• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom/Ninja theory's plan was to replace Dante?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I know that Heavenly sword (cutscene finishers, three stances, angel) and Enslaved (mystery girl support) ideas has been used in DmC. I wouldn't call it inspiration because it's just ideas that Ninja theory developers have from previous games.

Kung fu Chaos ideas? Where do you see that Z218?

it was sarcasm but you never know, there could be some kung fu action movie moments or characters.

plus people do think that dante's gun stance was a shoutout to john woo films.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Supposedly they have ripped off Dark Watch with gun design:

Darkwatch.jpg

Also funny comic strip :D

Lying_Puppet.gif

berto

I Saw the Devil
That's what that youtube guy said, too, Main Event, he's pretty strong on his opposition of the game.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
That's what that youtube guy said, too, Main Event, he's pretty strong on his opposition of the game.
He's a cool dude.

EDIT:

reboot_comparison_tomb_devil_may_cry.jpg

I am loving the Tomb Raider character reboot. Looks very, very nice. You can guess whati am not loving :p

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Okay, so the topic at hand here is that you (CoolDemon) think that Capcom wants to replace the old Dante. You feel that this 'new Dante' threatens the 'old Dante' and you don't like that. I can understand, we all take change bad at times and whatnot. And they never made it clear at first where they were going with this, so I can see how this has enraged some people. But let me say this on the subject...

...Tameem said that he thought what was cool before, isn't cool now. What is old, isn't new and fresh. This is a logical point. Technology moves forwards, not backwards. As does fashion and being cool. Yeah, trends come and go. And at times, technology has to take a step back until it can take a step forward. But in the end, you always end up with something new, different and unique. The very fact that it was Tameem who said this suggests that Capcom still regard Dante as cool. Is Dante still featured in other games other than Devil May Cry? Let's say, Marvel Vs Capcom 3. It's not 'new' Dante we're seeing in there, is it? What does this tell us then? That Dante isn't cool any more? Or that he is replaced, when clearly Capcom have never even hinted that they won't be continuing the Devil May Cry series. And the very fact that it isn't 'reboot' Dante in these other games. Tameem works for Ninja Theory, not Capcom. IF Capcom were stating that they thought Dante wasn't cool any more and everything else, then you could assume that they were trying to get rid of him. They were seeing how another game company (One that is getting off the ground and trying bigger things) would interpret something like Devil May Cry. It's a project, a side project at that. A side project that runs as parallel to the 'real original Devil May Cry series', or whatever you wish to call it. That said, it was not an attempt to try and get rid of the old Dante to replace him with this. Capcom has not said this, neither has Ninja Theory.

And lastly, I find your last post rather odd. To me it seems very contradictory to anything else you have said before. You like the way in which the Tomb Raider reboot is going, but not the way in which this is going. Are we aware that they are making more Tomb Raider games based from the actual original Tomb Raider series, or are we assuming that this is a completely new direction for Tomb Raider and Lara Croft as a whole? I have used the Tomb Raider game as a comparison to this game, and now I see that Tomb Raider does not seem to clarify with an air of certainty that the original series will continue. Whereas with this, it seems quite certain that Devil May Cry will continue with DmC at the sidelines.

Therefore, you accept something totally new like this yet fail to appreciate the move in which Capcom and Ninja Theory made when they have said that DmC is set in a parallel universe, is non canon to DMC and is in its own respect a separate game. The reboot of Lara Croft, is this set in a different universe? Or are we using the 'old' Lara Croft as a template, as you like to call it? It seems to me that the very fact that you pick on others for being a fan of this NEW and supposedly completely different Dante and for supporting or accepting what this game is all about, is rather a bit harsh and unfair. Considering the basis of your previous post.

Surely you CAN'T be a 'true' fan of Lara Croft then, since you 'support' the Tomb Raider reboot. And if that is the case, you can't honestly say that others can't like the old DMC and the new (Even though it's not new, it's just different) DmC. Otherwise myself or anyone else has the right to say to you that you can't possibly like the new Lara Croft and the way in which Tomb Raider is moving forward.

