was so similar to DMC's. Virtually no dreaded Dial-A-Combo inputs, with emphasis on single move chains and cancels. You can pull off combo mad videos out of this thing, for God's sake.

****ing take a clue, action game delevopers, and shame on you for getting schooled by first person shooter devs. Not to crap on Respawn, they've been proving to be very good.
Only reason why this game is not higher on the list is that its optimization is ass. Stutters like crazy due to (apparently) how it handles asset loading when transitioning between areas of the map. Very frustrating when such an awesome game is held back by mere technical issues.

4. Resident Evil 2 Remake

resident-evil-2-remake-screenshots-e3-2018-3.jpg

Never been a fan of the Resident Evil games, mainly because of how horribly they control, a massive flaw that I just could never get behind for the life of me. Yet the settings, atmosphere and type of gameplay were always kind of alluring so the prospect of FINALLY playing a RE game where moving the mouse actually equates to turning the camera like in any sensible game ever was inviting.
And yeah I enjoyed it. The Romero style was dripping from every pixel here, excellent experience.

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Devil May Cry 5 and Resident Evil 2 for me. I didn't get very far into Resident Evil 2. But those are literally the only two games that came out this year that I played

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Damn you Meg, you stole my "The Good, The Bad, The Hyped 2019" thread! It was MY thing!!!

I have no purpose on this forum now :':)':)':)'(

That said:

The Good:
- Devil May Cry 5 (GOTY)
- Resident Evil 2
- Astral Chain

The Bad:
- Days Gone

The Hyped:
- Resident Evil 3
- Doom Eternal

berto

I Saw the Devil
Hmmmm. I'll have to think about it for a bit. I'm not even sure which of the games I played this year were from 2019.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Devil May Cry 5
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Ninja Saviors: Return of the Ninja Warriors
The Takeover
Samurai Showdown (2019)

berto

I Saw the Devil
So, after checking a few of the games I've played this year I can almost make a list of my favorite 2019 games because a I only played a few games this year that actually released on it. Most of what I've played was random other things but, honestly, some of these make the list because they fit the criteria more than because they are actual favorites. That's not to say that I didn't love any, just that I kinda had to lower my standard so calling them 'favorites' might be a bit of a stretch for some of these. Other, definitly loved them. Just not as many as previous years.

I didn't even get through all of my 2019 purchases, either. I still have to get through √ Letter, Alliance Alive, Yu-No, Aladdin/Lion King and whatever else I got on sale on Black Friday so I haven't gotten through all of them, yet.

So, in no specific order.

will-a-wonderful-world-k-780x440.jpg

Will -A Wonderful World-
This chinese game was on sale on the Switch for $2 one day and I game it a go. I knew that the game was supposed to have a PS4 release but it was just not coming, and there was no news as to why it didn't hit the release date and I prefer my games on the PS4, but, for $2 I wasn't going to complain.

This game turned out to be tremendously dark, even brutal, and rather beautiful. With Playstation's need for censorship it's no wonder that they weren't keen on releasing it, and I mean dark. It's a text driven game so it's basically a pick your own adventure novel with a few illustrations. For all of its brutality, though, the game was equally emotional and beautiful. Bold, even if at times pretty melodramatic, but it makes all of it very memorable. I was so impressed with it I paid a lot more money to get it a physical copy on the PS4. The big issue, though, is that is you get stuck it is not clear what you have to do. It's so vague and unintuitive that you are sometimes left seriously considering just calling it quits. Once I was done I was tremendously happy with it all, even if it didn't give me the endings I was hoping for. Plus, it's always nice to see Mexicans in video games, since we don't get much attention outside of the fighting circuit.

header.jpg

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
It was ok. I honestly thought it was going to be a more interesting aerial combat simulator but it really didn't do anything so great that I will keep it after I'm done with it. It's fun and pretty but nothing so revolutionary that it's a must. I really want to try the VR mode but I'm not so rich that I can afford all of these games plus an VR headset.

liar-princess-blind-prince-1086386.jpeg

The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince
Two of my favorite games on the Vita, gems of gaming that don't get the love they deserve, were htoL#NiQ: The firefly Diaries and A Rose in the Twilight, so I was extra excited to learn that they had a 3rd game releasing this year. The thing is, those games are brutally hard. I've Platinumed Bayonetta, Bloodborne and DMC1 & 3 so when I say hard you can take me at my word. This game was not. Not only was it easy but it was short. I platinumed this game with all but no difficulty. Aside from one frustrating puzzle the game was one of my easiest platinums.

All that aside, this was a beautiful fairy tale. This was a love story that I didn't think I'd see again in this day and age. Both tragic and wonderful and hopeful. It impacted me so much that when I have a child I will play this game with them or at least read them that book it came with. In both a fairy tale and a game, this title is the definition of bittersweet.

0fd2cae2f7d4ee29dc0328b2440ba0330ee7b9ce.jpg

Sayonara Wild Hearts
I already made made a video about my thoughts on this game, it's on that thread. Not sure there is much else to say.

capsule_616x353.jpg

OniMusha
Loved it then, love it now. There is this bunch games I group together with DMC1. REmake, RE2 & 0, Haunting Ground, Dino Crisis and this game. Most of them were projects Shinji Mikami was involved in in some way shape or form. Him or others who worked on DMC1. Small company, back then. What I put them together as isn't something tangible or clear like gameplay or elements. Yeah, they all have fixed cameras, they are all horror games to some extent and they are all structured in a very similar way but to me it is their presence, their personalities that are similar. It's a feeling. I know it's rather arbitrary, to group them together because they 'feel' similar. To me it's what makes them special. Even PN03 and Killer 7 had a bit of it and I wish I could find it in something modern but it's gone now. They will never make games that feel like them and I know how it sounds, to chase a feeling and even miss it, but to me it's not arbitrary and this game is one of the relics to that feeling and it made me happy so see it's not forgotten.

A re-release, I know, but still a 2019 one. Not only is this game all of that but it's also a historically significant game. Takeshi Kaneshiro was the first human to have his likeness put on a video game.

latest

Catherine: Full Body
Honestly? I preferred the original. I'm super happy it got made and I loved playing it again but there is just something off about this version. The original was the right balance of C and K but here we depart from them and almost forget they are involved until they come back. It's an issue the original didn't have and it throws the whole thing out of alignment. It's not an unforgivable sin but it is something the original didn't have as an issue. Still a great game, though. Not sorry it exists and regret nothing for playing it.

After Party
I mentioned before that I be getting old because the dialogue of this game, which is so hipster/millennial that I want to punch every character in the face for it. I thought about it for a bit and realized I'm just burned out on it. It's such a common thing that you are more likely to find something with it than without it. Doesn't mean I'm not getting old, just that that wasn't the reason. Once I got passed my need to hit people, though, I had a good time. It's actually a rather clever game. Stiff and in severe need of polish, but the end result was not too shabby. A surprising amount of heart for some of the most obnoxious dialogue I've heard this year.

8c67110933ce17bb89517956eb6f93a2ec0d03e1.jpeg

Code Vein
I have to admit, this is a gorgeous game. At first the game seems to be rather plain with only the character creation being of any noteworthy but the further you go in the more interesting the stages get the more visually fascinating it all becomes. If nothing else the game is worth playing just for its world and creatures.

Other than that, though, the game wasn't really selling me. As soon as I beat it I traded it in. It wasn't bad, just didn't hold my attention.

Other than that I feel rather meh about the other big releases. I've already talked about DMC5 to death, RE2 just didn't speak to me and Sekiro is like learning a new language I don't actually have an interest in. Astral Chain wasn't bad but, again, it just didn't stick with me. Just beat Bloodstained and, yeah, good, but I'm never playing this again so I'm returning it. People love them and I still have them but I don't know if I will play them again or which I'll even keep. Maybe Astral Chain, don't think I'll get rig of that one, but none of them will actually become a next favorite of mine. Just not the year I'd hope for the action genre.

Last edited:

Maxman

Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry V
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

was so busy with Uni placements and all i barely had the time to play video this year

Meg

Damn you Meg, you stole my "The Good, The Bad, The Hyped 2019" thread! It was MY thing!!!

I have no purpose on this forum now :':)':)':)'(

That said:

The Good:
- Devil May Cry 5 (GOTY)
- Resident Evil 2
- Astral Chain

The Bad:
- Days Gone

The Hyped:
- Resident Evil 3
- Doom Eternal
Actually I was already making GOTY threads before you joined the forums. You just made them better by giving it a cooler name. So if anything, I'm taking back MY thing. :tongue:

Good picks by the way! :thumbsup:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
In my defense, I probably would have more games to list if my local EB Games hadn't closed, and I hate buying games from Wal-Mart.

I forgot I've also played Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid. Which was like meh.

I do wanna give Jedi Fallen Order a chance though. Serkio had my interest initially, but I decided against it. I did enjoy RE2, so I do wanna get back into it.

Top Bottom