• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC's character designs

Sunaka Marién

How would wearing short shorts impede her ability to run? And how can you tell what season it is? None of the weather we see in the real world of DmC is exclusive to any season.
I wasn't trying to say that it would give her any disadvantage in running; what I meant was that if she had to run, which it seems is something she's gotta do relatively often, it would be a disadvantage to have her legs uncoverded like that, because she might fall down, might have to hide in/run through tight spots, climb over a fence or something like that, and therefor has a greater risk of injuring her legs like that.

About the weather. First of, pretty much everybody else dresses like it isn't exactly warm outside (long pants and most people also have long sleeves), at least not warm enough for such short shorts, so it is quite unlike that DmC takes place during summer, when shorts like Kat's would be appropriate. The coat Vergil wears looks a lot like the winter coats that are popular these days, and generally like something that keeps you quite warm, making it look more like something you'd wear during fall or winter. And even if you look at the rest of Kat's outfit - boots, thick socks, long sleeves, all things you're more likely to wear during fall or winter - it gives the impression that it really can't be all that warm, making the short shorts just seem out of place to me.
Also, during the last fight with Vergil - which does take place in the real world - it starts snowing.

AcidX_Y

But on a serious note this is what a douchebag dresses like.

fe2910.jpg
top-10-douchebag-fashions-1031107-flash-1031107-flash.jpg
Hey_Look733.jpg

Okay maybe not that serious.:D
All of that is pretty normal clothes, it's more to do with their hair and I don't see a douche in the second one.

The Final Offer

Ok. So NONE of you make any sense on the subject of dressing like a douchebag.

A douchebag dresses LOUD with ignorance being the emphasis of their clothing or tattoos. Here's what I mean.

048156b6350757d5b198262bdfb53d92_vice_630x420.jpg

So when you point out someone who dresses differently with no intention of being unpleasant to society or "speaking negatively without words", you yourself are the ignorant one.

dunce-cap.jpg

Meg

Okay boys, calm down for a second with all this talk about what a proper douche is.

THIS is a douche:
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/files/2012/07/douche.jpg

Well.....technically it's a box that contains a douche. You know what I mean.

SO, unless someone is dressed like this:
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100311001940/southpark/images/9/9b/DoucheandTurd13.jpg

they do not look like a douche.

Now that that is settled.

While I don't really care for the character designs in DmC, I think they did a good job modernizing Dante and Vergil's classic looks. Though I would have liked Dante's coat to have more red.

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
woah woah woah...hold on. now...this is just me...but if any of the dante's dress like a douche...its gonna be these guys
look at this guy. how many ******* cows u have to kill to get this much leather huh? and whats with the ******* boots? underwolrd looking mutherfucker. reppin bloods out in your hood? ****. thats not even the proper way to hold a ******* gun.
AAANNND YOOOOOOOOU
yeah you, ya pastey faced piece of ****. where you coming from? a male brothel? kim possible called, said she wanted her pants back by the way. AND WHY THE **** ARE YOU WEARING SO MUCH LEATHER. WHO THE **** WEARS NOTHING BUT LEATHER!?! is your leather shirt at the dry cleaners? that why u have to wear a man bra to hide your baby demon nips?
THEN THERE'S THIS UGLY SON OF A BITCH...
his *******...jacket with no buttons. too cool to close it up, huh? look like a vampire rejected from breaking dawn. ugly son of a bitch. just fugly

i'm just joking guys. calm your tits XP
*snipped images*
Hey man, leather is inherently cool; Blade, Eric Draven, Shang Tsung, Morpheus, Spike, Angel, etc.

DMC3 Dante was just....wat. DMC3 was probably the worst in the series in terms of aesthetics, it's all just so anime, even the DT looks garbage lol.

I just realised something horrifying. I used to have a black leather duster with red lining, which I used to wear with black jeans and and my issue boots.... I was basically Donte
1375928691761.jpg

I feel bad...

