• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's Financial Timeline

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Dante's financial life when it's brought up is usually depicted as either alright, to downright deplorable. His office seems to double as his home since he sleeps, bathes, and hangs out there most of the time. However, one can assume that devil hunting doesn't exactly make bread in the Devil May Cry universe and this creates some financial troubles for Dante's business.

(Keep in mind that each game's office was made by a different team for each game, so they all look different from one another.)

DmC
Devil-May-Cry-small-53.jpg

So Dante's place is DmC used to be a luxurious mansion that was wide acres of lush forest and monumentally rich. However, after the attack, the home has been left in shambles and rots from time and Limbo's influence. After the events and other situations, Dante is resigned to live in a trailer.
Dante-Combichrist-Poster-DmC-Devil-May-Cry-5-Illuminati-Sybolism-and-References-e1369078307594.jpg

It appears to me that New!Dante might have other ways of making money to keep his trailer with power. I could assume he works odd jobs at the carnival he's stationed in like cleaning up trash or working some of the rides. Since the carnival seems to be the type to hire anyone as long as they work, the owner probably doesn't mind Dante's strange lifestyle (or doesn't know about it) and since Dante being called a terrorist didn't start until later on in the game, he was probably considered some normal street punk who just needed a place to stay. Of course, this was all thrown away once the hunter demon came and destroyed his home. Then things went on with Limbo, his brother, and killing Mundus. Finally, after fighting Vergil, he is left with Kat to fight off the rest of the demons in the world. I could assume that Dante and Kat will try to fix up his old home and make it a living arrangement for the time being.

DMC3
maxresdefault.jpg

Dante's office here is more or less a new office that had been bought by Enzo for Dante and therefore was the one paying for it in order to keep the lights and water on. If we take the manga into consideration, Enzo was sick of having to keep up with the payments and was ready to give up on it. But Dante decided to keep it and it was probably on its last leg of electricity and utilities before the city cut it off. However, then the demon invasion and Temi-ni-gru rose up and things probably changed. After everything that happened, Dante fixed it, and it probably had some electricity going until the time prior to DMC1. Not only that, but he also seems to owe Lady money not only for her motorcycle but with other things that probably have to do with keeping the lights on in his office.

DMC1
dmc1a.jpg

By the time of Devil May Cry 1, much of Dante's life of Demon hunting has thrived at the beginning, but as time went on, Dante's financial gain hasn't seemed to get him much jobs. As we see in the beginning of DMC1, Dante comments on not getting anywhere with his gig of demon hunting like he wanted. This seems to be the start of his issues, along with owing Lady money that he probably borrows for pizza or paying for his office. of course, begins the entrance of Trish, the battle against Mundus and Trish joining Dante in Devil May Cry, or renamed "Devils Never Cry". It can be assumed that she helped pay for Dante's office by accepting some of the gigs that he doesn't want to do. Then Trish left and Dante changed the office name back to Devil May Cry, thus beginning his struggles.

DMC: anime
Dante-Trish-devil-may-cry-anime-7529365-704-396.jpg

The anime is where I feel the whole "Dante is poor" trope came from. As @berto also said; The anime depicted Dante as a "barely struggling" gun-for-hire. His office is usually dark, dingy, and not very well kept. There is a lot of expensive furniture and things in it, but I notice that it doesn't seem to have lights on. It's always dark with only a small source of light on that's probably from a battery-powered light. I'd wager that Devil Hunting doesn't pay as much as needed to keep up an office's electric bill. That or Dante doesn't take many jobs and that's one of the reasons he's in the situation he's in. Then if you add the money he seems to owe Lady, the amount of money her and Trish spend while sending him the bill, Patty now staying there as well, it's any wonder how Dante even keeps up with the office.

DMC4
3805529856_f214558399_z.jpg

By this time, it can be assumed that Dante is doing much better then he started off. We can see that by Trish seemingly returning to working with him, and Lady coming around more often to give him some jobs to work. These jobs seem to be where most of his income originates from. Because of this, Dante is now able to keep the lights on, and afford to pay what he owes Lady. It also allowed him to buy some new clothes (as ridiculous as they look) to go hunting. I'd say this is the point where Dante was doing his best.

DMC2

In DMC2, we don't really see much of his office, but we can assume that it's gone through a bit of renovations compared to the past (obviously due to different people making the office for each game) but it definitely looks the cleanest his office has ever been since probably DMC3.

DMC5
dante_s_office_by_dragonswordking2012-dcnmoj6.png

and thus us coming to DMC5 where we're further shown how Dante is doing. It can be assumed that he's slowing following to hard times do to the lights barely being on, his comment on how "the water needs turning on and those toilets need flushing," and even his choice in attire.
Dante_%28DMC%29.png

Rather then all that leather, and dressing in a more detective-style as he did in DMC1, or even the full on Devil hunter get up in DMC2, he seems to have fallen towards more conventional clothing of boots, leathery pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and a duster that could probably be found at a thrift shop. All-in-all Dante has not been doing so hot in the events of DMC2 to DMC5. This is also evident in how he quickly accepted the job Morrison gave him once 'cash up front' was on the table.

So based on all the games we've seen Dante in, his financial struggles have been present and alive depending on the time in Dante's life you wanna look at. I would say DMC4 was around the time where he was doing well, then after DMC2, things fell on hard times again.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Dante's financial life when it's brought up is usually depicted as either alright, to downright deplorable. His office seems to double as his home since he sleeps, bathes, and hangs out there most of the time.
Sounds unsanitary.

Last edited:

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Thing that always got my attention about his profits was that it seemed like Dante's services were in high demand.
As we saw in DMC3 he hadn't "even picked a name for this joint and I'm already getting calls."

Then in DMC1 he kept getting calls past his close date, encouraging him to get a password.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
It sounds like Dante just couldn't keep up with expenses.

Should've gotten Vergil to cook his books for him.

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
It's too bad Dante doesn't keep some of the key items he comes across and sell them. I'm sure there would be a museum that would love to have "The soul of steel" or something.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I never realized this. I just thought it was Capcom's way to be creative.

I never understood the whole mansion thing in DmC. I just thought "Devil May Cry" was his company, fictional company, mind you... But this thread tells me that there's more to the series than just this mindless story about how "Devil May Cry" started. Interesting thread! :)

Elijah Guerrero

I never realized this. I just thought it was Capcom's way to be creative.

I never understood the whole mansion thing in DmC. I just thought "Devil May Cry" was his company, fictional company, mind you... But this thread tells me that there's more to the series than just this mindless story about how "Devil May Cry" started. Interesting thread! :)
I get the feeling revisiting Dante's home in DmC is a one time thing and when DmC2 rolls around, it'd be gone or set up as a safe place for humans form demons, seeing as Dante probably might not want to go back to where his family was torn apart.

Classic Dante probably had his home burned down (the manga) and lives in his business place probably. That being said i do like how Nero has his own place in comparision to his uncle.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I get the feeling revisiting Dante's home in DmC is a one time thing and when DmC2 rolls around, it'd be gone or set up as a safe place for humans form demons, seeing as Dante probably might not want to go back to where his family was torn apart.
Like the X-men, eh? :p

Top Bottom