• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 3 DMD bare bones run

Erian1Mortal

Premium
After searching the forum for quite a while, as well as asking google with no real result, I thought why not make a thread about this.

I've been into the whole livestreaming thing lately and thought about what to stream.
After figuring out what I want to play it came to my mind:
"Hey why don't you play DMC3 again? But do it on DMD and totally barebones, it's gonna be fun!"

Man was I wrong...
I've got my ass handled to me at Cerberus, just like my first time playing the game...

I've been using the cheat code to unlock everything in the HD collection (because I don't care about achievements and am a lazy ass...)

The rules I set for myself in this run where:

-Play on DMD
-Start from scratch
-No life or DT upgrades
-Only Upgrade: Air Hike and Air Raid
-No Item use
-Obtained weapons are usable but don't get upgrades besides the ones mentioned above
-Styles may be changed and leveled up
-Upgraded style abilites are allowed to be used
-Dying sets you back to Mission 1

I played without streaming just to test it out.

So my question is, does anybody know a good barebones run, where I could look at some good strategies?
And would people be interested to watch stuff like this?

MKH Spartan

I know there were some runs with similar (but not exactly the same) restrictions done agessssssssssssss back, I'm not sure who did the Dante one but I know Kail did the Vergil one. Similar except that while you start from scratch you can buy upgrades while going through, and it was a full SS run. He also used no lock on indicator, DT or DTE just to make it harder lol.

Someone else here can probably tell you who did the Dante equivalent of the run, I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Also I'd like to point out, if you don't upgrade your health bar to at least 1 1/2 bars, good luck with Mission 12.

No seriously, you will just die lol.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Also I'd like to point out, if you don't upgrade your health bar to at least 1 1/2 bars, good luck with Mission 12.

No seriously, you will just die lol.

I'll look into the Kail run, thanks for the info^^
I too remember seeing something similar with Dante a few years back, when DMC 4 was just about to get released I think-
Guess I'm going to learn dodging then, if I ever get to mission 12.
I'll practice a little bit more and then start streaming this stuff, alongside some other games.

MKH Spartan

Mission 12 if you don't upgrade your health bar, it drains too fast to complete on DMD from the damage over time effect, and if you are only using the default moves it is extremely unlikely you will be able to kill the enemies fast enough to not run out of health, the Hell Vanguard in particular.

You can try do it if you want and potentially prove me wrong, but I don't think it's possible with no health upgrades combined with no additional moves.

The Kail run is really good btw, I highly enjoy watching it, he makes me look bad at the game in comparison lol.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Mission 12 if you don't upgrade your health bar, it drains too fast to complete on DMD from the damage over time effect, and if you are only using the default moves it is extremely unlikely you will be able to kill the enemies fast enough to not run out of health, the Hell Vanguard in particular.

You can try do it if you want and potentially prove me wrong, but I don't think it's possible with no health upgrades combined with no additional moves.

The Kail run is really good btw, I highly enjoy watching it, he makes me look bad at the game in comparison lol.

Just checked, yup it's pretty much impossible, I got some missions confused. It's been a while since I've played through DMC3. Should be enough to just buy a few blue orbs, if it's totally impossible.
Just found a run by a player going by the name RoyalIzaoi from 2012, might give me some hints on Dante

Erian1Mortal

Premium
if you do the run as dante with a fully leveled up royal guard you can tank the whole game dude
That I know, but that's the point, it's bare bones, I won't have any upgraded Styles or moves, just the stuff the game gives me from the get go and what I find in game.

MKH Spartan

As always, if you have godlike execution, Royal Guard is insane pretty much. My execution isn't good enough to be as consistent at Royal Guard as I would like however, I usually run Swordmaster in DMC3, I find Real Impact with Beowulf to be just too good to give up.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Well after some testing around today I can safely say:

I have to change the rules for myself, or else it's not enjoyable to play.

The new ruleset for myself is:

-Play on DMD
-Start from scratch
-No DT upgrades
-Only Upgrade: Air Hike and Air Raid
-No Items are to be bought
-Obtained weapons are usable but don't get upgrades besides the ones mentioned above
-Styles may be changed and leveled up
-Upgraded style abilites are allowed to be used
-Found Holy waters may be used (If speed is the main point of the run)
-Dying sets you back to Mission 1

Life upgrades can be obtained through Combat statues (don't remember the name atm) or buying them in the shop.
I watched a No Upgrade run and Mission 12 is impossible without dying or going back to checkpoints, which is not allowed with this rule set, so the only thing to possibly avoid that is getting more life.

Thans to MKH Spartan for pointing that out earlier!

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
good luck with it dude. If you need help or tips pm me i have ss run dmd as dante several times i am a bit of a dmc3 addict i always use rg and jc with a mixture of weapons but i hopefully can help you.

Last edited:

TheJokingDevil

Just search DMC3 DMD no upgrade then you may find what you want, and BTW, what I remember, the first one who did the no upgrade DMD SS run is a Japanese player name Heretic, many of the tacts that we use were invented by him, and he done it just a year after the game (not SE) was out

Top Bottom