Last edited:

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
Dante: pretty alright, not too phenomenal but good
Vergil: Just kinda weird. That wide jaw just doesnt suit him and neither does that comb over. I dont even nned to mention his outfit
Kat: Again very average and alright
Mundus: DISGUSTING!!!! He has been made to look like some sort of king pin look alike. Whereas I always thought of his as a more kingly figure like maybe Twin lannister from Game of thrones. But his demon form is what really dissapointed me. It had no design at all, just a massive blob of cars and roads. That is not what a demon king looks like. Just a nude fate guy in the middle of demonic debris!!!
Lilith: As ugly as she looked, she almost perfectly portrayed her characterstics through her looks.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Personally, I like them all. Dante's design does fit with today's looks but at the same time making look poor and trashy. Kat's design is pretty much the typical young girl wearing sweatshirt and shorts thing. Mundus as Kyle Rider is your typical businessman except with a third-eye scar and blind eye. Lilith, oh man, she looks nasty and they definitely made sure she looked nasty in every way. Vergil has that pompous thing going on with him and considering pea-coats and such are popular nowadays, it does given him that modern, "I want to look classy" look.

Vergil's a wannabe badass. Shinjiro pulls off the coat much better. He's a drug addict too, but for a reason - he's trying to control his Persona from rampaging.
shinjiyoudruggie.jpg

Still, for Dante, I kind of wished they went with the other concepts.
tumblr_mm9ecemQ2A1re9fe1o3_1280.jpg

The bearded one with the shotgun and mohawk has concepts of Dante being sort of a boxer and it would tie well with Dante trying to survive without a proper job. The downside is that people would call it generic and any attempts to give an underground fighter image might be called as a Fight Club ripoff. It'd be generic since it's the typical, bearded, gruff-looking protagonist found in many of this generation and the past generation's games. Done right though, it could be an interesting concept. The other issue is that Dante looks really old even compared to DMC2 Dante. It might work for a future DmC game, but not for an origin story unless it's a late origin. Also, we could do more with shirtless men running around. I mean, why do all the men have to wear fully covering clothes and women run in chain-mail bikinis in games? We need more male eye-candy.

The demon with the horns and blood arm-blades though, looks wicked. It also looks like Dante has dreads. That said, it gives Dante a vampiric look to him along with a Satan/Lucifer look to him. It could really enforce the idea that not all demons are evil. Since if Dante looks that twisted and menacing but ends up being our hero. What are we to say about that? He looks evil, but can we really judge him on his appearance? Nice idea in my opinion.

On the right page, we have the Witcher. No, seriously, it has that vibe coming off especially considering the placement of the sword and hair style. Also, the facial structure looks like Hellboy's. To me, this seems like the early idea of Ninja Theory when they were trying to make DmC more closer to DMC. That is, make it have the gothic demon hunter feeling but giving it more of twist by placing it in a more gothic fantasy setting rather than the modern setting DMC and DmC have. The above two also seem to be more rooted to DMC than when Capcom said make it even more different which is what the one with Dante having shaggy hair and the star on shirt seems to be. He has a rebel look to him rather than a rocker and punk look.

Still, the design fits, but if there's ever another DMC spin-off, reboot, etc., or they need to introduce a new character, I'd like to see some of these concepts make it in.

Edit: Whoops, forgot about this sweet image. If DmC Dante was a woman. Hell yes.
031_max.jpg

Exejpgwmv

I wasn't trying to say that it would give her any disadvantage in running; what I meant was that if she had to run, which it seems is something she's gotta do relatively often, it would be a disadvantage to have her legs uncoverded like that, because she might fall down, might have to hide in/run through tight spots, climb over a fence or something like that, and therefor has a greater risk of injuring her legs like that.

About the weather. First of, pretty much everybody else dresses like it isn't exactly warm outside (long pants and most people also have long sleeves), at least not warm enough for such short shorts, so it is quite unlike that DmC takes place during summer, when shorts like Kat's would be appropriate. The coat Vergil wears looks a lot like the winter coats that are popular these days, and generally like something that keeps you quite warm, making it look more like something you'd wear during fall or winter. And even if you look at the rest of Kat's outfit - boots, thick socks, long sleeves, all things you're more likely to wear during fall or winter - it gives the impression that it really can't be all that warm, making the short shorts just seem out of place to me.
Also, during the last fight with Vergil - which does take place in the real world - it starts snowing.
We've only seen her have to ever run once throughout the game.
As for the snowing bit near the end. That was when Limbo and the real world merged together. Also Dante and Vergil's battle might have affected it because not long after they start fighting dozens of lighting bolts starts striking the same place multiple times in their little arena sometimes literally a few feet away from them but very rarely anywhere else in the area.

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
Personally, I like them all. Dante's design does fit with today's looks but at the same time making look poor and trashy. Kat's design is pretty much the typical young girl wearing sweatshirt and shorts thing. Mundus as Kyle Rider is your typical businessman except with a third-eye scar and blind eye. Lilith, oh man, she looks nasty and they definitely made sure she looked nasty in every way. Vergil has that pompous thing going on with him and considering pea-coats and such are popular nowadays, it does given him that modern, "I want to look classy" look.

Vergil's a wannabe badass. Shinjiro pulls off the coat much better. He's a drug addict too, but for a reason - he's trying to control his Persona from rampaging.
shinjiyoudruggie.jpg

Still, for Dante, I kind of wished they went with the other concepts.
tumblr_mm9ecemQ2A1re9fe1o3_1280.jpg

The bearded one with the shotgun and mohawk has concepts of Dante being sort of a boxer and it would tie well with Dante trying to survive without a proper job. The downside is that people would call it generic and any attempts to give an underground fighter image might be called as a Fight Club ripoff. It'd be generic since it's the typical, bearded, gruff-looking protagonist found in many of this generation and the past generation's games. Done right though, it could be an interesting concept. The other issue is that Dante looks really old even compared to DMC2 Dante. It might work for a future DmC game, but not for an origin story unless it's a late origin. Also, we could do more with shirtless men running around. I mean, why do all the men have to wear fully covering clothes and women run in chain-mail bikinis in games? We need more male eye-candy.

The demon with the horns and blood arm-blades though, looks wicked. It also looks like Dante has dreads. That said, it gives Dante a vampiric look to him along with a Satan/Lucifer look to him. It could really enforce the idea that not all demons are evil. Since if Dante looks that twisted and menacing but ends up being our hero. What are we to say about that? He looks evil, but can we really judge him on his appearance? Nice idea in my opinion.

On the right page, we have the Witcher. No, seriously, it has that vibe coming off especially considering the placement of the sword and hair style. Also, the facial structure looks like Hellboy's. To me, this seems like the early idea of Ninja Theory when they were trying to make DmC more closer to DMC. That is, make it have the gothic demon hunter feeling but giving it more of twist by placing it in a more gothic fantasy setting rather than the modern setting DMC and DmC have. The above two also seem to be more rooted to DMC than when Capcom said make it even more different which is what the one with Dante having shaggy hair and the star on shirt seems to be. He has a rebel look to him rather than a rocker and punk look.

Still, the design fits, but if there's ever another DMC spin-off, reboot, etc., or they need to introduce a new character, I'd like to see some of these concepts make it in.

Edit: Whoops, forgot about this sweet image. If DmC Dante was a woman. Hell yes.
031_max.jpg
I am sooooooooooooooooooo glad they didn't go with that thing on the left. Le edgy Baphomet t-shirt, and are those bandages on his wrists? Bloody hell....

cheesydonutman

Dante's, Vergil's & Kat's designs were great.

Except Mundus and Lilith.

Mundus: I prefer Brad Dourif's look.

