• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've been trying to get my thoughts out but I don't want to post a personal post with mod related material. Before I have to get the back to modding I want to post my thoughts while I got a chance.

As most people here probably know I've never really liked DmC. I've never hidden that fact and it's taken me a long time to get used to the idea of it. I tried to be fair with it but unlike most my issues were all about the visual and narrative changes; actually, I had the same issues with DMC4 but DMC4 I kinda tolerated rather than enjoyed. Besides that I did have the same issues with this game than everyone else did, the disproportionate attack powers of the angel and demon weapons, the glitches, the low frame rate, and the biggie for me, no lock on. Also, by contrast to the previous games it was pretty damn easy (I Platinumed the game in 3 days, that's not a plus nor am I that good). However, if I am been honest, were this game set in the DMC world, if Dante was still wearing red and the hair was white and was the same as the last 4 games, yes, I would've gotten it day 1, even if I knew about all those issues before hand. However, no, I would still hold the game accountable for said issues we've all had but I would still support it, not gonna lie or make pretence.

With that being said I still have to say that I am not a convert. My issue is still the same, that this is not what I look for when play DMC games, and to be honest DMC4 isn't it either. Be that as it may, I have to say, I do appreciate this effort. It's great, really. There have been other remasters but for a DMC game to get one, possibly 2, of this scale is quite a treat for me. While I'm not a 1st day buyer I am going to keep an eye out for this with a more positive outlook than the first time around. Honestly? I'm actually a bit excited at the prospect.

ChaserTech

So, I just wanted to talk about something that was mentioned - that the Definitive Edition's addition of things like Lock-On and some other features are proof of them relenting and admitting that people who complained "were right". It's not at all a matter of whether something was right or wrong. Capcom and Ninja Theory had an aim with DmC, they wanted to try new and different things, and they couldn't just do them in in the classic series because look what happened when it was its own universe with nothing to do with the original continuity for Christ's sake!

Except it still had "Devil May Cry" associated with it in the first initial trailer. People were pretty much enraged by it.
I understand that this happens to other franchises but a lot of people really wanted a DMC game. At least with the Dante that they knew and loved.

It's not like they acquiesced to things like "Fix this ****!" in regards to Angel Lift keeping you aloft, they implemented a way to lock onto targets, they refined rough edges we found through millions of hours of collective playtime, and sough to make a good game better, and better for everyone.

People wanted DmC to be completely changed, before it could be seen how the ideas would actually work. Upon release, we see that the game works just fine, like any other well-put-together game does. Functions that people demanded weren't exactly a necessity for achieving a "Devil May Cry experience". Look at any videos from michellegun or SamD and you can see that the game is certainly just as exciting a spectacle.

Lock-On honestly should have functioned like Bayonetta's. There was really no need to remove the ability to Hard Lock-on. And since Hard Lock-On is making a return (which I'm kinda surprised since developers were basically saying it was a design choice to keep Soft Lock-On a thing due to over complication of the controls, to sum it up.) this shows that it could have worked originally.

And uh...didn't SamD also use mods to make DmC slightly better than it's original self? Such as Turbo mode, faster rainstorm, enabling all weapons to attack enemies? Didn't he also exclaimed how DmC needed to be in 1080p 60fps to fully enjoy the game for what it's worth? Which is stuff that everyone complained about not being in DmC (1080p and 60fps was not included for console users), and more.

It's not a matter of who they listened to or why, the main point is that they listened, and they gave people options! OPTIONS! All of the things the Definitive Edition tweaks makes the overall game better, in line with the kind of game it was meant to be - a good entry point for newcomers who won't be discouraged. Then, the Definitive Edition also adds in brand new options for veterans of the original, as well as veterans of the entire franchise. It gives a lock-on feature that can be nothing but helpful if someone wants to make use of it (although it is in no way necessary), and new game perks like Turbo and Hardcore to modify the game more and more. OPTIONS!

It's not accepting they were wrong to make DmC the way they did, it's offering more ways to play a game that they were given the chance to actually make the way they wanted first, and then listening to applicable feedback. These features make the game better, but it was still a great game without them.

You do realize that Hard Lock-on gives you more access to moves? Mainly associated with R1 (Hold Back + Attack). Granted it's just 1 single combined input for each weapon, but I wouldn't call it unnecessary at all. Again, even Bayonetta takes advantage of the Hard Lock-On system to add extra moves.

With DmC, it could have easily worked like this:

- Replace 1 of the evade buttons with Manual Lock-On
- Create a new input associated with the Lock-On Button (Back + Melee or Launcher)
- Four extra ground moves for each weapon Dante has depending if you use Melee/Launcher input on the Ground or in the air.

And yeah I get that they gave us the options that players wanted since the release of the game, but it doesn't excuse people from questioning NT/Capcom's responses when people have asked "Why was x changed/removed/added?" as well as those who defended these choices to begin with. Although it's still good that they have added these features.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Except it still had "Devil May Cry" associated with it in the first initial trailer. People were pretty much enraged by it.
I understand that this happens to other franchises but a lot of people really wanted a DMC game. At least with the Dante that they knew and loved.

So? They wanted to keep the implication of the kind of gameplay, that whole "DMC DNA" thing, but wanted to try a different direction. They have every right to do something like that with their own franchise if they want, without having to create a brand spankin' new one just for the purpose, especially if the purpose is to use that specific DNA. Whether it's Devil May Cry or Jackrabbit Slim's Ultimate Blood Mambo, no one has the right to just bitch and demand things be changed from their original intention. There isn't just one way to go about it.

Lock-On honestly should have functioned like Bayonetta's. There was really no need to remove the ability to Hard Lock-on. And since Hard Lock-On is making a return (which I'm kinda surprised since developers were basically saying it was a design choice to keep Soft Lock-On a thing due to over complication of the controls, to sum it up.) this shows that it could have worked originally.

From what I remember of my time with Bayo, using lock-on inputs was an alternative to skills you still had access to, like the Stinger move being done with either forward+forward+attack or lock+forward+attack. I don't remember there being "lock function only" ones, though >.>

The simplification of controls thing is about not requiring lock on for the use of abilities. It is literally a function that forces the use of a camera feature for abilities, which when you think about it is sorta silly. Sure it all directs things and whatnot, but they wanted things to not have to be that stringent, to be more a bit more free. However, this isn't to say that the inclusion of a lock-on isn't helpful in situations - but the thing is that they didn't acquiesce and recreate the classic Hard Lock with all it entails with abilities used with it, they added in a helpful focusing feature, which also offers an enemy health meter for good measure.

It's not a matter of whether it would have worked originally (even I have said that it could have had exactly what they are implementing now), it's them not wanting to have been forced to change their aim because of complaints.

And uh...didn't SamD also use mods to make DmC slightly better than it's original self? Such as Turbo mode, faster rainstorm, enabling all weapons to attack enemies? Didn't he also exclaimed how DmC needed to be in 1080p 60fps to fully enjoy the game for what it's worth? Which is stuff that everyone complained about not being in DmC (1080p and 60fps was not included for console users), and more.

He did a lot showing off all the little things he was doing with the game, but he still did quite a bit with the vanilla version. Either way it's an aside to my point that there's plenty of videos out there of people twisting DmC around their fingers the way the likes of you do with the classics. The spectacle is still there in spades.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I've been trying to get my thoughts out but I don't want to post a personal post with mod related material. Before I have to get the back to modding I want to post my thoughts while I got a chance.

It's totally possible to be an active member of fora while still maintaining both personal and moderating aspects, it's just about the distinction between the two. Don't fret about what you're saying until you start typing something up and use your moderating clout during your discussions - it's easy to keep in check if you just remind yourself to look out for it.

My issue is still the same, that this is not what I look for when play DMC games, and to be honest DMC4 isn't it either.

Curious, what was your problem with DMC4?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

DmC was created to work without lock-on. That doesn't mean it would NEVER work with it. Just a choice that felt more comfortable for them to make but could still work either way.

Even with SamD's add-ons, I still played DmC on my console because I liked it as it was. The stuff SamD added was just icing on an already edible cake.

You do realize that Hard Lock-on gives you more access to moves? Mainly associated with R1 (Hold Back + Attack). Granted it's just 1 single combined input for each weapon, but I wouldn't call it unnecessary at all. Again, even Bayonetta takes advantage of the Hard Lock-On system to add extra moves.
But they found a way to bypass that. Instead of the r1 then button press while tipping the analog stick to do hightime, just press a button and there you go. Just because it's easier to do certain moves, doesn't make the quality of a game lower.

With DmC, it could have easily worked like this:

- Replace 1 of the evade buttons with Manual Lock-On
- Create a new input associated with the Lock-On Button (Back + Melee or Launcher)
- Four extra ground moves for each weapon Dante has depending if you use Melee/Launcher input on the Ground or in the air.
Or Y'know, use the buttons that allow you to play without the need of a lock on. Hightime? press a button. Stinger? Forward the analog and press a button. There'd be no need for a lock-on just to do these attacks if one button can handle it easier.

And yeah I get that they gave us the options that players wanted since the release of the game, but it doesn't excuse people from questioning NT/Capcom's responses when people have asked "Why was x changed/removed/added?" as well as those who defended these choices to begin with. Although it's still good that they have added these features.

Cause it's just a layout choice. If that's how they want to set up the layout, who really cares?

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's totally possible to be an active member of fora while still maintaining both personal and moderating aspects, it's just about the distinction between the two. Don't fret about what you're saying until you start typing something up and use your moderating clout during your discussions - it's easy to keep in check if you just remind yourself to look out for it.

Yes, which is why I post mod and personal post on seperate posts. I can't exactly do double posts, either, since I am more so bound to the rules as other.

Curious, what was your problem with DMC4?
Well, let's stick to thread's topic and I'll post about it at the DMC4 thread.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I do hope it will have a PC release. I played the game on PC for medium settings when the original edition came out and i already have a high-end PC now, it will be totally a new experience for me. Plus, there is many content in this definitive edition that i like so if this will have a PC release, it's a day one buy for me.

And just like that, this announcement along with DMC4 SE made many Devil may cry fans awaken their passion for this franchise again. I'm glad.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
And just like that, this announcement along with DMC4 SE made many Devil may cry fans awaken their passion for their franchise again. I'm glad.

It reminds me of this "reawakening" phenomenon I always saw when I worked at GameStop; whenever a new game in a franchise was announced, we saw an uptick in interest for the previous entries, and even the other employees would start replaying them. The funniest was when Diablo III was announced oh so long before the game actually released and everyone was playing the second game again.

It's such a funny thing to see, or even be a part of. Personally I love it, sometimes you end up experiencing things you didn't before :p

ChaserTech

Alright since these replies are getting ridiculous in size, I'll use a spoiler.

For @TWOxACROSS
So? They wanted to keep the implication of the kind of gameplay, that whole "DMC DNA" thing, but wanted to try a different direction. They have every right to do something like that with their own franchise if they want, without having to create a brand spankin' new one just for the purpose, especially if the purpose is to use that specific DNA. Whether it's Devil May Cry or Jackrabbit Slim's Ultimate Blood Mambo, no one has the right to just bitch and demand things be changed from their original intention. There isn't just one way to go about it.

Again, people are going to complain if it's not what they are used to. Happens with any series.

From what I remember of my time with Bayo, using lock-on inputs was an alternative to skills you still had access to, like the Stinger move being done with either forward+forward+attack or lock+forward+attack. I don't remember there being "lock function only" ones, though >.>

The simplification of controls thing is about not requiring lock on for the use of abilities. It is literally a function that forces the use of a camera feature for abilities, which when you think about it is sorta silly. Sure it all directs things and whatnot, but they wanted things to not have to be that stringent, to be more a bit more free. However, this isn't to say that the inclusion of a lock-on isn't helpful in situations - but the thing is that they didn't acquiesce and recreate the classic Hard Lock with all it entails with abilities used with it, they added in a helpful focusing feature, which also offers an enemy health meter for good measure.

It's not a matter of whether it would have worked originally (even I have said that it could have had exactly what they are implementing now), it's them not wanting to have been forced to change their aim because of complaints.

Bayonetta 1 and 2 had a dedicated input for it's launchers, since Punches and Kicks were dedicated to Y and B while the gun button was dedicated to X and Jump was A. (using Xbox 360 Controller Layout as reference) Yes it's a launcher, but it does not mean you cannot add more attacks via Lock-On, while also having a Launcher input (which is what I stated in my post). Bayonetta's Lock-On also shifted the camera around, which is the point of a Lock-On. To focus on the enemy that you are attacking.

Hard Lock-On adds more moves so I don't see the point of action games not utilizing it. And with Bayonetta, Hard Lock-On wasn't primarily used unless you were doing launchers. Which shouldn't be a problem anyway if you're already close an enemy. And I do know that NT/Capcom decided it would be best that DmC was designed to be played without one, which is why I don't understand this when more moves could be added.

He did a lot showing off all the little things he was doing with the game, but he still did quite a bit with the vanilla version. Either way it's an aside to my point that there's plenty of videos out there of people twisting DmC around their fingers the way the likes of you do with the classics. The spectacle is still there in spades.

I'm not talking about what you can do with the game, I'm talking about what people wanted originally in DmC before the Definitive Edition was released.
Comparing what one can to in DmC and DMC4 is a different story.

For @DragonMaster2010
DmC was created to work without lock-on. That doesn't mean it would NEVER work with it. Just a choice that felt more comfortable for them to make but could still work either way.

Even with SamD's add-ons, I still played DmC on my console because I liked it as it was. The stuff SamD added was just icing on an already edible cake.

You're right on that. But my point still stands that others originally wanted this feature, and others, to begin with.

But they found a way to bypass that. Instead of the r1 then button press while tipping the analog stick to do hightime, just press a button and there you go. Just because it's easier to do certain moves, doesn't make the quality of a game lower.

Or Y'know, use the buttons that allow you to play without the need of a lock on. Hightime? press a button. Stinger? Forward the analog and press a button. There'd be no need for a lock-on just to do these attacks if one button can handle it easier.

I'm talking about utilizing Lock-On so you have more moves, not using them for a Launch/Stinger input. It could work just like Bayonetta's system with having dedicated inputs that is only possible with using the Hard Lock-on system.

Cause it's just a layout choice. If that's how they want to set up the layout, who really cares?

I'm not just talking about the Hard Lock-On system and it's layout. I'm talking about multiple features that people complained about that didn't existed in DmC to begin with.

DragonMaster2010

For @DragonMaster2010
You're right on that. But my point still stands that others originally wanted this feature, and others, to begin with.

Well that's them. I'm just saying I played just fine without.

I'm talking about utilizing Lock-On so you have more moves, not using them for a Launch/Stinger input. It could work just like Bayonetta's system with having dedicated inputs that is only possible with using the Hard Lock-on system.

You don't necessarily need a lock-on to do more moves. You just need a more intricate button layout. And you can do all that without a lock-on.

I'm not just talking about the Hard Lock-On system and it's layout. I'm talking about multiple features that people complained about that didn't existed in DmC to begin with.
Those complaints mostly came from past DMC players who wanted another DMC game. Like I said, it's just a layout choice of a reboot. And if the game is playable and a good number of people like it as is, then hey, that's all good. But I do see where you're coming from and hey, now we got the definitive version that DOES have those features.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Guys....I'm tellin' yah, that DMC1 skin...fwoooo~

tumblr_ngn52h54CN1qlvbp1o2_r3_400.gif

Just think of the little bit of nostalgia: wearing that costume, fighting the demons in the church at the end of Mission 4. Like dis...

tumblr_ngn52h54CN1qlvbp1o6_r1_400.gif

Or in Paradise's foyer, which is laid out like the castle on in DMC1...

tumblr_ngn52h54CN1qlvbp1o5_r1_400.gif

Caaaaaaan't wait. Although I'll admit that I'll miss the hood, but hey, we've had that since the vanilla version.

Last edited:

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!

Just think of the little bit of nostalgia: wearing that costume, fighting the demons in the church at the end of Mission 4. Like dis...

Caaaaaaan't wait. Although I'll admit that I'll miss the hood, but hey, we've had that since the vanilla version.
Hmmm, do want! I'm looking forward to some air juggling! Muhahahah!!!!!!!!!

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Against my better judgment, I decided to go see what the people on Gamespot and IGN are saying about the remakes, and WOW, the reception seems overwhelmingly negative. I can't fathom why, considering it seems less like "lol dur dur give us ur maaaaaniiiiieees becuz we made it gud" and more like "Okay, the game had some issues and you all let us know that, so here you go. We fixed it for you and lowered the price, AND added in some awesome new stuff for ya!"

Like, I saw a comment chain that was almost 200 replies long because someone had the balls (bless their heart) to say they're buying both. Cue flame war. Jesus, it's just like back when DmC came out and we weren't allowed to like both again!

Captain Xin

Against my better judgment, I decided to go see what the people on Gamespot and IGN are saying about the remakes, and WOW, the reception seems overwhelmingly negative. I can't fathom why, considering it seems less like "lol dur dur give us ur maaaaaniiiiieees becuz we made it gud" and more like "Okay, the game had some issues and you all let us know that, so here you go. We fixed it for you and lowered the price, AND added in some awesome new stuff for ya!"

Like, I saw a comment chain that was almost 200 replies long because someone had the balls (bless their heart) to say they're buying both. Cue flame war. Jesus, it's just like back when DmC came out and we weren't allowed to like both again!

Same goes with YouTube, aside from some somewhat peaceful comments over here, the comment sections just exploded into a flood of negativity and unfunny Internet Memes.:facepalm:

It's not even funny anymore, it's just sad. Seeing a full grown adult's internet quotes devolves into a bunch of raging homicidal monkeys because of a video game...

Welp, lesson learned, Stay Away from these websites, they're quite toxic to your brain.

Last edited:

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
It reminds me of this "reawakening" phenomenon I always saw when I worked at GameStop; whenever a new game in a franchise was announced, we saw an uptick in interest for the previous entries, and even the other employees would start replaying them. The funniest was when Diablo III was announced oh so long before the game actually released and everyone was playing the second game again.

It's such a funny thing to see, or even be a part of. Personally I love it, sometimes you end up experiencing things you didn't before :p

I. Love. That.

And it exceeds beyond the games, really. When Alien: Isolation came out, suddenly the shelves were filled with not only that game, but the movies as well. And when I watched the Uncharted 4 trailer, I suddenly got an urge to play the first game again. That's why I want to open up my own video game store. The second a video game is announced - say, Devil May Cry - I'll be the first person who fills their shelves with all Devil May Cry games and pokes you about it.

Maybe that is what Capcom is trying to do right now. I've noticed that the interest in the Devil May Cry games was descending again - albeit it a bit - so they're just trying to poke the fandom. Poke me all you want, Capcom.

Oh my. When the two games (which someone wrote as Devil May Cries LMAO) come out I might go and buy DMC4SE as well, because I love those types of games. But I'm gonna be careful about where I talk about it. I remember I posted something on my blog wondering why the same music was repeated over and over again. Apparently, that was me hating on DMC4. Anyway, guess those folks are everywhere.'

PS - I noticed my gifs in this post. I am honored. :3

Dark Drakan

Admin
Against my better judgment, I decided to go see what the people on Gamespot and IGN are saying about the remakes, and WOW, the reception seems overwhelmingly negative.

Same goes with YouTube, aside from some somewhat peaceful comments over here, the comment sections just exploded into a flood of negativity and unfunny Internet Memes.:facepalm:

It's not even funny anymore, it's just sad. Seeing a full grown adult's internet quotes devolves into a bunch of raging homicidal monkeys because of a video game...

Welp, lesson learned, Stay Away from these websites, they're quite toxic to your brain.

Doesnt matter how good something looks or how well it ends up being received, the comments sections on all of those sites is ALWAYS overwhelmingly negative and flame war like so wouldnt worry too much about it.

DragonMaster2010

Another thing to realize is what if they give you the option to use Classic Vergil skin for new Vergil while in Dante's campaign. And then switch to DMC3 Dante's skin for new Dante, and then...TOTAL NOSTALGIA.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You know, DmC Definitive Edition could have been just a port of the same exact game with the DLC for the PS4 and Xbox. Instead, it's something that they went back to and put some serious work in to. Giving people the options to do all the things people wanted to do, retuning the mechanics and overall gameplay, a bunch of new content, etc. etc.

Also, it's only going to be priced at about $40 at launch.

THAT'S how you do a port. They're actually giving a compelling argument to invest in another copy of the game which I wouldn't be getting if it was just the same thing. It's my biggest issue with the gaming industry and their idea of ports and HD remakes. Just a little polish and trying to sell people on the same stuff as if its worth it.

If the DMC 4 Special Edition seriously doesn't put forth an effort to actually improve on the game like the Definitive DmC is doing, then that will be just sad. And vanilla DmC is still a well made game in its own right that was still a fun Devil May Cry. This is just really getting better where it counts.

Top Bottom