• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Did you play any Devil May Cry game prior to DmC?

Did you play any Devil May Cry game prior to DmC?

• Total voters

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
And I'd also like to remind you that I specifically asked which games in the series you enjoyed the most. Please see quote at the bottom of my post, AGAIN, thanks.
Good lord, it's like high school all over again...I only read and answer HALF the question. It's a miracle I was blessed by the Nine Divines and was allowed to graduate.

On to the question, though...the games I enjoyed the most? DmC, DMC4, and DMC1.

DMC1 was a glorious blend of Onimusha's "Resident-Evil-meets-mindless-melee-combat" approach and Symphony of the Night's lush, Gothic backdrops. It also helped that this, at least to me, had the most human incarnation of Dante from the original series.

DMC4 had the best production value of any Devil May Cry game to date, with its gorgeous graphics, splendorous Renaissance look, mindnumbingly-choreographed cutscenes, and the most developed DMC story (even if the story was kind of weak on its own merits). The gameplay was everything DMC3 was without the atrocious camera or arthritic controls, and Dante was less of a hot-blooded fraternity doucheclown, and more of a trickster character. Nero was an excellent addition in terms of character and combat, and a made for a great rival for Dante.

DmC constantly fights DMC4 for my favorite in the series on a daily basis, and is coming dangerously close with every subsequent playthrough. From dispensing with the two-dimensional characters and mediocre writing of the past games in favor of a coherent and far more engaging plot, to a sinister art style reminiscent of Dredd and Repo: The Genetic Opera, to its flamboyant and brutal combat, it was a re-imagining of Devil May Cry in almost near-perfect fashion. It was stylish and demonic like the old games, but it was a different kind of demonic and a different kind of demonic. To me, the game is like a well-executed Western remake of a cult-classic foreign film (i.e., Let the Right One In)...it's not a shot-by-shot remake, but a remake in spirit and essence.

Oh, and...Dante got more development, more humanization, and more exploration in this entry than he did throughout the course of the four original games. For a "character-action game" (as some have recently dubbed the genre), it helps that the character is more of a character, and less of a one-note caricature or power fantasy.

chubbz98

im a grown man Afraid to play dmc 1 at night
played all prior games of the series played my brothers copy of dmc1 when it came out and it scared me to death but i kept played it anyway and loved the combat and Character of dante ,now my favorite would be dmc 4 for the combat i loved being able to switch styles on the fly made combat feel much more satisfying then having only 1 like dmc3 but if they didn't add style switch then it would easily be dmc 3 as my favorite cause 4 has a few problems that stopped it from being as good as 3 in someways.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
For a "character-action game" (as some have recently dubbed the genre), it helps that the character is more of a character, and less of a one-note caricature or power fantasy.
Yeah, but people tend to favor the power fantasy over everything else.

Reactions: Jak

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Yeah, but people tend to favor the power fantasy over everything else.
Character Development? Growth? Vulnerability? Emotional Variety? Pfft...nah. Dante doesn't need that. You know what he needs? Another flashy, choreographed cutscene...just be sure to stick a slice of pizza in the moron's mouth before he actually starts talking.

The only thing worse than the character himself is the kind of weapons-grade cheesewheels he regurgitates on a regular basis. It's the pure and simplified definition of "Hell and Hell mode"...except all the time.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
DMC3 was the first I played if I'm not mistaken, and it still stands for me as not only the best Devil May Cry, but the best action game I've ever played yet. I then played the special edition, followed by DMC2 and 1 (it was reeeeally hard to find a copy of DMC1). It took me some time until I actually played DMC4, because I just had no money for a PS3 at the time, just like I'll have no money for a PS4 anytime soon.

I remember despising DmC when the first trailer came out. Not in the sense of being angry or anything, just feeling like "this isn't my dmc".
The moment I started enjoying it was when I was talking about that trailer with a friend and he said something like "You know, I think it looks really cool." That's a friend whose opinion I respect a lot, so I looked at the trailer again, and well, it did look cool.
So that has been my attitude towards everything in DmC from that moment on.
"This looks cool", "The music is actually catchy", "The combat is really fun in a different way".

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
DMC3 was the first I played if I'm not mistaken, and it still stands for me as not only the best Devil May Cry, but the best action game I've ever played yet.
DMC1 was the first DMC I played... I was... underwhelmed by it because there weren't any combo tips available back then, telling me how to best take advantage of the combat system.

So, after replaying it (to the "fullest") I can say that... I'm still underwhelmed. Just my taste in games, I guess.

DMC3 blew it, and every other action game, out of the water when it came to combat mechanics. Platforming, background design, and exploration, on the other hand...

... Which is why Darksiders 2 is my favorite action game of all time. It has everything I want, and the combat can hold its own. Not nearly as good as DMC3, but it's up there among the top action games available today.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
DMC1 was the first i ever played...kinda. i was a little kid. i died a lot because i wasn't used to the set camera angles. but it was never really a game i was a fan of. then i heard about DmC and all the crap surrounding it. so i played DMC3 which people regard the best of them all. and i rather enjoyed myself.

Top Bottom