Contradiction, I just find it rather a funny thing.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Okay, so the topic at hand here is that you (CoolDemon) think that Capcom wants to replace the old Dante. You feel that this 'new Dante' threatens the 'old Dante' and you don't like that. I can understand, we all take change bad at times and whatnot. And they never made it clear at first where they were going with this, so I can see how this has enraged some people. But let me say this on the subject...

...Tameem said that he thought what was cool before, isn't cool now. What is old, isn't new and fresh. This is a logical point. Technology moves forwards, not backwards. As does fashion and being cool. Yeah, trends come and go. And at times, technology has to take a step back until it can take a step forward. But in the end, you always end up with something new, different and unique. The very fact that it was Tameem who said this suggests that Capcom still regard Dante as cool. Is Dante still featured in other games other than Devil May Cry? Let's say, Marvel Vs Capcom 3. It's not 'new' Dante we're seeing in there, is it? What does this tell us then? That Dante isn't cool any more? Or that he is replaced, when clearly Capcom have never even hinted that they won't be continuing the Devil May Cry series. And the very fact that it isn't 'reboot' Dante in these other games. Tameem works for Ninja Theory, not Capcom. IF Capcom were stating that they thought Dante wasn't cool any more and everything else, then you could assume that they were trying to get rid of him. They were seeing how another game company (One that is getting off the ground and trying bigger things) would interpret something like Devil May Cry. It's a project, a side project at that. A side project that runs as parallel to the 'real original Devil May Cry series', or whatever you wish to call it. That said, it was not an attempt to try and get rid of the old Dante to replace him with this. Capcom has not said this, neither has Ninja Theory.

And lastly, I find your last post rather odd. To me it seems very contradictory to anything else you have said before. You like the way in which the Tomb Raider reboot is going, but not the way in which this is going. Are we aware that they are making more Tomb Raider games based from the actual original Tomb Raider series, or are we assuming that this is a completely new direction for Tomb Raider and Lara Croft as a whole? I have used the Tomb Raider game as a comparison to this game, and now I see that Tomb Raider does not seem to clarify with an air of certainty that the original series will continue. Whereas with this, it seems quite certain that Devil May Cry will continue with DmC at the sidelines.

Therefore, you accept something totally new like this yet fail to appreciate the move in which Capcom and Ninja Theory made when they have said that DmC is set in a parallel universe, is non canon to DMC and is in its own respect a separate game. The reboot of Lara Croft, is this set in a different universe? Or are we using the 'old' Lara Croft as a template, as you like to call it? It seems to me that the very fact that you pick on others for being a fan of this NEW and supposedly completely different Dante and for supporting or accepting what this game is all about, is rather a bit harsh and unfair. Considering the basis of your previous post.

Surely you CAN'T be a 'true' fan of Lara Croft then, since you 'support' the Tomb Raider reboot. And if that is the case, you can't honestly say that others can't like the old DMC and the new (Even though it's not new, it's just different) DmC. Otherwise myself or anyone else has the right to say to you that you can't possibly like the new Lara Croft and the way in which Tomb Raider is moving forward.

Contradiction, I just find it rather a funny thing.
I don't care much if Dante gets replaced or not at this point. But i just wanted to discuss if that might have been their plan with DmC.

I don't get your point about old and new. Mario hasn't changed in ages, and so hasn't Link. And what about Monkey from Enslaved how is he any way how people are in real life? Since some people bring up the argument that "DmC Dante is easier to relate to than DMC Dante".
And trends and being cool is not important in a video game unless it's what the game is about (the Sims for example). Good gameplay, story, atmosphere, music, etc is. I don't see how DmC and it's character is new or unique. Different it is though. The character is based off DMC Dante. Unique definition means being one of a kind. How is DmC's character that when DMC Dante is the same "kind"?.
Your points are good. I made this topic to discuss and you have brought up some good arguments about why they won't replace Dante.
To just remind you though that Capcom's Pr Manager Leo Tan did say "“I think it’s important that we aren’t ruling out the possibility of a Devil May Cry 5 to continue the story. We just want to see where the reboot goes first, before making any further decisions.”".

