• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

This is a discussion that NEEDS to be had if we're gonna get this whitey centric gaming industry anywhere. To break it down:

1. There are NO heroes Of Color anywhere in the game. The closest you get is a one eyed demon named Phineas who has a Man of Color voice acting him, but you won't see a SINGLE Person of Color anywhere in the game. Instead, you have to deal with Whitey hero, Cracker Love Interest, Snowball Villain, and not a GOTDAMN thing else. No representation here of anything but the White Cisgendered Heterosexual that we just don't have near enough games for.

2. Much of the reason behind the reboot was, as stated by part of the team that made the game, it was "too japanese" before. Implying that being part of a proud PoC culture is a BAD THING??? Typical white boy mindset.

3. Despite "Japanesey" being a bad thing, the character Vergil has no problem APPROPRIATING East-Asian PoC cultures by wielding a katana.

4. Dante's hair starts out black. What color does it turn when he becomes more powerful? WHITE. So being white is inherently better than being black, that's what this racist ass game is telling me.

5. Vergil shoots a defenseless pregnant womyn, intentionally killing her baby so that she can suffer before finally murdering her as well. What is the rationalization for this? They are demons, and the only good demon is a dead one it seems. This is in spite of the fact that the "HEROES" of the game are partially demons themselves. Internalized racism much?

Let's have a nice, mature thread where we can discuss the racist themes in this game calmly and intelligently. AKA I don't wanna hear any a yall's whitesplaining

AlchemistFromEden

This is a discussion that NEEDS to be had if we're gonna get this whitey centric gaming industry anywhere. To break it down:

1. There are NO heroes Of Color anywhere in the game. The closest you get is a one eyed demon named Phineas who has a Man of Color voice acting him, but you won't see a SINGLE Person of Color anywhere in the game. Instead, you have to deal with Whitey hero, Cracker Love Interest, Snowball Villain, and not a GOTDAMN thing else. No representation here of anything but the White Cisgendered Heterosexual that we just don't have near enough games for.

2. Much of the reason behind the reboot was, as stated by part of the team that made the game, it was "too japanese" before. Implying that being part of a proud PoC culture is a BAD THING??? Typical white boy mindset.

3. Despite "Japanesey" being a bad thing, the character Vergil has no problem APPROPRIATING East-Asian PoC cultures by wielding a katana.

4. Dante's hair starts out black. What color does it turn when he becomes more powerful? WHITE. So being white is inherently better than being black, that's what this racist ass game is telling me.

5. Vergil shoots a defenseless pregnant womyn, intentionally killing her baby so that she can suffer before finally murdering her as well. What is the rationalization for this? They are demons, and the only good demon is a dead one it seems. This is in spite of the fact that the "HEROES" of the game are partially demons themselves. Internalized racism much?

Let's have a nice, mature thread where we can discuss the racist themes in this game calmly and intelligently. AKA I don't wanna hear any a yall's whitesplaining
get the hell out of this forum if this is the kinda **** you wanna pull -__- seriously? racism??? Thread Reported

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
This has got to be a troll. Is this the same person who did the 'DmC hates women', you know that thread about Dante's penis-sword and...that stuff. :p

Honestly, people can read anything into games, books, TV if they look hard enough and twist things.

Besides...isn't the fact that Sparda and Eva got together like anti-racism? And their children are dmon and angel.

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
Let's look at most anime...mostly white/tan American looking people when they are meant to depict very white Japanese people...This is due to convenience and the more manageable essence of emotion to be conveyed. You can also take my word on this since my occupation is in Anime and Video-games of all sorts. All of devil may cry's roots has been in Japan including DmCm that has even been given a more western viewpoint. Though for the sake of your argument, heck with where this game is from and screw racism since Mundus is shown as the same damned color as the current US president who says he is black. Lilith is also shown to be white trash to hooker(with lack of better word) status which IS true and that which is even more "racist" towards whites than anyone else because of that fact. This game seems to even demean the entire Western Government, Media, and even citizen(as drones which can also even be true in this day in age!). Again forget racism, since lack of color is not racism. Racism is demeaning those of another race. To not show that is also racism? Give me a break. It seems much more likely that Lighter colored skinned people are only belittling themselves here in this game. I say this as a citizen of the US, Japan and Brazil.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I'm now wondering what's next? DmC advocates abortion?! Just because of Lilith being shot...and the baby fight:/

Redheads? Eva was a ginger, but didn't have any freckles and that hair was way too striking a red to be natural.

I as a ginger myself, take offense to that and Eva being an angel because clearly we gingers have no souls so we can’t possibly be angels! >_< Shame on you Ninja Theory on the inaccurate portrayal of redheads.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Well said! If there was an applause smiley face, I would give it to you.^_^

Redheads? Eva was a ginger, but didn't have any freckles and that hair was way too striking a red to be natural.

I as a ginger myself, take offense to that and Eva being an angel because clearly we gingers have no souls so we can’t possibly be angels! >_< Shame on you Ninja Theory on the inaccurate portrayal of redheads.
Let's just say DmC promotes hate of all genders, all types sexuality, hair colours, abilities, social class....pretty much everything. :p Now everyone can be happy.

Oh, and I forgot the customary DmC meme about the first post- since this has to be a troll
eo_zps2266ddcb.png

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Even though this is a troll I thought I'd reply to some of it.
2. Much of the reason behind the reboot was, as stated by part of the team that made the game, it was "too japanese" before. Implying that being part of a proud PoC culture is a BAD THING??? Typical white boy mindset.It was the Japanese company Capcom calling for the Western change. So it's the Japanese that did this, not white people.

3. Despite "Japanesey" being a bad thing, the character Vergil has no problem APPROPRIATING East-Asian PoC cultures by wielding a katana.Vergil wasn't exactly Japanese looking in the classic DmC games, but he still had a katana. Besides, to me DMC was like a Japanese take on Western cool anyway. So I don't see the problem with that.

4. Dante's hair starts out black. What color does it turn when he becomes more powerful? WHITE. So being white is inherently better than being black, that's what this racist ass game is telling me.Now you're just being silly.:troll: And would it be the same if his hair turned pink at the end:lol:

5. Vergil shoots a defenseless pregnant womyn, intentionally killing her baby so that she can suffer before finally murdering her as well. What is the rationalization for this? They are demons, and the only good demon is a dead one it seems. This is in spite of the fact that the "HEROES" of the game are partially demons themselves. Internalized racism much?No, you've got that all wrong. That scene shows that DmC advocates abortion, murdering white demon ladies and the racial eradication of demons starting with their women and children.:troll:

What does that word even mean? :/

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
Why do I have to "like" so many of the responses here?

In all decency to the OP if there is something else you would like to elaborate on from anything here I would only wish to converse civilly about it. You came off a bit uneasy it seems to most here so if you can explain in more depth I think we could have a rational discussion about this. Though if your intent is to only say that there are barely anyone of color in this game then you are correct and that is just how it is and there are many games out that have protagonists from around the world that contain every color that there is known to this world and more! Look at every other DMC game...You should know by now what your getting into eh?

Then again you even got Trish in DMC4 who pulled a Tropic Thunder and was: "I'm the Chick Playing a Chick, Disguised as Another Chick" (Dude replaced with Chick xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom