• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

F-bombs; What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I wanted to talk about the small issue going on with DmC about Dante using the F-bomb; I don't see a problem with it. It feels as though just because he said F*ck you like two times from the footage we've seen a lot of people hate him even more. I also don't like how people compare one liners with both DMC3 Dante and DmC Dante. DMC3 Dante is anime based, while DmC Dante is real life based. They're obviously gonna sound different in terms of trash talking. So I just think people hating the way he speaks simply because of two F-bombs is pretty unreasonable. It's like with Nero from DMC4. People say he cried millions of times in DMC4 when he's actually only cried two times in the entire game. And he's only screamed Kyrie's name three times, one of them cause she was dying. I just think it's pig headed to suddenly find another excuse to hate the game just cause Dante said F*ck you two times.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Just guessing, but I think some people think it 'cheapens' a hero character to have him use what is probably the "worst" cussword next to the "C" word in censor's terms. It's the sort of thing people generally think comes from bad guys, but not good guys. Nobody complained Mundus talked at him the way he did, right? He dropped an F-bomb, too. So I figure it's more people's concern with 'lowering' the hero to the level of villains, or making him 'too' edgy, when before he was actually quite the trash-talker lite - made fun of enemies, but didn't resort to swearing at them.

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
I wanted to talk about the small issue going on with DmC about Dante using the F-bomb; I don't see a problem with it. It feels as though just because he said F*ck you like two times from the footage we've seen a lot of people hate him even more. I also don't like how people compare one liners with both DMC3 Dante and DmC Dante. DMC3 Dante is anime based, while DmC Dante is real life based. They're obviously gonna sound different in terms of trash talking. So I just think people hating the way he speaks simply because of two F-bombs is pretty unreasonable. It's like with Nero from DMC4. People say he cried millions of times in DMC4 when he's actually only cried two times in the entire game. And he's only screamed Kyrie's name three times, one of them cause she was dying. I just think it's pig headed to suddenly find another excuse to hate the game just cause Dante said F*ck you two times.

I think it is because in the original games Dante never swore (or if he did it was a very mild one) He did swear in the Anime a lot though.

So because Dante went from not swearing to at least swearing twice so far in a DmC trailer is kind of a big thing to some people because it shows a complete change of character. Plus a lot of game companies assume that people swear all the time in real life when actually they don't.

Just guessing, but I think some people think it 'cheapens' a hero character to have him use what is probably the "worst" cussword next to the "C" word in censor's terms. It's the sort of thing people generally think comes from bad guys, but not good guys. Nobody complained Mundus talked at him the way he did, right? He dropped an F-bomb, too. So I figure it's more people's concern with 'lowering' the hero to the level of villains, or making him 'too' edgy, when before he was actually quite the trash-talker lite - made fun of enemies, but didn't resort to swearing at them.

You just summed it up perfectly in my opinion.

Domenic93

it's because it seems that like everything else capcom is doing is trying to draw in that market that only plays call of duty and modern warfare were all the preteens swear like no tomorrow, while swearing constantly works in panty and stocking with garterbelt that's a comedy were nobody takes anything seriously, and the same with tenacious d and the pick of destiny it's a comedy, while this game is trying to be completely serious, it's trying to have it's cake and eat it too. in serious games swearing should be reserved for moments of extreme emotions. also Tameem said the story would treat us like "MATURE ADULTS" we're just mad because we feel we're being looked down on.

Dante47

Eh, I don't really care either way. Dante is still pretty witty, just with some curse words here and there.
"I'm your prom date you ugly sack of ****!"

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I don't really mind that Dante swears a lot since DMC3 is pretty much an @hole by my standards. Some people just don't like excessive swearing and we shouldn't question their opinion.

IMO, one doesn't necessarily need to cuss in order to offend and **** someone off, which is what DMC3 Dante excels at. While I don't mind the swearing, I hope that NT doesn't go overboard with Dante's FU attitude because that might bog down the story. I don't want Dante to be someone who's invincible. I hope that somewhere in the storyline, someone actually manages to break Dante, metaphorically of course.

Plus a lot of game companies assume that people swear all the time in real life when actually they don't.
Unless you've done extensive research or anything, I think that it's best to not assume that many people don't swear in real life.

Zargus

Do you know how to install true FEAR?!
Premium
Go on the streets at night. You'd be suprised.

That is only a few people representing millions or billions.

Unless you've done extensive research or anything, I think that it's best to not assume that many people don't swear in real life.

Which is why I said that. A lot of people do think everyone swears all the time. But truth is a lot don't.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Here's something a bit different: I would have preferred DmC to not include so much profanity because I don't need my kids overhearing it. With Devil May Cry 4, I could play that with my 3-year-old son around. Judging by this, I wouldn't even want to play DmC in front of my 11-year-old step-daughter.

Personally, I preferred the old Dante's cheesy, non-sweary comebacks.

DragonMaster2010

Here's something a bit different: I would have preferred DmC to not include so much profanity because I don't need my kids overhearing it. With Devil May Cry 4, I could play that with my 3-year-old son around. Judging by this, I wouldn't even want to play DmC in front of my 11-year-old step-daughter.

Then allow me to say this. When Nero said to Sanctus "Go blow yourself" and "I'm sick of your bullshit" and when we went through the fight scene with Gloria, and when those naked demon chicks from the giant frog fight came in and started kissing and corressing each other, that was alright and no sweat?

I just don't think him saying F- you two times within what we've seen compared to the rest of the game that we don't even know is that big of a deal in terms of liking a game. Look at GOW. I bet people here play GOW, look what goes on in that game. That compared to Dante saying curse words? come on.

ji-high

Devil

DMC is a rated M franchise so i really don't know why you'd want to play it in front of kids to begin with.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Which is why I said that. A lot of people do think everyone swears all the time. But truth is a lot don't.
Would you be so kind as to provide the source of your information? Anyone can make an unsubstantiated claim. While I do agree that not everyone swears, there are still people who simply love swearing. However, I do not know the percentage of people who swears a lot. That's why I'm saying that we should refrain from assuming stuff we don't fully know about.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Then allow me to say this. When Nero said to Sanctus "Go blow yourself" and "I'm sick of your bullshit" and when we went through the fight scene with Gloria, and when those naked demon chicks from the giant frog fight came in and started kissing and corressing each other, that was alright and no sweat?

I never said DMC4 was perfect. ;)

I can think of a few other occasions during the game where it's not quite appropriate to have the kids around, too. Having said that, it's beneficial for me, as a parent, to know that I don't have to worry about colourful language being spewed out by Dante and the gang every five minutes.

I just don't think him saying F- you two times within what we've seen compared to the rest of the game that we don't even know is that big of a deal in terms of liking a game. Look at GOW. I bet people here play GOW, look what goes on in that game. That compared to Dante saying curse words? come on.

I love GoW - I used to play it all the time when I was into consoles and all that jazz. I didn't make a habit of playing it in front of the kids, though, because, well, it's Gears of War. One extremely helpful tool that Epic Games provided parents in Gears 2, however, was that of a very handy set of family-friendly management options to help ensure that the little ones' delicate eyes and ears weren't bombarded with vulgarities and entrails.

DMC is a rated M franchise so i really don't know why you'd want to play it in front of kids to begin with.

Thankfully, not every moment of DMC4 consists of explicit swearing, scantily-clad femme fatales, or wall-to-wall violence. Of course, when a game is slapped with a '16+' sticker on the front (we don't use that 'M' rating system over here), one has to be sensible and make sure that the kids don't to get anything unpleasant and have their adorable little minds warped.

DFM

I feel as though I'm a minority within the skeptics in thinking that Dante swearing isn't that big of a deal. It fits the "I hate everyone and everything" attitude they're going for with him..

What I don't like is all the F bombs from the demons. Ok ok, take a moment and get that "WTF" out (jk!). These demons are supposed to be "ancient evils" so to speak. Poison is 1,200 years old (please correct me if I'm wrong), and speaks like a modern day angry grandma. Mundus is aeons old and sounds like a modern day mafia lord. For me, their dialogue and their swearing takes away from the level of threat we're to feel from them. It feels more like Dante is destroying Jackie Estacado and his crime ring rather than saving the world from Mundus enslaving demons.

That's just my opinion though. ^^ I respect all the Pro crowd's opinions, I hope you can in turn respect mine.

DragonMaster2010

I feel as though I'm a minority within the skeptics in thinking that Dante swearing isn't that big of a deal. It fits the "I hate everyone and everything" attitude they're going for with him..

What I don't like is all the F bombs from the demons. Ok ok, take a moment and get that "WTF" out (jk!). These demons are supposed to be "ancient evils" so to speak. Poison is 1,200 years old (please correct me if I'm wrong), and speaks like a modern day angry grandma. Mundus is aeons old and sounds like a modern day mafia lord. For me, their dialogue and their swearing takes away from the level of threat we're to feel from them. It feels more like Dante is destroying Jackie Estacado and his crime ring rather than saving the world from Mundus enslaving demons.

That's just my opinion though. ^^ I respect all the Pro crowd's opinions, I hope you can in turn respect mine.
Well Mundus is uderstandable cause he's lived for millions of years. SSometimes he has to talk like the people he rules in order to reach out to them, instead of using words like "thou" or "Thou shalt listen to thy words."

The larva demon, I guess Mundus has use this kind of talking with her and now she talks like that as well.

Of course I don't know. This is just opinion

I never said DMC4 was perfect. ;)

I can think of a few other occasions during the game where it's not quite appropriate to have the kids around, too. Having said that, it's beneficial for me, as a parent, to know that I don't have to worry about colourful language being spewed out by Dante and the gang every five minutes.

How do you know this Dante cusses every five minutes if we've only seen so little of the game.

I love GoW - I used to play it all the time when I was into consoles and all that jazz. I didn't make a habit of playing it in front of the kids, though, because, well, it's Gears of War. One extremely helpful tool that Epic Games provided parents in Gears 2, however, was that of a very handy set of family-friendly management options to help ensure that the little ones' delicate eyes and ears weren't bombarded with vulgarities and entrails.

I ment God of War.

Thankfully, not every moment of DMC4 consists of explicit swearing, scantily-clad femme fatales, or wall-to-wall violence. Of course, when a game is slapped with a '16+' sticker on the front (we don't use that 'M' rating system over here), one has to be sensible and make sure that the kids don't to get anything unpleasant and have their adorable little minds warped.

Corage the cowardly dog. Most mind warping show I've ever watched as a kid.:D

DFM

Oh! I forgot to add this in (thanks DragonMaster for reminding me lol): I don't mean that they need to talk Shakespearean. I hope that clears things up a bit.

And you make a good point about Mundus needing to "fit in" with this era.

Railazel

Personally, I don't mind cussing as long as it is done in a cool way and the words aren't overly used. When cussing is done in clever or cool manner, it is often done in a way that a normal person wouldn't use it in. Let's take the F- bomb for example. It is usually used when someone is angry and/or deliberately trying to disrespect someone but under a failed attempt since it doesn't really disrespect anyone, just makes them more ticked off.

So in Dante's case, when wrote "F*ck you" on the invitation list of the bouncer, that was a clever and cool way of using it since it wasn't used to **** someone off, just as a form of disrespect to society. However, when he used it to mess with Poison, that wasn't cool, just immature.

Domenic93

Personally, I don't mind cussing as long as it is done in a cool way and the words aren't overly used. When cussing is done in clever or cool manner, it is often done in a way that a normal person wouldn't use it in. Let's take the F- bomb for example. It is usually used when someone is angry and/or deliberately trying to disrespect someone but under a failed attempt since it doesn't really disrespect anyone, just makes them more ticked off.

So in Dante's case, when wrote "F*ck you" on the invitation list of the bouncer, that was a clever and cool way of using it since it wasn't used to **** someone off, just as a form of disrespect to society. However, when he used it to mess with Poison, that wasn't cool, just immature.
but the scene would have been funnier if he just wrote dante, but that's off topic, but your absolutely right, it just doesn't fit for making a likeable character

Reactions: DFM

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014

Inappropriate language for a Video Game. Yeah, yeah, Video games have cursing now a days but personally I'm morally Uptight (lol) and I don't want to hear f@#k you every ten seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom