• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DEVIL MAY CRY SERIES JOINS CASTLEVANIA IN NEW MULTIVERSE FROM ADI SHANKAR

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I'll have to see a trailer or something before I can get suitably hyped.

berto

I Saw the Devil
No... Multiverse? No, I... This doesn't sit well with me in the least. I've seen some of the things he's worked one. Dredd was amazing, so was the Gray, didn't care for The Voices, but that Power Rangers fan film was something. Still, the way they're pitching this to us, the way the it's being presented, I'm just not feeling it. I liked Castlevania well enough, and it certainly was better than anything a mainstream production would've done, but there was a lot of fat that needed trimming and some of the characters were less than ideal in their presentation. Also, I've never agreed with the idea that Apu was a problem anymore than the idea that Bumblebee Man might've been a problem so also doesn't give me much encouragement, either.

Edit: Ok. Is anyone going to tell me what's going on with the Kiss make up?

Post Edit:

And this here is a huge part of what has me less exited than most people about this. The discussion has immediately shifted to all the cross over fantasies people have with these characters and this is the stuff that belongs in the clingiest of fan fics.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So Adi Shankar doing a Devil May Cry animated series is awesome. The castlevania netflix show is so much better than the anime we did get so I'm optimistic about it.

I'm neutral or disinterested about it being in a multiverse with Castlevania. I never really thought about a crossover between the two. It's a decent pair but i rather see DMCxDarkstalkers.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
As long as he don'T write 10 minutes dialogues about horse dicks or whataver edgy crap he can come up with, like he did in Castlevania

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Wonder how that's gonna work out. Where would the series take place?

Will Nero appear with Kyrie?

DemonSlayer6

that zzzombiekid
I feel indifferent about it at this point. Honestly speaking, it's tough to imagine how on earth these two universes will even work together, but everyone seems to have faith in this chap, so... yeah. I don't have any expectations.

Also, a lot of people seem to have forgotten that we did get a DMC anime. Which at the time was pretty cool.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

the initial announcement.

@berto I think that's just his youtube personality gimmick.

@Innsmouth that might have been Warren Ellis's handywork. He's a famous comic writer who wrote the series scripts. He's part of the so called "Brit Invasion" in the late 1980s- when a group of british comic book writers came to work for Marvel/DC and redefined the comic scene. They are great writers but pretty weird :whistle:.

@DemonSlayer6
Ign had the idea of setting this Castlevania show in the past of DMC's world which I like.

The anime and the other spinoffs tend to be more obscure so most people tend not to know off them. Or they are like me and watched it but didn't like it.

To me the castlevania show was better in all regards so I'm more excited than i would be if just another dmc anime happened.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
And this here is a huge part of what has me less exited than most people about this. The discussion has immediately shifted to all the cross over fantasies people have with these characters and this is the stuff that belongs in the clingiest of fan fics.
Indeed, for me the over focus on creating a multiverse lead to the downfall of both Marvel and DC films.

I would be much happier if they just focused on adapting Devil May Cry itself into a solid season of anime, though how they'll do that and which interpretation of Dante is what still concerns me.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

I thought it was a good cosplay.:cool:

EDIT-
dmc-series.jpg

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
that might have been Warren Ellis's handywork. He's a famous comic writer who wrote the series scripts. He's part of the so called "Brit Invasion" in the late 1980s- when a group of british comic book writers came to work for Marvel/DC and redefined the comic scene. They are great writers but pretty weird :whistle:.
Hmm maybe. Though I must admit I cringed pretty badly after 5 minutes monologue about "sex with pig/goat whatever else."

berto

I Saw the Devil
Hmm maybe. Though I must admit I cringed pretty badly after 5 minutes monologue about "sex with pig/goat whatever else."
Yeah, that is one of the things that has me worried. I don't know what role this Shankar guy has but if decides to hire that same guy to write this script I might decide to tap out until I see some reviews. As it is I'm not sure he's the right man for this particular series. The tone of Castlevania, the overall story and the fight with Dracula, specifically the ending, were rather brilliant, but his sense of humor was way hit or miss (see goat molesting scene for very clear example) and the characters and a lot of the themes were really, really out of line with the Castlevania lore, like how Sypha was sent by the church to aid in the quest to kill Dracula while there she's being prosecuted by the church and they are the scum of the Earth (which seems to be the only way Americans will permit the church to written as, apparently) Velmont is a drunk, the most popular kind of hero archetype in the 80's, Isaac is black, now, I'm guessing because it'd be racist not to make him so, Hector is now the biggest pushover I've seen in god knows how many years, and the constant swearing was constantly slapping me out of the experience.

Overall the series was successful and the tone they went for fit this particular series fit but I am far more protective of DMC than I am of Castlevania. As it is I absolutely abhor the one anime fo DMC that already exists for turning Dante from an energetic man of action with a discernible personality to a lazy, boring, bland, punching bag (as in he is the but of all the jokes) so I have very little tolerance for the notion of another very contrasting anime that misses the point by a mile but that just happens to do it in a very American fashion.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

The thing I don't like about the existing anime series is how Dante is stoic like his DMC2 appearance.
I hope this new adaptation has Dante based on his more wilder appearance, like in DMC3 or DMC4.
Kinda like how he surfs on a rocket fired at him just because he can.

While it might be expected for the story to be its own interpretation, it'd be nice if it's very faithful to the game, kinda like the Star Ocean 2 or Xenosaga anime adaptations.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah, that is one of the things that has me worried. I don't know what role this Shankar guy has but if decides to hire that same guy to write this script I might decide to tap out until I see some reviews. As it is I'm not sure he's the right man for this particular series. The tone of Castlevania, the overall story and the fight with Dracula, specifically the ending, were rather brilliant, but his sense of humor was way hit or miss (see goat molesting scene for very clear example) and the characters and a lot of the themes were really, really out of line with the Castlevania lore, like how Sypha was sent by the church to aid in the quest to kill Dracula while there she's being prosecuted by the church and they are the scum of the Earth (which seems to be the only way Americans will permit the church to written as, apparently) Velmont is a drunk, the most popular kind of hero archetype in the 80's, Isaac is black, now, I'm guessing because it'd be racist not to make him so, Hector is now the biggest pushover I've seen in god knows how many years, and the constant swearing was constantly slapping me out of the experience.

Overall the series was successful and the tone they went for fit this particular series fit but I am far more protective of DMC than I am of Castlevania. As it is I absolutely abhor the one anime fo DMC that already exists for turning Dante from an energetic man of action with a discernible personality to a lazy, boring, bland, punching bag (as in he is the but of all the jokes) so I have very little tolerance for the notion of another very contrasting anime that misses the point by a mile but that just happens to do it in a very American fashion.

Well if you look at Adi Shankar's resume there is one thing for sure that is consistent.

dark-edgy-reading.jpg

Also I was at a convention where staff of Powerhouse was present and I asked them about it and they didn't know so who knows if the exact Castlevania team is making this one too. Adi technically doesn't work for Powerhouse as he merely a producer associated with Netflix. This might not even be animated. They never said it was and Adi produced more love action content than he has animated.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I really can't see a faithful adaptation of Devil May Cry working in live action lol.

It would look weird as all get out.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Lain
I figure you got a better shot doing DMC in Live Action than FF or KH.

But I think its more likely to be animation as that seems to be his interest of late.

Top Bottom