• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"DMC Series' Future = Uncertain" Says Kobayashi

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
So, three days ago, in an article that was publicized by absolutely no one in the gaming press, Sengoku Basara-brainchild and DMC4 producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi stated that they wanted to "hope to steadily develop games for PS4 in the future", what with the "[release] of DMC, Sengoku Basara, and Resident Evil on the system."

He also stated that: "For the DMC series, it’s undecided at the moment. However, the fans that have been waiting for the DMC4 Special Edition on the eve of the 7th anniversary seem to have been numerous. I think the voice of the core fans is strong, and we want to be firmly in touch in the future."

So, this pretty much confirms Capcom's acknowledgement of DMC as a worthy financial asset, and not a sinkhole of corporate despair. The series isn't dead, not as long as they can milk funds from it.

The only, immortal question that remains now is this: Which series is going to continue, or better yet, are BOTH series going to continue?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
  1. If they milk Devil May Cry like Street Fighter/Assasin's Creed/CoD, then the series was dead before it got its DMC5.
  2. I'd rather Capcom keeps DMC, and gives the rebooted version to Ninja Theory and let them get to it when they feel like it. Problem solved.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So, if the voices of the core fans are "strong," then why is the series itself considered to be "undecided"?

I personally think that they'll either keep procrastinating until the majority of the fanbase loses interest, develop a DMC1 Special Edition (or DMC3 "ultimate" edition), or turn to crowdfunding.

For some reason, they really don't want to (fully) pay for a DMC5.

Cheap ********. :shifty:

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
So, if the voice of the core fans are "strong," then why is the series itself considered to be "undecided"?
I think the decision to continue the franchise is decided, but the question of which franchise---OG, or reboot---is in question.

Personally, I'd go with both. DmC was cheap to make, and the sequels can be made in similar fashion, while the bulk of time and expense is put into the original DMC series....that way both fanbases can be pleased.

Basically, think of what Capcom is doing with the big-budget main series Resident Evil games, and the small, easy pitches in the Revelations games. A balance of high and low costs, that keep both sets of fans happy.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Personally, I'd go with both. DmC was cheap to make, and the sequels can be made in similar fashion, while the bulk of time and expense is put into the original DMC series....that way both fanbases can be pleased.
How were those constantly fluctuating backgrounds (and combat animations) cheap to make?

Edit: While I would love to see a DmC2 on a portable system (the way the "Revelation" RE games are), I doubt that they could fit all that on a smaller scale.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I think the decision to continue the franchise is decided, but the question of which franchise---OG, or reboot---is in question.

Basically, think of what Capcom is doing with the big-budget main series Resident Evil games, and the small, easy pitches in the Revelations games. A balance of high and low costs, that keep both sets of fans happy.
Good idea. But there's a huge flaw. It makes sense and Capcom's full of dumb@$$e$
Anyway, my 2 cents, I'd like a DMC5, cause DMC4 imo, raised some of questions, and leaving them unanswered is frustrating (My main issue after I saw DmC's debut trailer, not the hair). But I'd be open to a DmC2, maybe they could explore the angels a bit more.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It feels like they are being indecisive about a question they should know the answer too which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Honestly as to what direction they should go in I don't really know since I liked both DMC4/DmC but I didn't walk out really loving either.

best option is to continue with DMC5 and have DmC on the back-burner and trying more experimental things like a Afro Samurai 2 episodic style series for more DmC content.

DMC seems to be the favored one plus I rather have NT stay with DmC but I like them doing other things so i don't mind them coming back on a limited basis.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
So in the end its all up to DMC4 or DmC: DE sales. just as expected.

I guess now we just wait and see, really. As much as I like DmC, I'd still personally favour the continuation of the original series. More so due to the fact that I want them to address certain things. I don't think we should argue which one should/shouldn't continue. But it'd make more sense, and probably please a lot of people, if they wrapped things up with DMC.

Then if they want to go back to DmC, then by all means do.

outoftheblue

Why would the DMC future have to be decided against DmC again? They already did that. When they decided to reboot the series after DMC4, they were expecting bigger sales. They didn´t come. Period.
I´m not saying DmC is unworthy to be continued or that it didn´t sell well comparing to what it costed, but it didn´t outsell DMC4 and that is a fact.
Whatever Capcom is waiting for, I don´t believe it´s the selling results for the Special Edition to be compared to the Definitive Edition ones. That test has pased already.
They either are working on DMC5 and keeping it under wraps for obvious reasons or they don´t have the money right now to invest in such a big game....Whatever the reason, seeing if fans are still interested is nonesense.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I guess now we just wait and see, really. As much as I like DmC, I'd still personally favour the continuation of the original series. More so due to the fact that I want them to address certain things. I don't think we should argue which one should/shouldn't continue. But it'd make more sense, and probably please a lot of people, if they wrapped things up with DMC.

Then if they want to go back to DmC, then by all means do.
Personally I already dealt with thought that DMC4: SE will be last DMC game I played. So I don't expect any positive changes. In the end Capcom probably takes either DmC or can franchise all together so it won't changes much for me either way :/

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
In the end Capcom probably takes either DmC or can franchise all together so it won't changes much for me either way :/

Why are you so convinced that Capcom wants to go "DmC or nothing"? There's nothing supporting that. You seem convinced, for some reason, that they want DmC2 so bad and they're gonna make it at any moment by canning DMC, which is clearly not the case.

Why can't you see that DMC5 is the more likely to be made? I can understand being pessimistic and wanting to **** all over Capcom, but be real, man.

Also I agree that the ideal scenario for everyone would be the one @WolfOD64 suggested.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Why can't you see that DMC5 is the more likely to be made? I can understand being pessimistic and wanting to **** all over Capcom, but be real, man.
,You know with each article like this my expectations fall lower and lower. And since i don't trust Capcom I just expect for them to take worst course of action .

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
???
But that article actually suggests Kobayashi acknowledged fans's desire for DMC.
He also states that nothing known on future of franchise, meaning neither he nor Itsuno is in charge of decisions, but rather some executives who have nothing to do with actual game development.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
He also states that nothing known on future of franchise, meaning neither he nor Itsuno is in charge of decisions, but rather some executives who have nothing to do with actual game development.

That doesn't back up your assertion though.

Top Bottom