• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC and its roots.

pimbanagordixinha2

coming from C.U.we were having a discussion about how much DMC could be considered western and eastern in its creation.
we know that Kamiya used western templates to create Dante and his universe,but the discussion was around how much and in wich way.
some posters( and one especifically)went saying the DMC was simply a western game with a eastern gameplay only.and that the DMC universe was basicly 85%western15%eastern overall.thus making the new DmC a logical step to make the series evolve.
in my opnion DMC is more of a perfect amalgamation of both styles/cultures.
i would like to know from the people here in devil may cry.org.what you think about this issue.
how,in your mind,DMC exists?how much are the influences of both cultures?and how DmC can contribute to make the franchise and the mythology better?

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Never once does the thought of Eastern and/or Western elements, tones, or ideas enter my head when I play DMC. The point of DMC is to beat the hell out of demons (no pun met) and that's exactly what I do. :cool:

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
i hope not ...i just want a sincere POV from the devil may cry fan base in general.i have no flamethrower and im not using a flamer suit.its honest.common people.
Yeah, I know your not trying to start a war, but they show up most of the time anyway...

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
However I will make of note of this: The DMC3 Manga implies that the birth of Dante and Vergil by Eva is akin to the birth of Jesus from Mary. Also DMC4 contains a lot Christian elements. Christianity began in a Eastern area of the world and thus concerning these matters DMC could be said to have a Eastern ideology. Although that in itself could be a far fetched theory.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
My impression of DMC 1 is that it looks like a western art style.
I don't see how if DMC had alot of western influence makes DmC good for serie though. Please elaborate on that if you can.

DmC can't make DMC's story better because DmC has it's own story and it's own character.

pimbanagordixinha2

However I will make of note of this: The DMC3 Manga implies that the birth of Dante and Vergil by Eva is akin to the birth of Jesus from Mary. Also DMC4 contains a lot Christian elements. Christianity began in a Eastern area of the world and thus concerning these matters DMC could be said to have a Eastern ideology. Although that in itself could be a far fetched theory.
agreed,but the main template for DMC was not a the divine comedy?if i record well,in the manga, there was a full intent to display that the DMC world to had 2 sides DARK/LIGHT,and from there the conflict started.i can see the correlation with christianity and thus the kind of line of thought some people would come with it.i just cant see how someone can think that its 85%western related when it have so many other eastern signatures templates into there too.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
agreed,but the main template for DMC was not a the divine comedy?if i record well,in the manga, there was a full intent to display that the DMC world to had 2 sides DARK/LIGHT,and from there the conflict started.i can see the correlation with christianity and thus the kind of line of thought some people would come with it.i just cant see how someone can think that its 85%western related when it have so many other eastern signatures templates into there too.
What eastern influences are you thinking of?

pimbanagordixinha2

My impression of DMC 1 is that it looks like a western art style.
I don't see how if DMC had alot of western influence makes DmC good for serie though. Please elaborate on that if you can.

DmC can't make DMC's story better because DmC has it's own story and it's own character.
in the discution on CU the reasoning behind DmC being so much important was that,in the opnion of some,the aspects of the christain/judeo religion was never displayed clearly in the previous games.and that was a basic flaw in the writing.that the DMC universe is basicly a C/J related universe and because of it,DmC is taking the right way.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
in the discution on CU the reasoning behind DmC being so much important was that,in the opnion of some,the aspects of the christain/judeo religion was never displayed clearly in the previous games.and that was a basic flaw in the writing.that the DMC universe is basicly a C/J related universe and because of it,DmC is taking the right way.
But wouldn't that become like Dante's Inferno type of story?

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
It could be argued that Western's views on demons, and demon related things are based on ideas and themes brought over from the East. All in all DMC is a mixture of elements. But more Western's think Christian or Christian related when they see demons so that perhaps that is why people say DMC took Christian themes and ideas.

pimbanagordixinha2

What eastern influences are you thinking of?
just to quote some Dante it self have a relation with the japanese creed that "yokai"related people have white hair,his choice of collor is the traditional color of the hero in the japanese culture,you have hinduist elementals,and islamic named weapons,spiders are usually related with demonic entities in eastern cultures.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
yep .thats what i think to...
thats why i came here to see other people opnions on the issue.
Well DMC has many bible stuff in it. But if i wanted to read stories that are told about in bible - i can read the bible.
If i wanted a demon vs humans i can go and watch Supernatural (not that it's bad show but just saying).

I would prefer a DMC story if it wasn't a DmC game being produced.

pimbanagordixinha2

It could be argued that Western's views on demons, and demon related things are based on ideas and themes brought over from the East. All in all DMC is a mixture of elements. But more Western's think Christian or Christian related when they see demons so that perhaps that is why people say DMC took Christian themes and ideas.
agreed!

Well DMC has many bible stuff in it. But if i wanted to read stories that are told about in bible - i can read the bible.
If i wanted a demon vs humans i can go and watch Supernatural (not that it's bad show but just saying).

I would prefer a DMC story if it wasn't a DmC game being produced.

the people who follow the "line of thought"i said earlier argues that make the story more related with the C/J would bring more depth to the story and bring DMC to its true path.

Top Bottom