• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Review by Angry Joe

Nvzman

Joe pointed nothing that other reviewers didnt
I wish i were a reviewer. I would talk about hundred of negative and positive things instead of how Emo Dante is.

6/10 for you AngryJoe
I found some parts of the video kinda boring and the overuse of "Dante is emo or lame" kinda got on my nerves, considering he acts like a less cringe-worthy DMC3 Dante. Kat, on the other hand, is not nearly as lifeless as he stated.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
If Grasshopper and Platinum made a colaboration, we'd probably be looking for the best japanese game ever created.
It would be so amazing that ever other developer would faint at the mere mention of the name and publishers would envy them

berto

I Saw the Devil
If Grasshopper and Platinum made a colaboration, we'd probably be looking for the best japanese game ever created.
Well, thank you captain obvious!
180px-Capt._Obvious.jpg

Slacri

As much as I like Angry Joe I think his fanatical side was showing a bit too much here to take what he said in a more legit way. I don't really understand where this emo claim comes from because I thought emo kids had hair they flicked out of their eyes constantly and complained about trivial BS. He put so much emphasis on that complaint that ultimately I think doesn't make much sense. What the hell was that video though? Is it seriously real? Someone link me if you can because I got to see it to believe it. What was that THING?!
It was a hyperbole, but the ultimate point of it is how unlikable Dante is now in his opinion and how unrecognizable he has become.

Also was seriously talking about Vergil shooting Lillith actual grounds for a complaint? Um, I don't know about you guys but I'd shoot the next DEMONIC KING and it's evil mother too. Plus you can't obviously complain about Vergil in this game being worse because that dude was so one dimensional and ZZZZZZZZZZ BORING previously. DmC brought me around to Vergil alot more than I ever did because when it comes to being a villain, the guy sucks and I know LOTS who put him to shame. Plus was the hair joke really interpreted is some kind of insult? It was meant to be ironic and was alot funnier in general to anything previous Dante could have came up with. Dante has a sense of humor that may be only funny if you're drunk or high and have the giggles. If I ever laughed at DMC, it was how hilariously bad some of the things that were said and done.
The point was how dishonorable for the character it was. Vergil made a point not to use guns and to fight with honor in the old games. It's like Batman using a gun, it just doesn't fit at all. I know it's a reboot but if you're not going to stay true to the character in any way then why even bother having it be the same name?

The white hair joke was in poor taste because it felt like a slap in the face to the old fans. Now I never cared about Dante's hair, but the hair complaints kind of represent how much the character changed and again how unrecognizable he is. He pretty much looked at the camera and said "This is how it is now, fanboys."

I think you've completely missed the point of the old DMC's.

Plus are they really going to complain about Mundus here? He was a freaking statue and then a blob of organs who looked like he got off watching Dante run back in forth through his castle doing tedious item collecting and killing his minions. He wasn't very compelling as a villain and the game just assumes I'm suppose to buy he's some kind evil powerhouse. Mundus in the new game is in context to the tale being told and controlling the world through something as important to economics as currency is a subtle but very effective way to control the world so tell me why is that considered to be some kind of flaw here?
The fact that you think Mundus controlling the U.S.A through debt shows how little you know about economics. I'd recommend taking a class sometime. It's not as if this Mundus is very comepling either, he's just a fat Lex Luthor. And not a Lex Luthor in an interesting story either.
Sure also the story satires things we have in the real world but who cares really? Are you going to tell me Bill O Reilly isn't an asshole? Or that Fox news aren't idiots themselves for the most part? They compared the MLP FiM fandom to terrorism. DmC does draw a comparison to films like They Live and the Matrix along with other things who used this plotline (They Live is a crappy movie anyway, fun at times but still bad. John Carpenter's best is obviously The Thing) but is it any worse than the very weak B-movie stories from the previous titles? Like Joe said, don't give me that BS. I see WAY more potential in this take on Dante's story than the previous stuff. It's the most Dante centric storyline than ever before because why was Dante always living in his dad's shadow despite us never seeing anything the dude did to make me believe Dante still isn't as good as his dad.
He didn't even complain about the Fox news stuff, only pointing out that you might get offended if you're a heavy conservative. He complimented the They Live style too, even though I feel it's a complete rip off.

How the people have been judging it though is completely retarded because saying DmC is bad is saying you don't know what a bad game is like Joe said. It doesn't deserve the stupid grief it gets. Take that stupid rage and fling it to the REAL BAD DMC GAMES which are 2 and 4. The direction DmC takes with this series is a hell of alot more interesting that what the previous game left us with because who honestly gives a sh!t about pointless Dante a.k.a. Nero and whatever he does with his cardboard cut out anime girlfriend. Maybe a rebooted Nero would be alot better than in the DmC universe because the only thing I liked about him was that he was voiced by my favorite Power Ranger.
Joe is correct in saying that this game just does not deserve a 0-4. But a 5-7 I feel is completely fair. How is 4 even bad? Its combat is infinitely more complex than DmC and has much more room for creativity and depth. While the plot and level design was sub-par, the combat is the best in the genre. And that's why I play DMC.

Plus am I the only person who just doesn't give a single f*ck about the style system? I play games to have fun not worrying about what achievements or trophies I get because it's all pointless to me and it's not like it holds any relevance in my life. I can score SSS rankings in the previous games easily as well but it's not like I ever gave a sh!t about it. If I did then oh look I did but I was just worried about having fun with the game and I'd rather skip this scoring count game and just get back to slashing demons.
Sure, I guess it's not a big deal if you don't care about any depth in the gameplay or a higher skill ceiling. Enjoy the watered down combat I guess.

If your a fan of Devil May Cry then you owe it to yourself to play another good game in the series because this is a hell of alot of fun. If you don't have fun with DmC then maybe you're just a boring person because I wouldn't know what to tell you then. If I see that generic anime bs again which left me with not giving a single f*ck about DMC then I might just not care anymore. They wouldn't have decided to reboot if everything was going in the right direction. DmC is taking the series in an interesting direction and breathing a breath of fresh air into to something that was on the verge of stagnation and losing its way whether you want to admit it or not.
I played it, have recently beat it on DMD and the game still doesn't deliver. I find it funny how you call anyone who disagrees with you a boring person when you're the one who seems to be taking the over the top and nonsensical story of the previous games so seriously.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It was a hyperbole, but the ultimate point of it is how unlikable Dante is now in his opinion and how unrecognizable he has become.
Like he says it's all just subjective and guess what? I can definitely rip Dante to shreds about how much of a dork he is. Dante was not the sacred character people make him out to be. He is such an easy target for jokes.
The point was how dishonorable for the character it was. Vergil made a point not to use guns and to fight with honor in the old games. It's like Batman using a gun, it just doesn't fit at all. I know it's a reboot but if you're not going to stay true to the character in any way then why even bother having it be the same name?
I am a massive comic book fan so don't compare someone as weak as Vergil to Batman. Vergil still seems pretty much the same to me. He lust for power and I guess that's all that matters with him. Vergil is a very poor excuse for a villain and why does he have a fanbase? Vergil sucks. The reboot had me paying more attention to him that I ever did.
The white hair joke was in poor taste because it felt like a slap in the face to the old fans. Now I never cared about Dante's hair, but the hair complaints kind of represent how much the character changed and again how unrecognizable he is. He pretty much looked at the camera and said "This is how it is now, fanboys."
The white hair joke thrown in there was actually funny. I interpreted it to be more ironic than anything else. Of course the fanatical ones will interpret it like some kind of insult which just makes me respond with rolling eyes telling them to just shut up.
I think the point of DMC was to slash and shoot my way through a bunch of demons. The main characters appearance is the last thing on my mind because I don't care in the slightest. He can be bald or have a rainbow fro for all I care.
The fact that you think Mundus controlling the U.S.A through debt shows how little you know about economics. I'd recommend taking a class sometime. It's not as if this Mundus is very comepling either, he's just a fat Lex Luthor. And not a Lex Luthor in an interesting story either. He didn't even complain about the Fox news stuff, only pointing out that you might get offended if you're a heavy conservative. He complimented the They Live style too, even though I feel it's a complete rip off.
If I wanted to control the world, I think I'd start by making the world follow one currency. Was the generic B movie plotlines that followed typical stories we seen done 1000 times over any different from what the new one may be doing? Quit keeping the previous games exempt from any criticism in that department.
Joe is correct in saying that this game just does not deserve a 0-4. But a 5-7 I feel is completely fair. How is 4 even bad? Its combat is infinitely more complex than DmC and has much more room for creativity and depth. While the plot and level design was sub-par, the combat is the best in the genre. And that's why I play DMC.
4 was freaking terrible and a solid combat system does not save it from the sh!t list. Introducing some very obnoxious design choices and overall coming across as a very lazy game they hardly even tried with is why it's a sh!t game. Video games have evolved over the years and DMC 4 does not stack up to the gaming standard we are now in especially since it was coming off something as great as DMC 3. Did you suddenly forget all the grief fans gave 4? 4 was subjected to alot of rage from fans and it damn well deserved it so I don't know where the sudden praise comes from.
Sure, I guess it's not a big deal if you don't care about any depth in the gameplay or a higher skill ceiling. Enjoy the watered down combat I guess.
This combat still has depth even if the entry bar is lowered. Quit confusing quantity over quality because this is one well defined system and isn't watered down but doing what a reboot should do at this point for this aging series. The only thing that maybe is a little dissapointing is how the enemy combinations that are tossed at you in later points in the game really don't have you pushing the variety you can really have and that somewhat limits what the player is capable of at times. Not a game breaker but can be improved.
I played it, have recently beat it on DMD and the game still doesn't deliver. I find it funny how you call anyone who disagrees with you a boring person when you're the one who seems to be taking the over the top and nonsensical story of the previous games so seriously.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger

The fact that you think Mundus controlling the U.S.A through debt shows how little you know about economics. I'd recommend taking a class sometime. It's not as if this Mundus is very comepling either, he's just a fat Lex Luthor. And not a Lex Luthor in an interesting story either. He didn't even complain about the Fox news stuff, only pointing out that you might get offended if you're a heavy conservative. He complimented the They Live style too, even though I feel it's a complete rip off.
I think reboot and origin story used by both Capcom and Ninja Theory is what is making DmC have a lot of issues.

A reboot for me is completely rewriting the story and probably ignoring the old story because it was poorly written in the past, like having too many plot holes, stuff not making sense, was incoherent, etc. and just making the new story more understandable. It might involve an entire take on the story itself. Basically it's like the company saying "We screwed up. Let's try again." The DMC series for me is not on this path and DmC doesn't feel like a reboot. An example of a reboot would be the Transformers Aligned Universe began by Transformers: War for Cybertron.

An origin story is exactly what it is: an origin story. It's like Batman Begins of the Dark Knight trilogy (even though it was in another universe; Christopher Nolan's). Origin stories tell the origin of the protagonist, antagonist, conflicts, etc. But it is not necessarily a reboot. DmC is definitely not an origin story to DMC. It is, however, an origin story to Dante of DmC.

To me, DmC is more akin to the Noir and Ultimate (and the other) universes of Marvel. Noir Spider-Man had and used guns at times, while Noir Wolverine I think basically gave up and left his life of being an X-Men. Ultimate Spider-Man *SPOILERS* dies and is succeeded by Mile Morales as the new Spider-Man. Ultimate is closer to the Mainstream Universe, but Noir is very different to the Mainstream universe, which is what DmC feels to me: close but not close enough to DMC.

Also, please note, I'm not that knowledgeable about reboots, origin stories, re-tellings, etc. I just hear them a lot and find the meaning from what happens; something that happens a lot and people aren't aware of.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Can someone please explain how do I separate my answers from his responses?My comments just got lumped in with his comment.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I think reboot and origin story used by both Capcom and Ninja Theory is what is making DmC have a lot of issues.

A reboot for me is completely rewriting the story and probably ignoring the old story because it was poorly written in the past, like having too many plot holes, stuff not making sense, was incoherent, etc. and just making the new story more understandable. It might involve an entire take on the story itself. Basically for me it's like the company saying "We screwed up. Let's try again." The DMC series for me is not on this path and DmC doesn't feel like a reboot. An example of a reboot would be the Transformers Aligned Universe began by Transformers: War for Cybertron.

An origin story is exactly what it is: an origin story. It's like Batman Begins of the Dark Knight trilogy (even though it was in another universe; Christopher Nolan's). Origin stories tell the origin of the protagonist, antagonist, conflicts, etc. But it is not necessarily a reboot. DmC is definitely not an origin story to DMC. It is, however, an origin story to Dante of DmC.

To me, DmC is more akin to the Noir and Ultimate (and the other) universes of Marvel. Noir Spider-Man had and used guns at times, while Noir Wolverine I think basically gave up and left his life of being an X-Men. Ultimate Spider-Man *SPOILERS* dies and is succeeded by Mile Morales as the new Spider-Man. Ultimate is closer to the Mainstream Universe, but Noir is very different to the Mainstream universe, which is what DmC feels to me: close but not close enough to the DMC.

Also, please note, I'm not that knowledgeable about reboots, origin stories, re-tellings, etc. I just hear them a lot and find the meaning from what happens; something that happens a lot and people aren't aware of.
I don't like the decision for Miles in Ultimate. It's not like I hate the character it's just the choice because Peter in Ultimate had alot more potential. Plus in Amazing *SPOILER ALERT* Peter dies in Doc Ock's body to have Otto to become the new Spider-Man? Now the writer for this story is one kick ass writer for Spider-Man but this choice just seems like another dumb one. Peter downloaded his memories into his body so eventually Peter will somehow find a way to return putting things right back where they were. Hell, it's even basically forshadowed in the 1st issue of Superior Spider-Man.

Nvzman

This game is the ultimate example of They Changed It, Now It Sucks.
Seriously if this game was called something else more people would've liked it. The fact that people hate this game by it's name only is just sad. And yeah, Slacri doesn't really have any valid points, considering the only thing "watered" down in terms of combat in DmC is how easy it is to get a SSS rank, but other than that it's still pretty good.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I don't like the decision for Miles in Ultimate. It's not like I hate the character it's just the choice because Peter in Ultimate had alot more potential. Plus in Amazing *SPOILER ALERT* Peter dies in Doc Ock's body to have Otto to become the new Spider-Man? Now the writer for this story is one kick ass writer for Spider-Man but this choice just seems like another dumb one. Peter downloaded his memories into his body so eventually Peter will somehow find a way to return putting things right back where they were. Hell, it's even basically forshadowed in the 1st issue of Superior Spider-Man.
I didn't know about that with Amazing Spider-Man, mostly because I don't read comics nor do I own them. The closest thing I have is inFamous: Anarchy and two comics I think were from PAX West last year. And Miles Morales being who he is, I sort of like the rookie hero. But because of his ethnicity, anyone complaining about him usually faces the race card. Even if the complaints are legitimate and not actual hate ones.

Edit: Quoting multiple people is weird...
This game is the ultimate example of They Changed It, Now It Sucks.
Seriously if this game was called something else more people would've liked it. The fact that people hate this game by it's name only is just sad. And yeah, Slacri doesn't really have any valid points, considering the only thing "watered" down in terms of combat in DmC is how easy it is to get a SSS rank, but other than that it's still pretty good.
*Cough*Final Fantasy XIII*Cough* Yeah, beating a dead horse and possibly inciting a flame war, but I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and probably Lightning Returns. Legitimate reasons for not liking something is okay. Bashing, insulting others who like it, etc. is not okay. Not that I'm saying anyone is doing that.

YAY More edits: I should proofread more.

ChaserTech

Also was seriously talking about Vergil shooting Lillith actual grounds for a complaint? Um, I don't know about you guys but I'd shoot the next DEMONIC KING and it's evil mother too. Plus you can't obviously complain about Vergil in this game being worse because that dude was so one dimensional and ZZZZZZZZZZ BORING previously. DmC brought me around to Vergil alot more than I ever did because when it comes to being a villain, the guy sucks and I know LOTS who put him to shame.

Well, rebooted characters are supposed to keep their key components in tact. If a character isn't recognizable to some extent, then the reboot did a bad job at recapturing old elements within a series. With this reboot, Dante is a bit easy to recognize. He has a similar personality, which made it easy to distinguish him as Dante. This Vergil however, is all over the place. He's not "calm, cool, and collected" as he was in DMC3. In general, he was fairly inferior to Dante's character development.

How the people have been judging it though is completely retarded because saying DmC is bad is saying you don't know what a bad game is like Joe said. It doesn't deserve the stupid grief it gets. Take that stupid rage and fling it to the REAL BAD DMC GAMES which are 2 and 4.

2 is bad. 4 isn't that bad considering that it had some good aspects of it, especially the combat system. I don't know why you keep insisting that DMC4 is "so bad". You're treating it like how some people are treating DmC, which is kinda unfair.

If your a fan of Devil May Cry then you owe it to yourself to play another good game in the series because this is a hell of alot of fun. If you don't have fun with DmC then maybe you're just a boring person because I wouldn't know what to tell you then.

Yeah and if you like this game then I guess you're a really casual player. :/ *sarcasm*

But seriously if a person doesn't want to play the game, and if they are a fan of the series, they are entitled the right to NOT PLAY THE GAME. That doesn't give you the right to call them "boring" just because they didn't have fun with the game.

If I see that generic anime bs again which left me with not giving a single f*ck about DMC then I might just not care anymore. They wouldn't have decided to reboot if everything was going in the right direction. DmC is taking the series in an interesting direction and breathing a breath of fresh air into to something that was on the verge of stagnation and losing its way whether you want to admit it or not.

I personally thought a lot of things could have been explained about DMC4. At least focus on Nero's story where he's older, as well as talking about his arm. Seeing how Nero asked Dante "if he'll ever see him again" maybe they could reintroduce "Uncle Dante". That could have been a slightly interesting tale of the series since it would be explaining at least a few aspects of it. Although, it's true that DMC was still steering offtrack.

Also, if you hated the "anime bs", why did you even played the series to begin with? That kind of makes no sense at all.

Soupie

tl;dr review of review. Conclusion, poster is as fanatical as he accuses Angry Joe of being.

Top Bottom