• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Differences between ENG and JP (Special edition)

DavMayCry

Trophy Hunter
I own the both the North American version and the JP Physical version. What are the differences? I'll start off

-Japanese version's opening has it's own song and the North American version reuses 'The Time has Come and so have I' (the video and editing is the same but it matches the Japanese version's song more
-Japanese version has Japanese voiceover option
-Japanese version has o as the confirm button and x as back button

I remember seeing a Japanese Vergil stream on twitch that was using the DMC4 Special Edition Vergil theme as battle music but during my whole (North American) LDK Vergil playthrough I never came across it. Is that battle theme exclusive to the Japanese version?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I more or less expected this. the JP version of a JP game will always be superior to a US/UK released version.

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece
Nope. All they do in Japan for DMC's is tune down the difficulty.

As for DMC4SE, all of the Japanese changes are superficial at best:
  1. The song they used for the intro is beyond terrible. And since you can't change it to Never Surrender, it's a change for the worst.
  2. DMC's have always had English voice acting from the get-go. Suddenly adding in Japanese actors, who bring nothing to the table compared to their original English counterparts, is a completely pointless addition. Not to mention unnecessarily jarring.
  3. You get a movie comprised of all the cutscenes. Considering that the story was the worst part of DMC4......yeah. And it's LITERALLY nothing but the cutscenes spliced together and nothing else. You can get the same result by just playing all the cutscenes in the theater.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Nope. All they do in Japan for DMC's is tune down the difficulty.

As for DMC4SE, all of the Japanese changes are superficial at best:
  1. The song they used for the intro is beyond terrible. And since you can't change it to Never Surrender, it's a change for the worst.
  2. DMC's have always had English voice acting from the get-go. Suddenly adding in Japanese actors, who bring nothing to the table compared to their original English counterparts, is a completely pointless addition. Not to mention unnecessarily jarring.
  3. You get a movie comprised of all the cutscenes. Considering that the story was the worst part of DMC4......yeah. And it's LITERALLY nothing but the cutscenes spliced together and nothing else. You can get the same result by just playing all the cutscenes in the theater.

Perhaps I should rephrase that "DMC4 has more (though unecessar) stuff in the JP version."

Top Bottom