• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante is the new 'Legendary Dark Knight"

Triceranuke

So I've been thinking about this and I realized something. Sparda in the new reboot was for all extents and purposes a nobody. I mean I'm sure being Mundus' right hand man meant he was a badass but nothing like his original incarnation. Even Lilith had do take a moment to think about who Mundus was talking about when he mentioned Sparda. So other than some demons who remember him the populous at large has no idea who that is.

On the other hand they are now going to have his son protecting them and fighting their battles. They'll eventually find out it was Dante and Vergil who 'freed' them and I'm sure there will be a backlash to the destruction they caused in doing so but I'm sure that more people will rally around Dante once Vergil puts on his Big Bad boots. And they'll start seeing him in the same light people saw original Sparda.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So it's like Dante is the Legendary Red Knight. In a way that could make sense.

-Dante is with Kat, who's human
-Dante wasn't human but was able to feel human through Kat, a human.
-Dante along with Vergil, defeated Mundus.
-Now Dante lives among humans quietly protecting them.

S.F.W

King of Hearts
He has a long way to go before receiving a title like that. He has to deal with a very uncertain and possibly dangerous future him and Vergil created at the end of the game. Not to mention, bro has got get powered up. Hell, this Dante may surpass the DMC Sparda if he reaches his peak and get a better title.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
So I've been thinking about this and I realized something. Sparda in the new reboot was for all extents and purposes a nobody. I mean I'm sure being Mundus' right hand man meant he was a badass but nothing like his original incarnation. Even Lilith had do take a moment to think about who Mundus was talking about when he mentioned Sparda. So other than some demons who remember him the populous at large has no idea who that is.

On the other hand they are now going to have his son protecting them and fighting their battles. They'll eventually find out it was Dante and Vergil who 'freed' them and I'm sure there will be a backlash to the destruction they caused in doing so but I'm sure that more people will rally around Dante once Vergil puts on his Big Bad boots. And they'll start seeing him in the same light people saw original Sparda.
Cool, never thought of it that way. Considering that Sparda failed in this universe it makes a lot of sense. Sparda in the DmC universe is a failure. He rebelled by loving an angel, was caught, and punished for his "crimes". He also loss the love of his life. In the DMC universe, Sparda won. Of course people would remember and shudder from the mention of his name. And of course his enemies would spit at the mention of his name. But for DmC Sparda, he's a nobody, a loser who his enemies laugh at. No followers, no allies, no sworn enemies compared to DMC Sparda.

For me, having both universes is a great thing. Comics do it all the time. DMC and DmC are like Marvel's Mainstream and Ultimate universes. Would Dante be the same had Sparda died instead of lived? Would he have been the same without a brother? Changing those little details, makes a hell of a difference. What if Uncle Ben lived? What if Bruce Wayne never loss his parents? What if Xaiver and Magnus made peace?

Edit: No Dark Knight jokes. Okay. . .

Triceranuke

Cool, never thought of it that way. Considering that Sparda failed in this universe it makes a lot of sense. Sparda in the DmC universe is a failure. He rebelled by loving an angel, was caught, and punished for his "crimes". He also loss the love of his life. In the DMC universe, Sparda won. Of course people would remember and shudder from the mention of his name. And of course his enemies would spit at the mention of his name. But for DmC Sparda, he's a nobody, a loser who his enemies laugh at. No followers, no allies, no sworn enemies compared to DMC Sparda.

For me, having both universes is a great thing. Comics do it all the time. DMC and DmC are like Marvel's Mainstream and Ultimate universes. Would Dante be the same had Sparda died instead of lived? Would he have been the same without a brother? Changing those little details, makes a hell of a difference. What if Uncle Ben lived? What if Bruce Wayne never loss his parents? What if Xaiver and Magnus made peace?

Edit: No Dark Knight jokes. Okay. . .
I had to try so hard not to make a Batman joke. But thank you!
There's a quote I've heard from the comic book industry that said 'Batman thrives off of reinvention' and that's the mindset I brought to this title.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I had to try so hard not to make a Batman joke. But thank you!
There's a quote I've heard from the comic book industry that said 'Batman thrives off of reinvention' and that's the mindset I brought to this title.
Here's an article on it, but I don't know if it's the one you're talking about: http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/07/26/batman-rebooted-five-challenges-faced-by-the-next-filmmakers/

Never noticed that too. Best reinvention ever: Batnipples.
BatmanGeorgeClooney.jpg

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Yeah, AU Dante will slowly become a legend in this world.

And when he and OU Dante meet up, half the demons will explode from the sheer awesomeness of it, like anti spiral ships in TTGL.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Yeah, AU Dante will slowly become a legend in this world.

And when he and OU Dante meet up, half the demons will explode from the sheer awesomeness of it, like anti spiral ships in TTGL.
the-villains-of-spider-man-shattered-dimensions-201008230355418222.jpg

Let's see, we have Mainstream DMC Dante/Spider-Man. I guess Ultimate would go with DmC Dante because for me, DmC isn't exactly noir. So we need a 2099 Dante and Noir Dante. Then shall we have unprecedented badassery.

WorkenOnMaLeft

So basically going by this logic the DmC series is showing the making of a legend, no, more like a god. i like. i like a lot.

Lunar Legend

thats a really interesting point. also anyone else think that new dante and vergil are kind of broken. i mean come on dante had the power to stop time in limbo (untill he interacted with it then it broke from the frozen time) and now limbo and the human world are the same and vergil has the power to use portals,summon swords, teleport, and a independantly thinking doppleganger.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
I think there'll be too much backlash against Dante for him to reap any legendary benefits from what he did for a long time. Sparda in the classic games had thousands of years for humans to forget exactly how he evil he was as Mundus' right hand, and exactly what kind of collateral damage he caused when sealing off the demon world. By the time we hear about his legend, it's sanitized. But the devastation of Mundus's defeat, the hundreds killed during Dante and Vergil's clashes with him, all the demons now free to go around killing people without a master to direct them, and the fact that Dante and Vergil aren't human to begin with, it'll all be fresh in people's memories, and those are all the ingredients for a mighty fine international lynch mob. I think Dante's more likely to be a tragic hero, who does the right thing despite nobody really wanting him to, because people prefer ignorance and structure, to knowledge and chaos.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So it's like Dante is the Legendary Red Knight. In a way that could make sense.

-Dante is with Kat, who's human
-Dante wasn't human but was able to feel human through Kat, a human.
-Dante along with Vergil, defeated Mundus.
-Now Dante lives among humans quietly protecting them.
Dante's development can definitely draw to resemble Sparda and instead of Dante living in Sparda's shadow like he seems to be in the original series we now a a more Dante centric storyline. I like this and who knows maybe a more DmC games can establish an origin story as a whole.

Although looking at previous games it wasn't Eva who made Sparda feel the way he did towards humans. He just had his own moral values and as the game put it, "woke up to justice." He defeated Mundus and his legion long before he even met Eva and had kids. Yep, it took him about a 1000 years to find a date.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Dante's development can definitely draw to resemble Sparda and instead of Dante living in Sparda's shadow like he seems to be in the original series we now a a more Dante centric storyline. I like this and who knows maybe a more DmC games can establish an origin story as a whole.

Although looking at previous games it wasn't Eva who made Sparda feel the way he did towards humans. He just had his own moral values and as the game put it, "woke up to justice." He defeated Mundus and his legion long before he even met Eva and had kids. Yep, it took him about a 1000 years to find a date.

Probably not that long, since DMC3 established that there were tales of Sparda having sired a set of twins previously, and since Dante and Vergil were 19 in DMC3...it wasn't them.

Lunar Legend

Probably not that long, since DMC3 established that there were tales of Sparda having sired a set of twins previously, and since Dante and Vergil were 19 in DMC3...it wasn't them.
where does it officially say they were 19? i always assumed them to be a few hundred years old in human years and 19 in demon years

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Itsuno, the director, stated they were 19 years old, not "comparitivly 19", since Dante was a child when evea was murdered, and that was 20 years prior to DMC1. Kobayashi also said that Nero's the same age in DMC4 that Dante was in DMC3, so that placed his age as 19 as well.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Itsuno, the director, stated they were 19 years old, not "comparitivly 19", since Dante was a child when evea was murdered, and that was 20 years prior to DMC1. Kobayashi also said that Nero's the same age in DMC4 that Dante was in DMC3, so that placed his age as 19 as well.

So that must mean DmC Dante and Vergil are also 19. But Vergil seems 20.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
DmC is a seperate universe from DMC, and it is mentioned that Dante estimated to be in his "20s" by Bob's broadcast. However, since no timeline is given at all really for the time between Eva's murder/Sparda's exile and the present, probably between 19 and 21 or so.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Dante estimated to be in his "20s" by Bob's broadcast.
Yep, also on the raptor news site, one article also says he is in his 'early 20's' when describing the attack at the club.

Top Bottom