I hate the word reboot and rebooting in general. Because it's a cowards way of making games. Instead of trying to be innovative and try to come up with something new they milk exisiting games with reboots of them. For what? Money. But i like how Tomb raider character looks like in the reboot. And if you compare old tombraider game with reboot you will see signficant poorer graphics in old games. So i like graphical improvements that reboots bring and that is why i tolerate such reboots.

But 2008 Prince of Persia and this DmC reboot are reboots i don't tolerate. They are totally unecessary. Instead of fixing DMC story - they decided to make a reboot in other words milk the series. If you find that acceptable then imagine a scenario of Capcom making two more "DMC" universes along with the current two. 1) called dmC 2) dMc. And then there would be total of one DMC game and 3 "DMC" games and the 3 "DMC" (the reboots) games share DMC as template (source of idea, gameplay , character). Would that be ok? No, and neither should one reboot be (especially one that's so different and not necessary).

The true fan thing is something i have cast away. But i believe that we are fan of something more than something else. Because that's how we are in general about interests, friends, idols, characters, series etc.
For example if you had to make a choice because a game company asked you "Do you want us to make sequel to Game A or Game B ?" (and person having to make a choice is fan of both game serie). You can't say both - then which would you choose? Whichever you choose it shows that people can be fans of something more than something else.

Asmodaius

Monkey is relatable, because you see his vulnerability, his emotions, his inner conflict and such. He is human and it shows. THAT is why he is relatable, and that is why NT is praised for their skills of storytelling.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
^^ You made your points. I have to go to work, but I'll get back to you on this.

^ You're just sneaky :p

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Monkey is relatable, because you see his vulnerability, his emotions, his inner conflict and such. He is human and it shows. THAT is why he is relatable, and that is why NT is praised for their skills of storytelling.
And Dante is a characer without any emotions right? That is why he griefed over Trish, Nelo Angelous, Vergil.
He has no inner conflict that is why he told Vergil "Father? I dont have a father".

Ninja theory are supposed to make Dante more human by developing the character of Dante. But they have focused on his outer look and how he is portrayed in that way. A punk british affiliated street brawler who smokes and is half angel and half human. Yes, he's a character i can relate to quite well.

Asmodaius

And Dante is a characer without any emotions right? That is why he griefed over Trish, Nelo Angelous, Vergil.
He has no inner conflict that is why he told Vergil "Father? I dont have a father".

Ninja theory are supposed to make Dante more human by developing the character of Dante. But they have focused on his outer look and how he is portrayed in that way. A punk british affiliated street brawler who smokes and is half angel and half human. Yes, he's a character i can relate to quite well.

I never said that DMC Dante never was relatable, but he rarely shows his human side in the games. He mostly seems like this immortal and almost inhuman demon hunter, joking around with his cocky personality without a care in the world, because even with several scythes slashed through his flesh, he can still enjoy a slice of pizza... That is quite unrelatable. There are very few moments where he actually does show his humanity, and those you suggested are some of those few moments. They are, however, too few in my opinion.

In the first trailer of DmC we see a skinny Dante chained up, looking almost psychotic, incredibly vulnerable and weak. That was strictly opposite of how we've EVER seen Dante in the past. Being in such a situation he appears as human as ever, something we have never seen DMC Dante be like. And the fact that he smokes also shows a human weakness that many can relate to.

You just look at the surface. And if you only ever look at the surface, you will never understand my points.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Changing or creating a character so that fans can relate to them is stupid. Especially in this case as Dante where he has a half that's demon. How are you supposed to catch a half demon? Though i find the regenerative power of Dante as a exaggeration. As far as DmC's smoking habbit goes it isn't there to show weakness. It's there to make character cool.

I tell you what if it matters to you so much that DmC's character is relateable then i suggest that you go to Ninja theory forums and suggest to them that Dante should show homosexual feelings towards males in the game, and that he shoud look like the description of you physically and have same interests, feelings and emotions.

Speaking of what DmC's character is inspired by:
I can't help but get a assosication of vampires when i see him. Especially Twilight's Edward Cullen. And it's not the hair but the glare he has in trailer and his "black hair" and vampire bloody kinda looking eyes.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
And smoking cigarettes isn't cool, but quitting smoking is. And that is a quality i could relate too if Dante does quit smoking. And he's never smoked another cigarette since the first trailer so don't get your hopes up to see him smoking in the game, because i think they may not need it anymore (imo)
Also DmC Dante already seem more "human" like than previous Dante's. Thats because in trailers this is the first time, i think, he's going on a crazy mission, and he is surprised, unsure maybe, over protective but still retaining his genuine charm, previously seen in games.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
That is YOUR personal opinion. Nothing more, nothing else.
Yes, that's right.
But how is it not a stupid thing if i can't relate to DmC's character? I am not british nor do i live in Great britain, i don't smoke, and i am not an angel, demon or punk. And the only thing i can relate to is that the character has problems just like everyone else in our world.

So you can say i relate to Dante as much DmC's character so far.

And smoking cigarettes isn't cool, but quitting smoking is. And that is a quality i could relate too if Dante does quit smoking. And he's never smoked another cigarette since the first trailer so don't get your hopes up to see him smoking in the game, because i think they may not need it anymore (imo)
Also DmC Dante already seem more "human" like than previous Dante's. Thats because in trailers this is the first time, i think, he's going on a crazy mission, and he is surprised, unsure maybe, over protective but still retaining his genuine charm, previously seen in games.
Smoking has never been cool lol. But that's the idea behind smoking is to make the character look cool.

1:48 - Very cool smoker spotted ! :D

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Well i smoke, and im not trying to be cool, it really calms me down. But in NT's case, I think they were just trying to give Dante something people could relate too. I think it wasn't the best of ideas, because of all the NO smoking campaigning going on, but had it been 30 years ago, i dont think it would matter.

Asmodaius

Yes, that's right.
But how is it not a stupid thing if i can't relate to DmC's character? I am not british nor do i live in Great britain, i don't smoke, and i am not an angel, demon or punk. And the only thing i can relate to is that the character has problems just like everyone else in our world.

So you can say i relate to Dante as much DmC's character so far.

Smoking has never been cool lol. But that's the idea behind smoking is to make the character look cool.

Again, you only look at the surface. And I don't think you are capable to do otherwise (you haven't really shown that you can yet), so you might never understand my points. I could keep trying to explain it to you, but I doubt you will ever get it.

Oh, and also, smoking was VERY cool when cigarettes first came on the market. People didn't know how unhealthy it is, so it did indeed became a cool factor to smoke back then. However, today everyone are all about good health and keeping the environment and yadda yadda yadda...

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Well i smoke, and im not trying to be cool, it really calms me down. But in NT's case, I think they were just trying to give Dante something people could relate too. I think it wasn't the best of ideas, because of all the NO smoking campaigning going on, but had it been 30 years ago, i dont think it would matter.
Seriously are we even gonna think of going into a discussion about why they made him smoke?
I am not saying you smoke to be cool though. My impressions about what made people smoke is that they did it to gain accepted by a group. Not saying that's the case for everyone though.

But IF smoking is something they made the character do because they thought "Hey let's show that he has weakness so that people can relate to him" then i fail to see how Ninja theory are good at what people say they are good at. Not that i believe that at 1:48 in DmC trailer the character smokes cigarettes as if he's making a poem by smoking.

berto

I Saw the Devil
No, not about the smoking, about the possibility that Capcom wants to dispose of the original Dante. So did they get rid of Dante? No, there he is, but they got rid of alot of what made him who he was, some of them seemed down right blaiten changes to constrast the original.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
No, not about the smoking, about the possibility that Capcom wants to dispose of the original Dante. So did they get rid of Dante? No, there he is, but they got rid of alot of what made him who he was, some of them seemed down right blaiten changes to constrast the original.
He is where other than Marvel and others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom