• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ters

quick tip: this is just someone mocking the creator of The Arkh Project to get a rise out of you (and succeeding) responding in any form of seriousness is a pure of waste of time

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
quick tip: this is just someone mocking the creator of The Arkh Project to get a rise out of you (and succeeding) responding in any form of seriousness is a pure of waste of time
You didn't. We called you out on being a troll:troll: But you gave us a good laugh....not quite as good as the 'DmC hates women' topic...but nice try. Next time, tell us how Dante molested Kat just by walking out the trailer naked or how Mundus raped Lilith because he did her doggy style. :troll:
Capture20_zps3caeec0e.png

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The OP is probably gone now, but what the heck:p
ftgy_zps2bdd5d8c.png

Troll topic or not I bet this is what a few people were thinking at least and It is now out there for all to see. Even if it gets closed I hope this won't be brought up again since people know what to expect for a response now..even if it was so obvious...
Good point, but clearly this OP was not being serious...a shame considering the sensible topic we could have had, but....the OP was so kneejerk and....obvious.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Dude, sit down somewhere with this racism bullcrap. You don't even know what true racism is. I've seen racism fare worse then not having a black person in a DMC game. As an African American myself, I really didn't see it as a big deal that there were no black people in DmC, because I've expected that from DMC1-4 not having black people. However Phinias was the closest to a black person in DmC, and I'm happy about that.

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
Dude, sit down somewhere with this racism bullcrap. You don't even know what true racism is. I've seen racism fare worse then not having a black person in a DMC game. As an African American myself, I really didn't see it as a big deal that there were no black people in DmC, because I've expected that from DMC1-4 not having black people. However Phinias was the closest to a black person in DmC, and I'm happy about that.

Frekin Phinias was my favorite character in this entire game Seriously! Dante and Vergil came after him, he was the only one true to himself and the way he went about carrying himself only showed he had something to gain and great knowledge. I only hope he gets a part in the next DmC if there is one.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Frekin Phinias was my favorite character in this entire game Seriously! Dante and Vergil came after him, he was the only one true to himself and the way he went about carrying himself only showed he had something to gain and great knowledge. I only hope he gets a part in the next DmC if there is one.
A guy with 3 levels and about 10 minutes of screen time somehow outshines the protagonist and antagonist? Impressive. :p

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I...

Actually agree with the troll (somewhat). And I hated Captain Planet.

Edit:

(I have no explanation for this... it's just... a feeling. Sorry that I can't shine any light into the reason behind it)

WAIT.

I'm starting to get a clear vision as to why. I'll PM why... (if anyone is actually interested to know, that is) to avoid any controversy.

Or just post it here, if it won't be a problem. I haven't decided.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I...

Actually agree with the troll (somewhat). And I hated Captain Planet.

Edit:

(I have no explanation for this... it's just... a feeling. Sorry that I can't shine any light into the reason behind it)

WAIT.

I'm starting to get a clear vision as to why. I'll PM why... (if anyone is actually interested to know, that is) to avoid any controversy.

Or just post it here, if it won't be a problem. I haven't decided.
Go ahead if you would like to. It's not like you're trolling. ^_^ Then we can get a sensible topic discussion from this.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Isn't this the same person that made the DmC mistreats women thread?
Not sure, but I did bring that up about the women hating thread. And yes, this person was a troll, and admitted to it after we called them out on it.
If so, this is obviously trolling.

However, I do find it werid that none of the Devil May Cry games have had a african american hero or character for that matter...
Also no Chinese, Indian, latino, native american.... lots of different races haven't been included. I'd like to see a shake up of that, even if it's just in the tertiary characters or sidekicks.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Go ahead if you would like to. It's not like you're trolling. ^_^ Then we can get a sensible topic discussion from this.

Shadow Man

(I like the way Nettie yells it at the end in total despair in the bad ending (right before she dies, too... really bleak, if you ask me))

(And I think Vergil took a little too much "inspiration" from Legion (the guy with the sword))

Will edit because I am now typing rest of response right now....

EDIT:

Anyway... Moviebob did a video on race and anime. I don't agree with him on some things (like big government) but I do agree with him on almost everything else.

I'll find the vid later, but here's another (really) racist vid on how "Japan sees Mexicans."

As Bob explains in his vid, this isn't so much "racism" as it is just flat out cultural ignorance.

Keep in mind that this is one of the most homogenous countries in the world you're talking about here. Japan won't even give equal rights to second generation Koreans there (which explains why a lot of them are Yakuza in the first place).

As I was saying, something occurred to me while I was thinking about why it bothered me that there weren't more um... ethnic differences in DmC.

There was something that Bob once said. He said he remembered reading a (relatively old) book with a white kid telling a black kid...

Prepare yourselves for this...

"Why would you need a costume for Halloween? You already are something."

Yikes.

But... before we get all up in arms over that one seemingly offensive statement, we have to remember that that question was being asked honestly, without any malice behind it. The kid had no idea that he was asking anything offensive.

And, due the time period, neither did the audience. They also thought the question was innocent at the time, as well. Either way, this book was forgotten, and no one really writes anything like that anymore unless they're looking into borderline shock-comedy.

However, a lot of games carry this sentiment.

Whenever you see a white character either in a jrpg, j-action game, or even western action game, you'll find that the white characters always have at least somewhat elaborate costumes.

With black people (if any) you'll usually find them in normal attire, and not much else. It's as if being black alone makes an individual different enough to make up for the lack of an imaginative ensemble.

This is actually a pretty big problem. Shadowman himself doesn't seem to be wearing much outside of a pair of jeans, a shadowmask, and a gun. There are a lot of alternative costumes in the game, but it really doesn't make up for the lack of creative design.

I know Dante only had a pair of pants when starting out, but then he got a long red jacket, gun holsters, a leather strap thing (I'm not getting into the "man-bra" here), and a sword to top it all off.

Shadowman also had a sword, shield, and a variety of other weapons as well, but he never "wore" them on his body, the same way as Dante did, further strengthening the subconscious "message" that he doesn't need anything else.

Not because "he's independent" of them, but because his race makes him (subconsciously) different enough already.

This wasn't a "street-wise" character either. This was a English-Lit dropout who had a rather expansive vocabulary (all the more so when he became/"separated" himself into Shadowman).

Shadowman considered himself his own personal entity with Michael Leroi merely as his "host"... even though they really were the same person (this is probably due to the fact that the Shadowmask controls your (and the collected Dark Souls') insanity.

LeRoi had gone through a series of traumatic events, which would explain the apparent multiple personality disorder. And even if he hadn't, the Shadowmask is the amalgamation of the series of previous hosts, including Micheal's -- making it a part of him, yet none of him, at the same time.

That right there makes him an immensely interesting character.

However, when talking about pure aesthetics, the message to the player is, there's no need for an elaborate costume.

I disagree with this, and think that the costume should have had more thought put into it.

They took care of that detail in the sequel... it's just a shame the sequel itself wasn't as good.

shadowman-2econdcoming-2.jpg

Doesn't matter what a person is. There needs to be... more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom