• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

scionicspectre

You must have only played half of DMC4 then. It's quite obvious that half the game is recycled from the missions to the boss fights for Dante's side. Drag DmC all you want, but they didn't try that even with Vergil's mode when they very well could have.

Credit where credit is due- DmC has an insane amount of variety in its dynamic environments, rivaled by few games in any genre. It's certainly one of the game's strengths. Devil May Cry 4 doesn't do quite as well as DmC in this regard, but depending on your tastes, it's not far off. In fact, it could be argued that DMC 4 has more variety than DMC 3 at least so far as environments are concerned.

I do agree that we could have had something better than the boss recycling, though. I think it's interesting that the bosses were designed to be challenging for both characters, however, and that's something to be applauded. To me, this is an easy problem to solve- give Dante just one more unique boss and replace the boss rush in Mission 19 (although, admittedly, I enjoyed the Megaman-style rematch the first time through, same as DMC 3). Essentially, I think that if Dante had his own Credo-esque boss, people would have complained about this far less, which convinces me that it's not as big of a dealbreaker as it's made out to be. Now, that's just my opinion.

So boring isn't really a word I'd put to it. Recycled? Yeah, but in a fairly intelligent way. It could have been better, but it wasn't a mess, not to me anyway. I think DMC 4 and Vergil's Downfall have one thing in common- rather than inserting half-baked bosses, they decided to stick with what works and trim out the fat. If I were to change or add anything in DMC 4, it wouldn't amount to more than a 20% difference from vanilla.

In DmC, though, I think the only major thing I would change is the Mundus battle, so that's a win.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Given what we see of people fighting Credo with Dante in YouTube videos all the time, it certainly shows that it would have been really awesome. I would be really interested in if they just fleshed out Dante's side more, a la Lucia, and allowed us to fight Nero as Dante. It'd be really interesting to see an AI Nero.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
So back on-topic -- how many copies would you buy? XD

You can count on me buying it several times. I'm planning another Tumblr giveaway so I'll be buying Xbox One and PS4 versions, but obviously also for myself (even though I don't own an Xbox One). And who knows how many times I'll buy it after that? I send gifts out to friends a lot so I may or may not slip in a lil' DmC: DE. :)

Judge

I suspect that the opinion of the critics will remain mostly the same, and slightly better here and there. ;)

I totally expect (and need) this game to play how I feel after I shave my legs and put on silk pants.

I thought looking at Tomb Raider 2013 and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition would give us an idea of what to expect. Tomb Raiders' review scores remained the same from 2013 to the definitive edition. I expect DmC should go up a bit because DmC DE brings a lot to the table, where as Tomb Raider DE was essentally the same game at higher res and framerate.

DMC3 SE scored a few points above DMC3. So a similar rise for DmC could push DmC into the 90s. Which would be a great achievement. It can be done but I've been skeptical, since The Order 1886 got such average reviews, I was concerned DmC would recieve the same treatment. Not long until we find out. Fingers crossed.

Don't worry, from what I've heard from fans of the PC edition, DmC was sikly smooth on PC. I had the PS3 edition, and even that was smooth, so if the PC gamers are saying the PC was noticabilly better then we're in for a treat. That might even boost those review scores.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
It can be done but I've been skeptical, since The Order 1886 got such average reviews, I was concerned DmC would recieve the same treatment.

I expect it to go up but I wouldn't expect something drastic. Maybe even just one or two points.

But you can't really compare a game like The Order with DmC in my opinion, since in The Order's case you're talking about a QTE infested walking-and-looking-at-things simulator riddled with unskippable cutscenes and awful boss 'fights'. The only thing it has going for itself is the voice acting and graphics. But those two things don't make a game. (That is just my opinion, if anyone here thinks The Order is great, that's cool. But I digress.)

sssensational

Supporter 2014
I'm genuinely wondering how many people will actually play Gods Must Die when there's no achievement for it. Also, I'd love another gameplay video. :)

scionicspectre

I'm going to play it for the same reason I played Dante Must Die in Devil May Cry 3- because it's just sitting there telling me I can't do it. So I must. Difficulty modes were the original trophy/achievement. I don't need a game to tell me I whooped its ass.

That said, the original DMC series was pretty good about giving you a nice picture and phrase to congratulate you for it, so it's basically the same. That's one thing I miss about them compared to DmC.

Judge

I'm genuinely wondering how many people will actually play Gods Must Die when there's no achievement for it. Also, I'd love another gameplay video. :)

I doubt many people will play God Must Die even if there was an achievement. Its very difficult, only a small fraction of players are capable and willing to put the time into that level of achievement.

That being said, God Must Die will provide a great exhibition experience. I think thats what its there for. Now anyone can upload videos and the tiny fraction of players who can master Gods Must Die will provide excellent exhibition for fans. Which I think is the main reason for that mode.

I'm not sure if we'll get any in game rewards for finishing it though.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Given what we see of people fighting Credo with Dante in YouTube videos all the time, it certainly shows that it would have been really awesome. I would be really interested in if they just fleshed out Dante's side more, a la Lucia, and allowed us to fight Nero as Dante. It'd be really interesting to see an AI Nero.

They already did that, sorry couldn't resist....

I really hope the definiteve edition gets a pc release, so I can pick it up after upgrading my pc sometime in the future!

sssensational

Supporter 2014
I don't need a game to tell me I whooped its ass.

I suppose I'm different in that aspect. I'm the kinda gamer that goes "if there's no achievement, why bother?". Or anything, really. I recently finished a game which showed me a five minute long thank you video from the dev, which was cheesy, but still nice. I'm not saying I want Ninja Theory to thank me lol, but I want /some/ reward for my efforts besides the er, personal satisfaction in one's own capabilities.

I agree with Gregaman on the topic 'difficulty' then. My sweet spot is definitely Son of Sparda too.

scionicspectre

I suppose I'm different in that aspect. I'm the kinda gamer that goes "if there's no achievement, why bother?". Or anything, really. I recently finished a game which showed me a five minute long thank you video from the dev, which was cheesy, but still nice. I'm not saying I want Ninja Theory to thank me lol, but I want /some/ reward for my efforts besides the er, personal satisfaction in one's own capabilities.

I agree with Gregaman on the topic 'difficulty' then. My sweet spot is definitely Son of Sparda too.

Yeh, I'm of two minds about it. I kind of feel like a trophy/achievement system is a very cheap way of adding replayability to a game without much work on behalf of the developer. On the other hand, though, it's hard to describe the feeling you get from getting platinum trophies for the games you love.

I mean, Lords of Shadow, for instance, had some amazing challenges for each stage that really pumped up the replayability through the roof, and once you did them all for a chapter you got a trophy. So getting a platinum there was totally fair and worth it. Also, you can share your progress with other people or compare with your friends, which is fun.

On the other hand, Devil May Cry 3 was great because you got a neat costume for doing well, and I'd say I value a good costume over a pat on the back. I guess, in the end, I think we should have a healthy dose of both. inFamous: Second Son did pretty good in this regard for me since the requirements for trophies were well-crafted and you got a few neat things while accomplishing them- not just personal satisfaction.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
Yeh, I'm of two minds about it. I kind of feel like a trophy/achievement system is a very cheap way of adding replayability to a game without much work on behalf of the developer. On the other hand, though, it's hard to describe the feeling you get from getting platinum trophies for the games you love.

I mean, Lords of Shadow, for instance, had some amazing challenges for each stage that really pumped up the replayability through the roof, and once you did them all for a chapter you got a trophy. So getting a platinum there was totally fair and worth it. Also, you can share your progress with other people or compare with your friends, which is fun.

On the other hand, Devil May Cry 3 was great because you got a neat costume for doing well, and I'd say I value a good costume over a pat on the back. I guess, in the end, I think we should have a healthy dose of both. inFamous: Second Son did pretty good in this regard for me since the requirements for trophies were well-crafted and you got a few neat things while accomplishing them- not just personal satisfaction.

Is Lords of Shadow any good? It's on sale right now and I'm been thinking about getting it. But the cover of an angry man staring into my soul is kind of putting me off. I mean, Dante's also angry looking on the cover of DmC, but at least his face doesn't cover the entire front of the game. xD

DmC did give you the 'son of Sparda' outfit after completing Son of Sparda difficulty, it would've been nice to see something similar for Gods Must Die. But yeah, you're right, I'm very satisfied about myself, knowing that I have 100% on DmC across all platforms. It makes up for the fact that I'm not nearly as good as those combo experts on YouTube.

