• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC4 is really starting to annoy me

DMCFan77

Alright, so I got the game last weekend, and it's been annoying me ever since i got it. The reasons are following.

Firstly, the PC controls. They are just hard to handle for me, I had almost a week to get accustomed to them and I can't. And it's beginning to annoy me to no end. I know I can change the controls, but I just can't seem to find a good setup that suits me. Plus, the fact that I gotta press 3 damn buttons just to do a side roll is retarded, and I only manage to do a side roll properly sometimes, even though I have been practicing.

Second, the camera angle. Seriously f****** annoying, probably the most annoying thing in the game. The camera never faces properly. I'm fighting 6 enemies, but the important thing is that the camera is facing to an empty wall, leaving all 6 enemies completely out of my sight, instead of trying to keep the enemies in my sight. And the PC controls really don't allow me to turn the camera as I please at any time, in addition to doing all the things I need to do in combat.

Third. Combat is very fast paced, which I actually very much like, but...fast paced combat + retarded camera angles + 3 buttons for side rolls, and other moves = stupid.

Number four - dependency of game controls on camera angle. I'm running around, about to do a side roll to avoid an attack, when all of a sudden, the camera angle changes, and instead of doing a side roll, I move an inch to the back, left or right (depending on how the camera turned), and I get hit...Can't even tell you how much this annoys me.

All of this is especially annoying during boss battles, because in those I can't afford too many mistakes, while in regular combat I can afford a few.

Now...I don't wanna make it seem like I came here just to vent, so I have a few questions on how to improve my game play. So here I go.

1) Can you set the camera to always be behind your back no matter what? This would help me a LOT.

2) Does anyone here have a decent PC control setup that will allow me to improve my game play somewhat? If yes, please share.

3) Does anyone have any other tips on how to improve my game play, after all , maybe I am missing something here?

Thanks for reading everyone, and I hope I can get some decent answers.

Eris Strife

The Discordian Trickster
My friend, you're not the only one out there screaming at Capcom for the awkward camera angles... but I read a review where it said, and I quote:

"If you are running and the camera angle swings to a different direction, by holding the same direction you were holding before the switch you will continue on your intended path rather than careening into a wall, off a cliff, into the jaws of a creature from the abyss, or into a poorly placed apple cart. "

Camera angles seem to work against us in almost every DMC game at the worst of times, but the above seems to work.

About the key configuration, can't help you there, bro, coz I don't play PC games, so I wouldn't know the best setup.

DMCFan77

It's a good thing I am not the only one. About holding the buttons, yeah that's no problem, but movement in general is not what concerns me, but rather movement in combat. In combat I can't hold the same buttons all the time, I gotta run around and keep mobile to avoid attacks, and keeps enemies further away from me.

Combat is my problem. Awkward camera angles simply mess with me when I gotta execute combos and moves properly. As a result I get hit more often than I should. I am not god knows how skilled, but I can avoid most damage as long as the camera doesn't mess with me, which it does :(

Eris Strife

The Discordian Trickster
I don't know a lot about the key config in PC games, but as a general rule, you should keep the combo keys on the right-side (assuming you're right-handed), so the right hand executes combos while the left controls movement, like how it's played on PS2/3.

DMCFan77

I'm trying stuff out right now as we speak, I'll give your suggestion a try, although combos are not possible to execute with just one hand on the PC, you need to push a directional button as well, but that isn't a problem, the main problem comes in two forms for me: the camera, and the amount of buttons you gotta press to make just one move, as well as the order in which you gotta press them.

The high roller is a stupid move in particular, as it demands that you press a button opposite the direction in which you are moving, thus messing up the camera further if you press the buttons in the wrong order (happens a lot because of the fast paced style of the game).

I'll be trying out more stuff to see if I can get a decent setup.

Thanks for your help so far.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You could get a gamepad to use as a controller. That's what my uncle did, and it worked fine for him.

DMCFan77

One would require a PS3 gamepad, right? I doubt the one for PS2 could be used.

Also, how does one plug the gamepad into the computer anyway? Via USB or something, or is there a special extension cable for this purpose? Kinda seems silly to go buy all of that for one game :)

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I don't know much about the PC version, but...

Yes, the camera is annoying. The boss battles are annoying...
And Mission 20 on Devil Hunter is a Pain in the rear end!!!

You can get a 'converter' to use a PS2/3 controller on a PC.
I've got one, but i don't really know if it works though.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
The camera angles are a major pain in the buttocks. At one stage I kept having Nero run in and out and in and out a door because my timing to change the direction on the control pad was off with the change of camera angle. Yeah...my hand and eye coordinates = non-existent.

But with the Xbox 360, there's a button you can press that automatically shifts the camera right in behind you so you can see what the hell you're doing. It should have it on the PC version too, you just need to find it.

And you need to push like three different buttons playing via Xbox as well to do the sideroll. Like...what's it, push the rotate button the the left, hold down A and RB at the same time AND you have to do it in the right sequence or Nero just ends up jumping and getting hit by Dante's bloody bullets.

The only advice I've got to improve your game play, is to play the game. Learn the moves, know your keys, and it'll become a breeze sooner or later. I still struggle to play it well (eh...2 years later? lol) but I've got enough exercise in to make the boss battles with Credo and Dante AWESOME!! Really, I enjoy it so much, I go back and challenge them again and again. But anyway, practise makes perfect - play more and you'll become a pro.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Vergil'sB*tch;203851 said:
You can get a 'converter' to use a PS2/3 controller on a PC.
I've got one, but i don't really know if it works though.

It works, but the PC only recognises the USB converter device, not the PS controller because it doesn't have its own drivers or identity from the PC's POV. What happens then when you load the game is that the right stick moves the character... and you have to use a program like ControlMK or JoyToKey to configure the left stick for movement in the game. Some people can get ControlMK working and say it's as good as using the PS controller normally for playing DMC games on PC... I could only get it working with JoyToKey so although the left stick moves the character like it should, it only moves him in left, right, up, down directions like a keyboard would. No smooth movement or diagonal or in-between movements are really possible. Maybe ControlMK would fix it... or maybe I should just be playing with a PC controller with sticks for a better experience. I dunno.

DMCFan77

Hmmm I see, thanks a lot for the info there guys, I appreciate your effort on the subject :) I've become somewhat better at DMC4 with the keyboard controls, although it still is kinda awkward.

aka958

Don't trust people
What?! Is it a hard time? When i played DMC3 on the PC everything was smooth and no probs at all.

Why is it hard to press 3 buttons to dodge?
One for the direction needed (easily done, as it is needed in a lots of games), one for the very important lock-on, and one for the attack.

I had a setup in DMC3 but it doesn't have the style change buttons nor the trigger to exceed.

W, A, S, D - Movement
I - Gunfire
K - Jump
J - Melee attack
N - Taunt
Spacebar - Lock on

These were the setups i used and it worked great IMO.

DMCFan77

It's getting better for me, but my problem is not the fact that you gotta press 3 buttons at once, my problem is mainly the camera. Having to press 3 buttons at once while the camera constantly moves isn't easy for a beginner, although I am getting better at it. Mission 7 and no item used so far (Human difficulty), I think it's decent, although I am playing the easiest difficulty.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
mission 12 really annoyed me. the first part was great it was the exact thing i was waiting for. and then suddenly i have 10 minutes to get out of the building. i have to jump on the blades of that stupid fan thing and then the stupid laser thing right after is is 20 times as hard as it was before. and if i fail at any thing during this part of the level i have to pretty mutch start the level over. that should have been a really fun mission it was the first dante mission. come on you have to try to make that not cool and of course capcom did. the one really good thing about dmc 2 is that it didn't have alot of that random unfun crap. just pure badly done action.

Speed_Demon

Devil Hunter
I havent had any problems when playing DMC4 for pc. I have a standard 12 button controller (USB) with analogs (PS2/PS3 look alike). Pushing down on the right analog with position the camera correctly. After playing the game numerous times with the gamepad I dont see how u can even play it with a keyboard. (believe me its impossible). Overall, I've had an awesome experience playing DMC4.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
the camera is annoying.....one time i wanted to walk to a door then the camera changed so i walked away i kept tryin then i got fed up

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I also had problems using moves that require you to hold buttons down for longer (say, summoned swords) The PC won't recognise you holding down the button for longer than a single press - mine didn't anyway - which makes it pretty much impossible to use summoned swords properly.

Top Bottom