Lilith: Didn't like the plastic surgery look. Would she look like a popstar instead? Perhaps Lindsay Lohan's look?
Dante: like some guy from twilight
Vergil: a bit weird (but his hat is cool)
Kat: pretty cool
Mundus: an angry boss of some random company
Lilith: just...just no

Sunaka Marién

We've only seen her have to ever run once throughout the game.
As for the snowing bit near the end. That was when Limbo and the real world merged together. Also Dante and Vergil's battle might have affected it because not long after they start fighting dozens of lighting bolts starts striking the same place multiple times in their little arena sometimes literally a few feet away from them but very rarely anywhere else in the area.
Y'know, we've also only ever seen one Hunter in the game, yet we know that there are others :/ It seriously doesn't matter how often she had to run in the game, but how often she probably has to run in general, which, due to her having to create Limbo gateways with her graffity, could be relatively often.
The snow might or might not be an effect of Limbo. So, for the sake of simplicity, let's just assume it was, then the short shorts still don't really make sense with the rest of her outfit or compared to Vergil and Dante running around in much warmer clothing.

How would you redesign Mundus, Lillith, Bob Barbas & Phineas?
I'd give some more glamorous clothes to Lilith, nothing really nice looking, but that pink plastic dress was kinda odd, like, she kinda gave the impression to me of being a woman who enjoys luxurious goods. But then again that might defeat the purpose of her design...

Last edited:

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I am sooooooooooooooooooo glad they didn't go with that thing on the left. Le edgy Baphomet t-shirt, and are those bandages on his wrists? Bloody hell....
Yeah, it just doesn't fit Dante, Vergil, even Nero, or anyone in the DMC series for that matter. It could work for another, new character if Capcom decides to introduce a new character. So, maybe a previous Nephilim in the DmC universe, a whole entirely different and unrelated demon hunter, or a spin off of DMC where it's a game about a demon hunter and they want a new character. The one thing that stands out is the facial structure resembles the design they went with for DmC Dante.

The other designs would have worked perfectly. The boxer one, like I said, just gives Dante a brawler, survivor, and underground look. The one with horns would work if they wanted Dante to be even more a demonic and the Hellboy-Witcher look could work for a more fantasy-based DMC or a whole new franchise entirely.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I thought that looked like an updated version of the DMC2 outfit.
The concepts on the bottom right page, yeah, I can see that since Dante's outfit in DMC2 had a leather breastplate-vest thing going on.
3432812140_1b09a9854f.jpg

The ones above that image and the hair style concepts and Dante's pose just looks like Geralt's art from The Witcher 2. The leather belts and straps; scabbard placement, sash, and vest gives Dante a sort of fantasy look. While his Converse-like shoes or boots, Ebony & Ivory, and some of the pants - one of them looks like jeans - gives Dante a modern look. So, it's a weird fusion of modern and medieval-renaissance fashion kind of like how Samurai Champloo was anachronistic.

It doesn't help that both Dante and Geralt have white hair, use large swords, and fight mythical beasts while having a badass character.
Geralt_layers.jpg

And for reference, here's Hellboy's face or facial structure to compare. Sorry for the large images even though they're "medium" on Google.
41569.jpg

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Excuse me?
robert-pattinson_l.jpg
11932Dante_Heroic.jpg

Last time I checked, Edward never wore a heavy leather coat with jeans and combat boots and a tank top, and Dante never wore some cardigan with khaki pants and designer shoes.
ironic part is, i really do think that RP could do a good dante, both classic and reboot version

Exejpgwmv

Y'know, we've also only ever seen one Hunter in the game, yet we know that there are others :/ It seriously doesn't matter how often she had to run in the game, but how often she probably has to run in general, which, due to her having to create Limbo gateways with her graffity, could be relatively often.
The snow might or might not be an effect of Limbo. So, for the sake of simplicity, let's just assume it was, then the short shorts still don't really make sense with the rest of her outfit or compared to Vergil and Dante running around in much warmer clothing.
She has a car you know :/ . And I don't see any real reason why Vergil would send her some where on foot, when she's at her slowest and most vulnerable, without a quick means of escape.
As for Dante and Vergil, they have been shown to take on horde upon hordes of demons without breaking a sweat. I doubt they are very much affected by the weather.

Top Bottom