• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Debunking: Dante IS NOT immortal

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Sometimes when I go over to vs threads and see Dante vs someone else. One thing that's always prevalent (besides that cheap time-stopping hack Dante has from DMC3) is the talk that Dante's immortality will save him.

So I want to make it perfectly clear here.

DANTE (original and reboot) IS. NOT. IMMORTAL.

Dante can not liver forever. He may have the genes of a demon who lived forever, but Dante's also half human, and as we see he really does age with everyone else. Dante and even Vergil are not immortal beings, but are rather very hard to kill with common weapons. However the only thing that seems to be able to kill them truly seems to be their own weapons. (stupid, but true)

Not only that but it is worth noting that with age, Dante getting stabbed and such takes a harder toll on his body. In DMC3, Dante could easily take scythes guns, and anything (except Vergil's yamato) to the chest, but in DMC1 and the anime it took him longer to regain consciousness, and finally in DMC4 Dante's case, he was panting harshly after he got stabbed in the chest.

The same being so for new Dante. Though he can survive threatening wounds and scratches and other dangerous injuries, he does not show any form of immortality. It's obvious that even though he can survive it, he would definitely have the common sense to move out of the way of a sword hurdling towards him.

So basically, Dante is NOT immortal.

berto

I Saw the Devil
No, he is not immortal, very resilient, like any other demon, but not immortal. Vergil himself told him that, if you destroy his heart it's all over. Has anyone read the novel? Anyone?

However, can he live forever if he isn't killed in battle? Debatable. Longevity might be one of the traits he inherited from his father, nothing suggests one way or another.

However the only thing that seems to be able to kill them truly seems to be their own weapons. (stupid, but true)
Well, for DMC4 I chalk that up to bs writing where the guy looks dead and waits till the other dude turns around to show him that his not and the other dude looks all surprised.

For DMC3, though, I think it has more to do with the quality of the weapons at hand. Yes, all demons have demonic weapons, but I doubt some lackey would get a weapon that could rival those in Sparda's armament. These weapons have wills of their own, an essence, like any other devil arm. I'm assuming the weapons the grunts carry around don't have that level of pedigree.

Last edited:

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Of course he isn't. Why would anyone think he is?
Perhaps it may be due to some debaters in favor of Dante requiring a trump card, which in this case would be immortality, to stalemate the opposition favorable to Alucard (Hellsing) or other god like beings such as Jedah Dohma.

Railazel

Dante can not liver forever.

No, he is not immortal, very resilient, like any other demon, but not immortal.

There is no canon saying whether he is or is not. His human genetics doesn't make for a logical deterrent of him being immortal. Rather him being immortal is just a possibility but not a canonical fact.

Dante's also half human, and as we see he really does age with everyone else.

Not really. His facial features change so much between DMC 1, 2, 3, the anime, and 4 that it is hard to tell how he's aging if he is at all.

Take a good comparison:
dmc1-dante2.jpg

3853417-dante-devil-may-cry-11372762-908-645.jpg

DMC2-Dante2.jpg

devil_may_cry_3_se___coatless_dmc1_dante_by_elvin_jomar-d6tiv58.png

Dante-devil-may-cry-anime-16697830-853-480.jpg

As you can see, we have five different versions of the same guy. This can be explained due to change in motion actors and better graphic engines providing more detail but, in canon, there's no reason given for his change in appearance. You can't really call it aging if a guy is changing his appearance five different times in the course of one year.

very resilient, like any other demon,

Resilience isn't the word here, more like a complete disregard for the wounds he suffering (unless he does react to them for dramatic effect).

Take the intro scene in DMC 3 where he is stabbed in multiple areas around his body. Considering how human biology works, he shouldn't be able to move at all because he got stabbed through the spine and any movement afterwards would've done more harm. It would be better to call this difference in biology.

Zero

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I'm sure he could survive a stab to the heart. (If offending object was removed.)

Don't think he could survive his heart being forcibly removed though. Or decapitation. He's never shown he could actually regrow body parts, just heal mortal wounds that'd kill the average person.

But yeah, you're right he is NOT immortal, if Vergil can be killed, so can Dante.

seraphmaycry

Sometimes when I go over to vs threads and see Dante vs someone else. One thing that's always prevalent (besides that cheap time-stopping hack Dante has from DMC3) is the talk that Dante's immortality will save him.

So I want to make it perfectly clear here.

Dante can not liver forever. He may have the genes of a demon who lived forever, but Dante's also half human, and as we see he really does age with everyone else. Dante and even Vergil are not immortal beings, but are rather very hard to kill with common weapons. However the only thing that seems to be able to kill them truly seems to be their own weapons. (stupid, but true)

Not only that but it is worth noting that with age, Dante getting stabbed and such takes a harder toll on his body. In DMC3, Dante could easily take scythes guns, and anything (except Vergil's yamato) to the chest, but in DMC1 and the anime it took him longer to regain consciousness, and finally in DMC4 Dante's case, he was panting harshly after he got stabbed in the chest.

The same being so for new Dante. Though he can survive threatening wounds and scratches and other dangerous injuries, he does not show any form of immortality. It's obvious that even though he can survive it, he would definitely have the common sense to move out of the way of a sword hurdling towards him.

While what you say has truth, I'd argue Dante does handle swords better, in dmc3 he gets stabbed hy vergie and gets wrecked, dmc1 alastor hurt him, but Dante handled it better, dmc4 he recovered in a few seconds and its after a bigger sword, dmc2 hes like screw it, and in the anime thT stab was from an extremely powerful demon.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Vergil is dead. His remains are even a vital element in the knight enemies in DMC4. However, no one can say without a doubt what the consequences of Vergil's death are. (Is he forever nonexistent, or is he trapped in Hell permanently, or some convoluted plot of his soul inhabiting Yamato and/or Nero)

Top Bottom