• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
kinda reminds me of Arkham's face from DMC3 (how does one animate a texture like that its truly impressive although with Arkham's case its on a character model and not an invisible plane with a texture on it).

You know, I've always wondered how they did that at that time. That effect is really cool.

scionicspectre

Wow, a lot has happened in this thread, but I'd just like to say that part of me is happy that Ninja Theory has moved on from DmC. With DmC, they became a studio I could really appreciate, and with Hellblade they won't have to deal with the backlash and fear of doing justice to an existing franchise.

In a way, despite it being a fairly different game, Hellblade is the future benefit that DmC guaranteed us. Even if we don't get a sequel, I know we'll get plenty of awesome things because of the experience and freedom NT now possesses.

You know, I've always wondered how they did that at that time. That effect is really cool.

You copy the existing mesh (his head), push the polygons away from the surface slightly so they appear to be just above the skin, then apply a separate texture with an alpha channel on top of it. The texture is subsequently animated. You could even do this on the N64, although of course semitransparency was avoided back then.

So the answer is that there is an additional mesh on top that is animated along with his facial morphing. It was certainly a risky approach to the character design at the time, which I appreciate a lot from a technical perspective. Even still, it was near the end of the PS2's life cycle, which explains why they were able to polish the graphics to the extent that they did. I think Final Fantasy XII was one of the only better looking PS2 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

scionicspectre

Although it is a bit off-topic, I totally agree. The visual transition between SC III and IV is surprisingly smooth. If I'm being honest, I think the third game is seriously underrated.

Part of me is sad that we've moved all the way on to physically-based rendering already, since I've done a lot of work optimizing models and textures to look better than the hardware allows, and now the art of optimization pays much smaller dividends than it did back in the day. I'm pretty sure that we could still make even better looking games for the PS2 with the tools we have now (baking textures being a primary advantage). Then again, mobile platforms like the 3DS and Vita are still fairly underpowered, so I guess those skills will continue to pay off for a while. The guys who made good-looking N64 games, though- those guys were geniuses considering the limitations they had to work with.

I guess this does relate to what we can do with the current generation consoles, ie. whatever a future Devil May Cry and Hellblade will look like. The Hellblade trailer was rendered realtime in Unreal Engine 4, so I think it's fair to say we can expect physically-based rendering to be the default lighting model for AAA games from now on.

Judge

Wow, a lot has happened in this thread, but I'd just like to say that part of me is happy that Ninja Theory has moved on from DmC. With DmC, they became a studio I could really appreciate, and with Hellblade they won't have to deal with the backlash and fear of doing justice to an existing franchise.

In a way, despite it being a fairly different game, Hellblade is the future benefit that DmC guaranteed us. Even if we don't get a sequel, I know we'll get plenty of awesome things because of the experience and freedom NT now possesses.

With Hellblade Ninja Theory isn't bound to the story of the DMC games. They can be as creative as they want with the story, which is something they didn't have as much control over with DmC.

I woulnd't count DmC 2 completely anyway. What if DMC5 comes out and its not that good? Capcom were struggling with the series before DMC4, with DMC3 been good, yet having problems with balance.

Theres no guarantee that even if DMC5 comes out Capcom will continue it. Look at how Resident Evil has turned out with successive releases. The franchise has been struggling more and more with every release. The same thing could happen with DMC5 or even 6. Theres no guarantee Capcom won't revist DmC if the oppertunity is there.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
I'm sad for the genre (not just the Devil May Cry franchise) because it just doesn't sell as well as others.

By the way: I uploaded the Succubus boss (GMD) on YouTube. I know I'm not at my best game but would you be a good sport and give me some love in the likes anyway? :)

I'm just not a big fan of big enemies who don't move around much and call 'flailing their arms around while screaming' attacking. Looking at you, Mundus. At least Bob Barbas amused me.

"We'll do it live!"

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I'm just not a big fan of big enemies who don't move around much and call 'flailing their arms around while screaming' attacking. Looking at you, Mundus. At least Bob Barbas amused me.
The only thing I hated more than the Mundus Boss itself was the atrocious music playing during that fight. I mean, what in sweet unbridled hell WAS that? I know Noisia likes their wubs, but at least the rest of the non-Combichrist tracks sounded like actual music.

That track just sounded like someone taking a dump into the dubstep synthesizer, and then cranking up the volume to agonizing levels. It didn't even sound remotely like music....it was just---noise.

Dante94513

I'm sad for the genre (not just the Devil May Cry franchise) because it just doesn't sell as well as others.

By the way: I uploaded the Succubus boss (GMD) on YouTube. I know I'm not at my best game but would you be a good sport and give me some love in the likes anyway? :)

"We'll do it live!"

I liked it, but it's not what I consider my way of fighting Succubus. This is kind of how I play.

NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME. Just that I'm more of the go all out kind of player. I think that's why I found the original version more difficult than what a lot of people say. Sadly, there is nothing IMO that I can do to make the Mundus boss fight...not easy.

scionicspectre

If it weren't for the Vergil fight, the game would have left an underwhelming aftertaste, for sure. It's just so hard to make a giant boss that isn't cheap, but also challenging. In a way, having a humanoid, reasonably sized boss with a wider moveset is the easy way out. Anything short of climbing on the enemy itself (which would be seen as copying Shadow of the Colossus, no doubt) makes giant bosses a difficult prospect.

I do have a few ideas for how you could improve those kinds of battles and make them more engaging, though. I think the Succubus fight was a good step in the right direction compared to something like Mundus. I think the real issue is that the bosses are too predictable and don't have enough variety in ways to an attack and be attacked.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The only thing I hated more than the Mundus Boss itself was the atrocious music playing during that fight. I mean, what in sweet unbridled hell WAS that? I know Noisia likes their wubs, but at least the rest of the non-Combichrist tracks sounded like actual music.

That track just sounded like someone taking a dump into the dubstep synthesizer, and then cranking up the volume to agonizing levels. It didn't even sound remotely like music....it was just---noise.
I think Combischrist should have done the whole thing. They at least have some badass tracks. Stuff like "No Redemption" is a great battle theme with its hard rock riffs, and stuff like "Throat Full of Glass" was a great opener. Had a Nine Inch Nails vibe going on there.

Now I'm thinking DmC's score composed by Trent Reznor.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I think Combischrist should have done the whole thing. They at least have some badass tracks. Stuff like "No Redemption" is a great battle theme with its hard rock riffs, and stuff like "Throat Full of Glass" was a great opener. Had a Nine Inch Nails vibe going on there.
Now, now...I hope I wasn't entirely misleading when I voiced my contempt.

I don't hate Noisia's contributions to the soundtrack at all. In fact, some of my favorite tracks in the game are more quiet, somber, melancholy themes like "Kat's Theme", "Secret World" and "Remember Us", as well as more ominous themes like "Distrust", and the ever-chilling "The Trade."

Which is ironic, because all of their trademark, loud, wubby music like the "Poison" and "Mundus" Boss Themes were just...blegh.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

I don't hate Noisia's contributions to the soundtrack at all. In fact, some of my favorite tracks in the game are more quiet, somber, melancholy themes like "Kat's Theme", "Secret World" and "Remember Us", as well as more ominous themes like "Distrust", and the ever-chilling "The Trade."

Which is ironic, because all of their trademark, loud, wubby music like the "Poison" and "Mundus" Boss Themes were just...blegh.
They did Kat's theme? I did like that one a lot. I don't hate everything they did either, but I still think maybe Combichrist should have done more.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

I sort of liked Poison's battle theme quite a bit.

I actually do like Noisia especially when they work with other artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxKO6O6UY8

I think they should've collaborated with Combichrist to produce some tracks rather than just keep them separate.

In fact my favorite track in this game is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJWbB9V7dWU
Plus its not like Combichrist was perfect either in DmC's music. All of their best songs in this game were old songs before DmC that they just reused or remixed and the rest of them were okay at best with the except of End of the Line or whatever its called. I certain didn't like the Spawn and Vergil boss theme for it felt repetitive and bland to me.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Is that actually a glitch and not just a loop? If it is a glitch does it really last that long or is the person just editing it to make it last longer?

Also what is the name of that song?
That is the Benny Hill theme song. It was an old slapstick TV show from England that some credit at been the original slapstick.

Top Bottom