Judge

Is Lords of Shadow any good? It's on sale right now and I'm been thinking about getting it. But the cover of an angry man staring into my soul is kind of putting me off. I mean, Dante's also angry looking on the cover of DmC, but at least his face doesn't cover the entire front of the game. xD

DmC did give you the 'son of Sparda' outfit after completing Son of Sparda difficulty, it would've been nice to see something similar for Gods Must Die. But yeah, you're right, I'm very satisfied about myself, knowing that I have 100% on DmC across all platforms. It makes up for the fact that I'm not nearly as good as those combo experts on YouTube.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 is an epic game. The combat isn't perfect, but the entire experience was epic. The second game is a bit dissappointing. The music is phenominal. Its some of the best mustic composed for a game, although this is not uncommon for a Castlevania game.

It would be unsual for players to finish something as difficult as Gods Must Die and not get a reward. There could be an extra costume that their keeping quiet about or artwork in the game's art database, I expect something however small to be unlocked.

scionicspectre

Haha, yeah, the day I first got on YouTube and found out I wasn't that good at DMC.

The ironic thing about Lords of Shadow is that it was kind of advertised as a classic Castlevania (which it isn't), cover art included. The game inside feels a bit different- I'd say you should check out this trailer for a decent idea of how the game is.

It definitely has a somber tone, but the storytelling is pretty amazing. I mean, listening to Patrick Stewart narrate before each chapter is enough on its own to keep me going. It could be argued that this game is even better than the sequel, but I would at the very least call it a classic of the last generation. It certainly shouldn't be missed, especially if you can get it for sale.

I was surprised how much flexibility they could get out of one melee weapon, although there are many secondary weapons and alternate ways to fight. The combat isn't necessarily as deep as DMC 4, but while DMC focuses more on variety and stylish combat, Lords of Shadow focuses more on timing and strategy. I'd say that the high points of Lords of Shadow have been just as satisfying as DMC for me, and the hardest difficulty is certainly reminiscent of what a DMC game might dish out. It's also a pretty long game, but it's full of content so it's worthy of the timestamp. My first time through took about 18 hours, but I loved every minute of it.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
Sorry, I was thinking of another game. I have a friend who's a big fan of Castlevania though, so I'll trust her on that and get the game on day.

Anyway, I won't be the first to finish Gods Must Die I'm sure. When someone finishes it, they can tell me whatever it is that they unlocked. I hope it's something!

scionicspectre

Lol, I have heard a lot of people thinking I meant Shadow of Mordor when I mention Lords of Shadow. It doesn't help that the protagonists have somewhat similar appearance, and then they get really confused when I start mentioning Belmonts and whips. XD

I'm still not sure if I'm going to get DmC for PS4. I'd rather wait for the PC release if it's going to happen. Otherwise, I think I've gotten enough out of my 90 hours with the original that I can wait it out for the new features. I was actually pretty happy with the game already, so Vergil's Bloody Palace is the thing I'm most interested in, aside from the difficulty modifiers which I will stack to the moon.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
Lol, I have heard a lot of people thinking I meant Shadow of Mordor when I mention Lords of Shadow. It doesn't help that the protagonists have somewhat similar appearance, and then they get really confused when I start mentioning Belmonts and whips. XD

I'm still not sure if I'm going to get DmC for PS4. I'd rather wait for the PC release if it's going to happen. Otherwise, I think I've gotten enough out of my 90 hours with the original that I can wait it out for the new features. I was actually pretty happy with the game already, so Vergil's Bloody Palace is the thing I'm most interested in, aside from the
difficulty modifiers which I will stack to the moon.

Not the one I meant!

I picked up Shadow of Mordor and I LOVED it. But now that I 100%-ed it, I see little to no reason to go back to the game. Maybe for the DLC, one day. I meant Lords of the Fallen, whoops.

I hope it comes to PC too. I've seen some rumors floating around on the internet of DMC4 special edition coming to PC, so if that's a thing, I'm kind of counting on DE as well.

Top Bottom