• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry: Recycling Heavenly Swords Combat Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Neither the gates of hell, the clouds of heaven, nor the hate of enraged PS3 fans, can contain the likes of Ninja Theory. The Devil in you just might cry once you've played DMC 5. Making their name with one of the best adventures on PS3, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Theory's reputation took a turn and has made DMC a game fans of the series have begun to loose trust in. After a failed attempt at winning the hearts of gamers on the 360 with their first multi-platform title, Enslaved, Ninja Theory was picked up by Capcom to develop Devil May Cry 5, or DMC.

dante_aim_front_bg1.jpg

The News set the internet a blaze, as the new more EMO design of Dante was not as well received. as you might know, the world of gaming is a winding road, and one that can make sharp unexpected turns that take you by surprise; DMC has done just that. Enslaved didn't win over the hearts of masses, or score very high amoung reviewers, but it did one thing well, combat. Prior to Enslaved, Ninja Theory was know for creating fun action adventure titles that had high production values; mostly because of their work on Heavenly Sword. Well, that reputation is returning in Devil May Cry 5, as the Ninjas have pulled from one of there best games to make DMC a hit. Dante's story has slightly changed and has him living as the son of an Demon and an Angle. However, this new detail also changes the game-play, making things more dynamic on the battlefield.

ScreenShot_15.jpg

While Ninja Theory was reluctant to confirm it, DMC's combat engine looks and feels very much like Heavenly Sword's. Even the design of the game has the deadly angle's signature on it. Though its seen mostly in the combat, the one thing that revealed the secret was the style system. A system that rewards you for not getting hit, while stringing combos together. Heavenly Sword was known for its fluid combat system, which allowed you to switch from multiple stances on the fly; creating a very dynamic flow to the combat. Range Attacks, Power Attacks, and Airel attacks were all seamlessly included into the flow of the action. If you achieved enough style, It would allow you to execute the very power SuperStyle Mode - a Cinematic Q.T.E that allows you to take out multiple foes with one stylistic move.

Capcom and Ninja Theory did confirm that the style system is back. Saying “ Do it with style - Utilizing Dante’s Angel and Demon powers to chain together groundbased and aerial combos to achieve the best style ranking.

That same system which first appeared in Heavenly Sword is returning in Devil May Cry 5. Dante has even been equipped with chains to accommodate for the engines use of Nariko's chained blades. Nearly all the features of Heavenly Swords combat mirror the combat in DMC. The Style system is the only confirmed addition, but the combat speaks for its self. Dante moves and flows through each type of attack, stringing them all together fluidly; Range, Power, or Ariel can be executed with little to no knowledge of a combo system.

Screenshot_05.jpg

If you do the moves in style, you can summon the Devil, or the Angle depending on which stances you choose (Sounds familiar?), this will execute a Q.T.E in cinematic fashion with the us of the 'Superstyle' mode. If you didn't like Dante because of Ninja Theory's design, or their work on Enslaved, your dislike will turn into love once you see what the new Dante can do.

ScreenShot_16.jpg

Though the combat has a strong Heavenly Sword undertone, its still Devil May Cry at its core. Jumping and shooting while suspend in the air, or pulling off power moves that make you want to slap-yo-mama, is still here in DMC and should please DMC loyalist. Dante has never been cooler according to what Ninja has shown so far. You can check out the latest gameplay trailer below to see Dante in action.

Source: http://www.thegameheadz.com/games/p...tabid/808/vw/1/itemid/1409/devil-may-cry.aspx

Asmodaius

Why are there so many spelling errors in these articles?! It's driving me crazy! When making such an article, you should at least be able to spell correctly. If there are spelling errors in them, it lowers the credibility of the journalist, and I doubt that's what they want.

On topic though, this sounds interesting. I did like the gameplay in NT's past games, but they were rather simplistic and not really all that innovating. I hope there are enough DMC influence in the gameplay for it to feel as a DMC game, and not a Heavenly sword or Enslaved game. Of course, take the things that would work in DMC from those other games and make them fit into the gameplay, that I have no problem with. But the gameplay should reflect the DMC series the most, in my opinion.

OriginalOutcast

It's not Just Heavenly Sword they're Recycling. Watch footage of the Dante's Inferno game and the New Gameplay Trailer back to back. It's utilizing Dante's Inferno's Holy/Unholy Gameplay mechanic...

Asmodaius

It's not Just Heavenly Sword they're Recycling. Watch footage of the Dante's Inferno game and the New Gameplay Trailer back to back. It's utilizing Dante's Inferno's Holy/Unholy Gameplay mechanic...

We know Dante will utilize his Demonic and Angelic side, but we don't know how yet. MANY games have the whole Dark/Light power theme in their gameplay mechanics, so saying NT is copying a game like Dante's Inferno is not really correct.

Nicholas Vrakepedes

We know Dante will utilize his Demonic and Angelic side, but we don't know how yet. MANY games have the whole Dark/Light power theme in their gameplay mechanics, so saying NT is copying a game like Dante's Inferno is not really correct.
Your right it's not just Dante's Inferno but Castlevania Lords of Shadow as well.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
What?
When Devil May Cry was first released it was innovative (in combat) and set a benchmark for other games (God Of War springs to mind). Now we're copying a game system that is 3/4/5 years old/ This is just going backwards and in its own way is a fail (that's the only word i can think of). Plus I hated the Heavenly Sword combat system (it was one of the first games I bought with my PS3) i thought the controls were clunky and slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom