• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante is half demon, half angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Forgive me if I'm being lazy and not clicking every link I see about this (it's ****ing me off.) is it officially official that he's 1/2 angel or are people just speculating? :/

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
HOLY CRAP I feel like I'm the only guy who thinks this is pretty cool. ._.

I'm gonna prepare to be chewed out now, cuz I know it's gonna happen.

Meg

*snicker snicker* BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Wow that's rich. Thank you Capcom/NT I needed a good lau-

Wait they're serious? ..........PFFFFFFTTTTTT!!!!!

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Forgive me if I'm being lazy and not clicking every link I see about this (it's ******* me off.) is it officially official that he's 1/2 angel or are people just speculating? :/

Not speculation.

Capcom and NT released a little bit of info regarding the story and how Dante being half Angel and half Demon will play a role in the game.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
^ Thanks. I was hoping it was speculation. What are they thinking? :( like I said earlier they might as well create a new game franchise. Is anything DMC left in this DmC? *sigh* (apart from the main character being called Dante....and 1 half or him is demon.)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/16/dmc-devil-may-cry-dante-is-half-devil-and-half-angel/

I think this means that indeed, the game is a reboot. An unnecessary one, but a reboot nonetheless.

Getting back on the half demon, half angel thing, I think it's completely retarded. As well as the fact that the schythe is supposed to be holy. What is holy about a schythe?!?

I'd like to read your opinions on this.

Seems like overkill to me because now he is too powerful since he has got both angel powers and demon powers, i kind of prefer him being half human half demon my self. but i still need to see how it plays out.

I dont think that it is a unneccesarry since a reboot is not the only option as you could have fixed the old series but that would require someone with a gameplan or it would require capcom to actually care about it which they didnt. It is the easier since a reboot is easier to market than a revamp plus it is less baggage to deal with since the series was going nowhere.

maybe its blessed

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Hey, looks like fun to play around with. ^_^ I wonder what new combos can be done if you can switch between the two weapons quickly? *ponders*

OriginalOutcast

What ****es me off isn't just what they changed around in the plot of with that Half Angel/Demon Little Nicky Bullshit, But that they had to rip off the Holy/Unholy Gameplay Mechanic from Dante's Inferno. The closest weapon Dante ever had to an Axe was in DMC3 with the Nevan Guitar. (Watch the new gameplay trailer and footage of Dante's Inferno Back to back so you can see what I'm talking about.)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
...That's one hell of a retcon. -____________-

I thought the whole point of DMC was that Dante chose to side with the humans. There are no angels, or Sparda, a demon, would not have had to become the saviour of the human race. And that Dante, despite the obvious temptation of his heritage, opts to defend the weak out of his own reasoning. That makes the idea of being a half-human and half-demon who deliberately shuns evil (and therefore in a sense himself) more powerful than a guy who is half an angel as well, surely?*

Gawd.

*In some existing religions, 'angels' are messengers of God, and they have no free will because they are completely pure. In Islam for example, There are angels, humans and D'jinn. D'jinn are more akin to demons than humans, but like humans, they have free will - unlike angels who cannot possibly disobey Allah. And in Judeo-Christian religion angels have been cast out of Heaven for disobeying God, and therefore are no longer angels. What I'm saying is that demons are far more understandable from the human perspective than angels are... and it's more unexpected and powerful an idea that a demon chose the side of good of his own free will than an angel doing so, because an angel is predisposed to goodness.

Unless we're talking Bayonetta, in which case it's just warring factions, one of which is nicknamed angels. -_-

Chibi shoulder sitting sized Devil Dante "Lets play guitar! Don't blink! Chicks dig me. Lets juggle enemies with our guns. Wanna dance? Let's rock! Maybe if you twirl this sword real fast we'll make some fire. Hahaha! Do you have any more pixie stix? Jackpot!"

Shoulder Angel Dante (AKA Cambridge Theory Dante) "Oh, it's 4 hours past noon, time for tea. Remember your manners and please try to use your correct spoon this time. Oh bother, looks like those marionettes want to fight again. Drat."

The Dante we're left with, "I need a smoke before I cut myself and cry in a corner."

I lol'd.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Aaaaaand my faith in this game is now, officially, broken ladies and gentlemen!

It may be a reboot, but making him half angel/half demon as opposed to what he always was, half human/half demon, is silly. I'm not gonna expand too far into why considering most, if not all of the reasons have been previously stated and I'd merely be rehashing things, but this is starting to sound more and more like a really bad fan fiction.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
^The comment that Inspired my FB status.
(DmC ~ NT's version of Twilight)

I thought of Little Nicky last night before I went to bed... (it just reminded me of the film.)

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
So far nobody has been able to debate what I said earlier...

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
And what was it you said earlier?

Just how him being half angel does explain certain things. My post is the first post to reply to this Thread. I'm not looking for an argument, just a sensible debate. Everyone keeps coming here stating how it's such a bad idea and they aren't giving any reason apart from "Capcom designed him as half human and half demon".

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Just how him being half angel does explain certain things. My post is the first post to reply to this Thread. I'm not looking for an argument, just a sensible debate. Everyone keeps coming here stating how it's such a bad idea and they aren't giving any reason apart from "Capcom designed him as half human and half demon".

The thing that has always made Dante unique is his Human Heart and his Human side.

Making him half angel completely defeats the purpose of what was established already.

So I would have to disagree with making him half Angel explains anything.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
The thing that has always made Dante unique is his Human Heart and his Human side.

Making him half angel completely defeats the purpose of what was established already.

So I would have to disagree with making him half Angel explains anything.

It explains several things. I've stated them before, so I won't state them again. I understand where you're coming from, but it to me seems like a stubborn state of mind and an aggression towards change that a lot of you are feeling. If people won't accept that NT are going this way, you'll dislike the game for a very silly reason. They could of made him all angel.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
So far nobody has been able to debate what I said earlier...

You're on... >: p

I'll disagree, and I'll tell you why. Totally overpowered characters are boring characters.

I appreciate that the guy who originally designed Dante apparently claims he wanted to create an 'overpowered character' "that 'nobody can hurt', that nobody except the Devil himself can battle", quote, or something like that. But in Devil May Cry 1, Dante was not given overpowered strength, not until his 'Sparda' DT kicked in near the end, when Mundus shot three bolts through him. Dante shows physical vulnerability to wounds in cutscenes. They don't seem to kill him, but he is incapacitated for a while; he bleeds, and apparently feels pain, unlike the DTs of the franchise who neither flinch nor bleed. So we can assume he is not fully immortal or invincible. Also, he seems powerful and practically invincible only when the demonic side overtakes, but not otherwise, and it would not really make for an interesting game if he spent the whole of it in DT. So there's no need to assume he needs an angel's attributes to survive injuries when the demonic are implied to thrive on pain and grow stronger the longer they remain in a demonic state. It's enough to revive them. And Dante needed Trish's help too, to defeat Mundus. He is vulnerable, and quite a few fans prefer Dante of 1 because he is, and he shows it, physically and emotionally. "An audience loves a hero is is also vulnerable" is something I've heard from film critics. And I think it's true. It's why everybody loves Indiana Jones... he's believable, he's human, he acts like we would, and he doesn't always win or get it right. And why people get bored when there's no risk of a hero losing or dying. People also love a hero that they can relate to. We relate to the old Dante because he has a human half, because he is in some ways like us. If he were not, how would we relate emotionally, beyond just wanting to smash things up in a game as this badass we wished we were but can't really relate to?

If this new Dante is overpowered and has no weaknesses, there's not much to drive tension, or anticipation with the character or the plot. If the hero is beset, fighting for his life, I find it far more exciting and interesting than if he's just sauntering around blasting a demon here and there, cracking one-liners, because he's the invulnerable son of the holy and unholy. That's a fun idea, sure, but there needs to be risk. We as the player need to feel risk to have a truly satisfying experience.

People say to me some of their favourite moments in the series involving Dante were when he teamed up with his brother to defeat Arkham, because he couldn't alone, or when he was beaten by somebody, and was saved by some deus ex machina, a friend, or some other emotional plot point, like the amulet. Or even when he cries. Nobody much talks about that time Dante just shot Arius out of the window, or killed the Despair Embodied, because there's so little tension or emotion to it.

If they have to go with this angel/demon thing, they should do themselves a favour and add some risk. Anyone remember Ikaruga? Where white is vulnerable to black and black to white? They could make it more interesting that way by adding that if Dante were using angelic weapons against angelic creatures he would not hurt them as much as demons, and they would not hurt him if he were in an 'angelic' DT, and vice versa. But so far no indication of actual angels as enemies, and such a system...?

I guess NT are basically sealing the deal on this Dante that he is their creation and not much to do with the original Dante at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom