• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Chloe and Meg's Writing Q&A

Meg

It has been decided that me and Chloe will start up a writing help service. Got a question about anything writing related? Need a beta reader? Ask!

And now info on the staff:

meg127- President, Founder, CEO
Chloe_Ryder- slave

Just kidding! :lol:

Anyway! Need help? Need concrit? Need inspiration? ASK! We're here for you.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Aye, reporting for duty Ms President! *salute* :lol:

Seriously, you have questions, we have answers!
^_^

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Wow, guys (or should I say girls), this is really cool! =D I'll probably end up being here a lot. :dry:

Er...this is actually a question my mum had, but I'm not sure how to explain it to her. So...how do you get characters dialouge to all sound different without changing who they essentially are (ie. not adding an accent, dumbing them down/smartening them up, etc.)?

Oh, and I have a question about gramar. :dry: Is it gramatically correct to type: "I'll never get this done," Rae said as Marcus muttered, "Why did I pick you for a writer?" Or should each line of dialouge be a seperate line? It confuzzles me since it's being said at the same time. :wacko:

Sorry for all this rambling. >_<

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I can help you out with the dialogue question!
Every character is different and it'll come across in how they speak. An optimistic character would say "Looks like the storm will blow over in no time" whereas a pessimistic character would say "This storm is never gonna clear up at this rate!" Characters also have different vocabularies and slang, such as D & V for example:

"I want to ask that babe over there out on a date. You got any tips on how I can do that without looking like a douche?"

"I don't know and I don't care."

"Come on! I'm asking your advice here!"

"Then I'd advise you to leave me alone or die."

"Dude, if you don't know how to sweet talk chics, just say so."

Mmmmmaybe not SUCH a good example, but you can tell who is who, right?
Vergil wouldn't use the words 'babe' and 'bro' and 'dude' because his upbringing was essentially different to Dante's, and so his vocabulary is different too.

I'm not sure about the grammar one. I think it looks fine but I recon Meg will know better than me.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Oh, I see. Thankies, Chloe. ^^ *can't believe she never thought about that before* (Btw, I think it's a good example. Hehe. *quotes*)

*nods*

Meg

Shadow;271295 said:
Oh, and I have a question about gramar. :dry: Is it gramatically correct to type: "I'll never get this done," Rae said as Marcus muttered, "Why did I pick you for a writer?" Or should each line of dialouge be a seperate line? It confuzzles me since it's being said at the same time. :wacko:

When a new character speaks it has to be on a separate line. So like this:

"I'll never get this done." Rae said.
At the same time Marcus muttered, "Why did I pick you for a writer?"

Good question! ^_^

Lerrion

Wild Ranger
I could have joined your little team, ladies, however, I have nothing to offer. I guess, you must post at least one piece of fiction here, a complete and finished piece of fiction. That I lack. And I lack questions towards you, since I know how to write stuff, it's just that I don't have much time or resilience to sit and put down all of the words in my head. That's the only problem I have - laziness.

Still, I like your project, hope you'll help those in need of guidance

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
^lol, thanks ^_^
And it's not laziness. It's called procrastination. We all do it. Writers more than others. >_<

Lerrion

Wild Ranger
Indeed. It's like this - I want to write something down, but don't feel like doin' it. However, once I start I cannot stop, words burst out of me like geyser. For example, last night I managed to make up a description of the main character in my story, it was getting late and I barely made myself stop writing and go to sleep. Now I feel so tired =/ but is was worth it! Can't wait to share my manuscript with others.

Oh yes, I do have one question! You seem to be a veteran on this forum, so you must know this: is it okay to post ANY kind of writings, not just dmc fan fiction in this section ? In example, I want to post some dark non-positive and unorthodox fantasy story here, on this forum. That's okay, right ?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
As long as it doesn't include too mature themes, because a lot of members are under age, and if you do include material in your story that you would class as PG, put a clear warning up in a note before your first chapter. Other members have posted their original work so you may as well.

But don't be shy to add a couple of DMC fics for every original you post *hint hint*

Lerrion

Wild Ranger
I tried to write some dmc related stories, heroes of might and magic stories, star wars stories, even powerpuff girls stories (lol), but simply can't do it. I hate writing fan fiction... I have a feeling as if I'm dependent on it, I have to write in the rules of that universe, so the fan fiction would be right. Which means - to obey the franchise. I hate obeying and taking orders, so I mainly write my own original stuff.

By the way, the powerpuff story evolved into an original one =)

Meg

Lerrion;271422 said:
I could have joined your little team, ladies, however, I have nothing to offer. I guess, you must post at least one piece of fiction here, a complete and finished piece of fiction. That I lack. And I lack questions towards you, since I know how to write stuff, it's just that I don't have much time or resilience to sit and put down all of the words in my head. That's the only problem I have - laziness.

Still, I like your project, hope you'll help those in need of guidance

Er....ok? Well thanks, but you know, no writer is perfect. That's why this is a two woman team and not a solo project. So who knows, you might find you need help from us some day. :p ;)

Anyone have any questions? :)

illidan

seriously this place is the best i need alittle help. i got this story i have had for like 5 or 6 years now that i made in a weird way. I now know whats happening and how its going to end so i really dont have much to fill in the blanks coul i have you guys give me pointers on where and how to plug the leaks?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm sure we can help, but you need to be specific with what exactly you need help with. Maybe post an excerpt of your work, or PM if you don't want to post it for everyone to see.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
meg127;271416 said:
When a new character speaks it has to be on a separate line. So like this:

"I'll never get this done." Rae said.
At the same time Marcus muttered, "Why did I pick you for a writer?"

Good question! ^_^

=D Thankies!

*sigh* Now to edit my story. *drags her muses off to do editing* :dry:

Top Bottom