• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fallout 4

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Cartoony? Mah that's kind of a stretch to me. It doesn't look that happy to me. Look at this.

1280984694956095153.jpg

It's pretty clear colored but the feel of desolation is still there. To me, the Fallout feel is intact from a visual standpoint.

If anything, you can argue that graphics don't exactly look on par with recent productions, but not that it doesn't feel like Fallout anymore imo.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Cartoony? Mah that's kind of a stretch to me. It doesn't look that happy to me. Look at this.

1280984694956095153.jpg

It's pretty clear colored but the feel of desolation is still there. To me, the Fallout feel is intact from a visual standpoint.

If anything, you can argue that graphics don't exactly look on par with recent productions, but not that it doesn't feel like Fallout anymore imo.
The screenshot you chose doesn't really show how cartoony and 'happy' it looks. If you've seen the trailer, then you know that this screenshot is not indicative of how 'happy' it can look.
I've already said my piece, I don't think making the graphics more animated like this is the way to go for Fallout. Making Fallout 4 more realistic would make it perfectly gloomy and serious, just like Fallout games generally are and should be. I really don't think an upbeat cartoony style would work well with tense and violent situations, certainly not scary or frightening situations.

For example, look at the bus in this picture and tell me that doesn't look a bit cartoony:

fallout-4-9.jpg

Or this, I mean holy jeebus:

fallout-4-3.jpg

fallout-4-1.jpg

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Either the cartoony effect is on purpose, or the graphics are just so lacking in texture detail that it makes the game look cartoony. You know, I also wonder how those graphics would work together with a soundtrack by Inon Zur. If his soundtrack is going to sound as serious as in Fallout 3, there might be a big disconnect between the style of music and style of graphics.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The second pic you posted is set before the nuclear holocaust, of course it looks happier.

The first one, doesn't look "cartoony" to me. Looks just... normal. And the sense of desolation, once again, is there.

To me, it looks a good balance between color and desolation.

Besides, as I said, if this is set after 3 and NV, Earth should be a lil healthier. Sky should be a lil cleaner, sun a lil brighter, etc.
I don't see anything so wrong in it.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
The second pic you posted is set before the nuclear holocaust, of course it looks happier.

The first one, doesn't look "cartoony" to me. Looks just... normal. And the sense of desolation, once again, is there.

To me, *it looks a good balance between color and desolation.

Besides, as I said, if this is set after 3 and NV, Earth should be a lil healthier. Sky should be a lil cleaner, sun a lil brighter, etc.
I don't see anything so wrong in it.
The second pic I posted looks happier... yes, but that wasn't my point. My point is that it looks cartoony. My biggest problem with the pictures is not that it looks happy, but that it looks cartoony. I'm sure there are plenty of places in the game that don't look all that happy, like that desert they showed with the Deathclaw in it. Still, kind of ruined by the cartoony style, IMO.

I think the bus in the first picture looks pretty cartoony, but maybe that's simply because of a lack of texture detail. A ''sense of desolation'' is not a typically Fallout-ish thing, so I don't see your point. There were plenty of towns (and even locations) in Fallout games, where there was no sense of desolation. The picture seems to be somewhere in the middle of nowhere on the map, where a bus crashed. Of course that picture is supposed to have a sense of desolation... it'd be a problem if it didn't. Duh.

*That's... nice? Again you've missed my point, the color is not the issue. But yes, overall I'd say the game looks too happy and cartoony to me so far. The amount of color something has does not define whether or not it's cartoony.
I have no issue with the sky being cleaner than it was in Fallout 3: I loved New Vegas, and New Vegas usually looked pretty bright and clear. Fallout 4 doesn't really change that.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'd say desolation was in fact an aspect of Fallout 3 for example. I definitely got that feel when I first walked out the Vault 101. Especially in that school near Megaton. But it was a feel I got in general throughout the game. Music during non combat situations helped that feel too.

That feeling was a bit reduced in NV, I'll admit that. I'm happy that feel is coming back here.

As for the cartoony thing, man, that design is not news in the series. Things do have that retro vibe to them. Just look at how the cars you could find in the Wasteland look. And besides, it doesn't look "cartoony" to me. It's not the term I'd use. Vintage, maybe?

As for graphics itself, hmmm to me looks like NV with SweetFX or an ENB. Overall I'm satisfied though, it ain't ugly. Well, animations kinda are (that dog, man).

Dark Drakan

Admin
That's kind of a lot considering you can get all the games for like....$20 total. So, that nuke had better be excellent quality!

Also included all DLC for Fallout 3 & New Vegas. £22.47 just for them 2 on PC here which is around $35 so not much in it overall. Collection with Fallout, Fallout 2 & Tactics I found for £7.06, so cheapest deal here would be $45.95 for all of them.

Dark Drakan

Admin
FALLOUT 4 PC SPECS

Minimum:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

Also included is a little FAQ with more information for PCs & Consoles:
Console Storage Space: Make sure you have enough space in the vault to store Fallout 4. Fallout 4 requires 28-35 GB depending on territory and languages supported.

Release Time: Want to know exactly when you can start playing Fallout 4? Digitally the game will become available at 12:01 am (local time) in all territories (In North America, the unlock time will be 12:01 am EST), except Asia (available at 12 am on Tuesday, November 11th) and Japan (available at 12 am on Thursday, December 17th).

What languages does Fallout 4 support?
In North America, Fallout 4 supports English/French voice/text. In South America, Fallout 4 supports English voice/text, as well as BR-PT and Latin American Spanish text. In the United Kingdom and Australia/New Zealand, Fallout 4 supports English voice/text only. In most European territories, Fallout 4 supports English/French/Italian/German/Spanish voice/text In Russia and Poland, Fallout 4 supports English voice/text and Polish/Russian text. In Asia, Fallout 4 supports English voice/text and English voice / Traditional Chinese text. In Japan, Fallout 4 supports Japanese voice/text. Note: On consoles, you may need to adjust the system level language settings to gain access to additional languages.

Does Fallout 4 have gamepad support on PC? Fallout 4 has plug & play compatibility with both the Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers. Alternate controller options may require additional user adjustments

Does Fallout 4 support Steam Achievements? Yes.

What platforms and phones support the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy App? The Fallout 4 Pip-Boy App is usable in tandem with Fallout 4 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. The App is supported on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices.

When will the Pip-Boy App become available? It will be available for the launch of Fallout 4 on November 10.

What phones will fit in the Pip-Boy Edition Pip-Boy? The Pip-Boy included will have foam inserts that fit iPhone 6/6s, iPhone 5/5s, iPhone 4/4S, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, and Samsung Galaxy S3. In addition, using the customizable foam insert you should be able to fit most other popular smartphone devices. As we wanted to stay faithful to the dimensions of the in-game model, any smartphones larger than the models listed will not fit inside the wearable device, but can still use the Pip-Boy App.

What is the latest update on the Creation Kit, modding, downloadable content, and Season Pass? For the latest information, please read our most recent update posted on Bethesda.net

Is there a pre-order bonus? Everyone who pre-orders a physical copy of the regular or Pip-Boy Edition of the game will receive a Perk Poster with your copy of the game. Digital pre-order bonuses vary by retailer, check with your retailer for more info.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If you're playing it on PC, apparently setting Shadow Distance to Medium (and possibly setting Ambient Occlusion to Off too) solves some of the frame rate drops that plague some areas in the game.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Fallout 4 Add-Ons – Automatron, Wasteland Workshop, Far Harbor and More

Since Fallout 4 launched, we’ve been blown away by your support for the game. It stands as our most successful title ever and that couldn’t have happened without you. It’s been truly inspiring, the stories, images and experiences that you’ve created. And now it’s time to share with you some of what we’ve been creating – our first series of add-ons: Automatron, Wasteland Workshop and Far Harbor.

Dark Drakan

Admin

After months and months of waiting to be given the green light for mods on PlayStation Bethesda have now been told that Sony will not allow them on their platform.

Full Statement

After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes.

Aurelius

After months and months of waiting to be given the green light for mods on PlayStation Bethesda have now been told that Sony will not allow them on their platform.

Full Statement

After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes.

... Oohhh dick move! Good thing I already own both games on PC!

Top Bottom