• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

btmudd28 explains Vergil's motives once and for all (HEAVY SPOILERS)

btmudd28

The ending of DmC has been the topic of hot debate on this forum. The seemingly random flipping of a switch in Vergil's personality turned a lot of people off and made it seem that the Dante vs Vergil aspect of the series that we all knew would come to light, was shoehorned in out of obligation. I'm here to tell you that while it may have originally been out of obligation, since the series is based on this sibling rivalry, that it actually works in the context of Ninja Theory's story.

First off, if you pay close attention, Vergil's brutalness and apathy towards what he essentials sees as pawns in his grand scheme are heavily foreshadowed throughout the game without being blatantly stated. He is willing to throw Kat away to the feds, despite the trouble he went through to save her in the prequel comic, "Vergil's Chronicles," as well as her "usefullness" as he so eloquently puts it. Some people might see this has poor character development, that Vergil's aggressiveness comes out of nowhere, but I see it as just the opposite. It's a fatal character flaw. A flaw that makes him all the more interesting in my opinion. Vergil's anger isn't random. It is a result of something not going his way, and potentially jeopardizing his life's work. Lilith was expendable. Kat was expendable. Vergil sees them both as pawns in his quest foooooooor... What's the word everyone? Control! Exactly.

As a high school political science teacher, I can truly appreciate the difference between Dante's Locke-ian view on freedom Vergil's Hobbes-ian stance on freedom. These are key elements to their beliefs. Dante fundamentally believes that people are meant to be free, to decide their fates themselves a la John Locke. Anarchy basically. Vergil takes the Thomas Hobbes approach and believes that with unlimited freedom, humans would destroy everything along with themselves. The collision of Limbo and the real world has created the quintessential State of Nature that Locke and Hobbes both write about. And so raises the question, what does freedom within the State of Nature entail?

Hobbes argued that life in the state of nature is poor, nasty, brutish, and short. And without some kind of control and leadership, it is impossible to escape the state of nature. Hobbes believed that humans need to give up unlimited freedom in the state of nature, in order to secure a few unalienable freedoms and ultimately escape from the state of nature. Locke believes that freedom in the state of nature is the truest form of freedom; deciding your own fate and ruling yourself. Vergil=Hobbes. Dante=Locke. Vergil seeks to lead humanity out of this darkness, Dante thinks they are capable of leading themselves without having to be subservient to an omnipotent ruler.

These beliefs are what make the two brothers so dynamic. Locke's and Hobbe's stances on freedom are the building blocks of basic political thought, and it's possible for everyone to have a different opinion on the matter. It's easy for us to choose sides in this fight, regardless of who we're actually playing as. Do you think that humans are capable of ruling themselves? Or do you think that order and control is the only way to organize the chaos?

When Dante questions Vergil's motives, he is questioning his brother's key philosophy. The very foundation of his beliefs. It's incredibly insulting to Vergil. Dante, who spent days with him helping him to take down a demon lord, dares to question Vergil's seemingly noble motives. Vergil has been waiting for this moment for years it would seem, and now out of nowhere, his punk brother who just learned the truth of the world just a few days earlier thinks he knows better! Of course Vergil is going to be insulted! Dante is a threat to Vergil's plans, and as I've pointed out, Vergil does not like it when people jeopardize his plans. Vergil spent what appears to be years looking for Dante so that they could take their rightful places as the protectors of humanity, unbeknownst to both of them that they had very different ideas on how they should go about the actual protecting. Dante through absolute freedom. Vergil through benevolent control.

It's easy to see why Vergil flipped his switch so quickly if you think about how adamantly people are willing to stand up for their beliefs and what they think is best, especially if you compare it to the way people defend their religious beliefs. Have you ever questioned someone's fundamental beliefs, the very fabric of their being, their reason for existing? People get quite angry when you do this. People are willing to fight and die for these beliefs. So based on this reasoning alone, it's easy to see why Vergil and Dante are so quick to attack each other.

Here's the key to their fight though: half of their entire being is demonic. Dante and Vergil have demonic blood coursing through their veins. Through their very nature, they are hot heads! Dante obviously is shown throughout the game making rash decisions, but Vergil has his moments too where he yells and seems to lose his cool. Remember, they're demons. What would make a normal person mad, would absolutely enrage a demon, right? Questioning a regular person's beliefs is an easy way to start a fight between normal human beings, questioning a demon's fundamental beliefs? It's going to lead to quite the heated exchange. Get it? Heated exchange. Hell? Demons? Yeah yeah, terrible pun.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Very well stated dude. I always saw the Vergil and Dante relationship in this game as chaos and control(shadow the hedgehog...)Every aspect about the characters from their fighting style, beliefs, mannerisms, even their character design is made to reinforce this simple conflict and is one of the best aspects of the plot.

DarkSlayer54

It makes sense... but I still hate it how dramatically they lost love for each other.

They both got their memories back (or partially back), and so they both remembered themselves during their childhood. On top of that, they were warming up to themselves and in an instant.... Dante hesitated about pulling his sword out of Vergil's chest and Vergil seems to loose any love towards Dante.

This is what annoyed me the most. Vergil was darker in DMC3 since he was neutral, in DmC his intentions are good and their hate towards each other seems to be stronger in the last mission. It's clear that in DMC3 both brothers loved each other, neither of them would have even tried killing one another if the opportunity came. Of course, Dante wanted to stop Vergil, and Vergil wanted to push Dante onto the ground as he continued his quest... but neither of them wanted to see the other die, under any circumstance.

Dante's hesitation alone in DmC makes me shiver. I just don't understand how these new versions of the brothers could be so different. Even they were both deeply insulted, how could they completely their brotherly love for each other? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but all their actions in the last mission suggest they genuinely hated each other.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Nicely said. Not a lot of people know where those two ideals came from, or think to apply it so readily to stuff like games :p

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It makes sense... but I still hate it how dramatically they lost love for each other.

They both got their memories back (or partially back), and so they both remembered themselves during their childhood. On top of that, they were warming up to themselves and in an instant.... Dante hesitated about pulling his sword out of Vergil's chest and Vergil seems to loose any love towards Dante.

This is what annoyed me the most. Vergil was darker in DMC3 since he was neutral, in DmC his intentions are good and their hate towards each other seems to be stronger in the last mission. It's clear that in DMC3 both brothers loved each other, neither of them would have even tried killing one another if the opportunity came. Of course, Dante wanted to stop Vergil, and Vergil wanted to push Dante onto the ground as he continued his quest... but neither of them wanted to see the other die, under any circumstance.

Dante's hesitation alone in DmC makes me shiver. I just don't understand how these new versions of the brothers could be so different. Even they were both deeply insulted, how could they completely their brotherly love for each other? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but all their actions in the last mission suggest they genuinely hated each other.

They may have been brothers who who gained all their fond memories, but they still lived and grew up apart, to the point where they don't really know how differently they became. Y'know?

btmudd28

I'm not sure if they genuinely hated each other. It's never made apparent if Vergil was trying to kill Dante, it's possible he was just trying to beat him into submission, but alas there's no evidence to support that so it's basically your opinion versus mine when it comes to that. I think Dante's blatant disregard for Vergil's life stems from the Devil Trigger induced super-rage that he goes into. He lost control and was going to kill Vergil, until Kat stepped in.

I've seen someone make the point that Kat's intervention is what is so bothersome about the end of that ordeal; that Dante only let up on Vergil because Kat begged him to stop and it wasn't Dante's love for his brother that caused him to stop. And I agree with that, it would have been much more impactful if Dante regained his control and was like "oops, that's totes my brother. Probably shouldn't kill him."

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Their demon blood obviously. I mean when two brothers fight, they get pretty mad at each other, but when one really hurts the other, they stop.

But these are demon brothers, and if one gets really hurt, the other must make more pain.

DarkSlayer54

They may have been brothers who who gained all their fond memories, but they still lived and grew up apart, to the point where they don't really know how differently they became. Y'know?
I guess so. Even though they barely knew each other, I was just so confused as to why Dante wanted to kill (or almost kill) Vergil. I just can't wrap my head around that...
It's just not clicking in my head... to me, that's like adding 3 + 2, and getting a result of 7.

I'm not sure if they genuinely hated each other. It's never made apparent if Vergil was trying to kill Dante, it's possible he was just trying to beat him into submission, but alas there's no evidence to support that so it's basically your opinion versus mine when it comes to that. I think Dante's blatant disregard for Vergil's life stems from the Devil Trigger induced super-rage that he goes into. He lost control and was going to kill Vergil, until Kat stepped in.

I've seen someone make the point that Kat's intervention is what is so bothersome about the end of that ordeal; that Dante only let up on Vergil because Kat begged him to stop and it wasn't Dante's love for his brother that caused him to stop. And I agree with that, it would have been much more impactful if Dante regained his control and was like "oops, that's totes my brother. Probably shouldn't kill him."
I guess the Devil Trigger rage is a good explanation. I dunno, I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with the ending. As you've said, I think it's Kat's fault for my dislike to it. If Dante snapped out of it himself, then I wouldn't of had too much issue with it... but Vergil still said he no longer loved Dante, which painfully seems to forshadow a future encounter.

Triceranuke

Ok, I might be misremembering this but didn't Vergil definitely try to murder the hell out of Dante in 3?
You know, the whole stabbing him through the chest with rebellion the same way Dante does to Vergil in DmC.

I don't remember if Vergil knew that wouldn't kill him or not.

DarkSlayer54

Ok, I might be misremembering this but didn't Vergil definitely try to murder the hell out of Dante in 3?
You know, the whole stabbing him through the chest with rebellion the same way Dante does to Vergil in DmC.

I don't remember if Vergil knew that wouldn't kill him or not.
Surely not. Vergil was well aware of his own limits, and he was already capable of tapping into his devil trigger. Given, almost everything in DMC3 is pretty much just assumption, but with Vergil's prior knowledge of sparda and his understanding of his own power and abilities... I'm sure he knew very well that Dante wouldn't have even come close to dying.
Especially since he was only mildly surprised that Dante awakened at that moment.

But, you know... once again, it's all about assumptions and each person will have a different view of DMC3.

btmudd28

Surely not. Vergil was well aware of his own limits, and he was already capable of tapping into his devil trigger. Given, almost everything in DMC3 is pretty much just assumption, but with Vergil's prior knowledge of sparda and his understanding of his own power and abilities... I'm sure he knew very well that Dante wouldn't have even come close to dying.
Especially since he was only mildly surprised that Dante awakened at that moment.

But, you know... once again, it's all about assumptions and each person will have a different view of DMC3.

This is what I was thinking too. Vergil had surely unlocked his Devil Trigger by this point and given how Dante's Devil Trigger was only awoken after his blood is spilled by his own sword, Vergil's was (again, with that probably word) probably unlocked in the same manner. So Vergil probably knew that attacking Dante with Rebellion would awake the devil inside him. Probably.

Triceranuke

This is what I was thinking too. Vergil had surely unlocked his Devil Trigger by this point and given how Dante's Devil Trigger was only awoken after his blood is spilled by his own sword, Vergil's was (again, with that probably word) probably unlocked in the same manner. So Vergil probably knew that attacking Dante with Rebellion would awake the devil inside him. Probably.
My problem with that is that Vergil is obviously trying to stop Dante from stopping him. Why would he knowingly give him a power boost?

btmudd28

My problem with that is that Vergil is obviously trying to stop Dante from stopping him. Why would he knowingly give him a power boost?

To spite him? I don't think Vergil sees Dante as a threat until their very last fight so I don't think he was worried about a power boost. And remember, Dante in DMC3 is ashamed of his demonic heritage as evidenced by him denying the fact that he even has a father because Sparda was a demon. So when Vergil asks him, "Why do you refuse to gain power; the power of our father, Sparda," what better way to stick it to your brother who despises the idea of being a demon than forcing him to transform into one?

Triceranuke

To spite him? I don't think Vergil sees Dante as a threat until their very last fight so I don't think he was worried about a power boost. And remember, Dante in DMC3 is ashamed of his demonic heritage as evidenced by him denying the fact that he even has a father because Sparda was a demon. So when Vergil asks him, "Why do you refuse to gain power; the power of our father, Sparda," what better way to stick it to your brother who despises the idea of being a demon than forcing him to transform into one?
I see where you're coming from, but I guess I just don't see DMC 3 Vergil as never wanting to kill Dante. I feel like he would if it meant he would reach his goal, a lot like this Vergil.

I do agree with you on the Kat thing with one exception. I'd like for Dante to have spared Vergil on his own but it's made perfectly clear that Kat IS his humanity. This Dante doesn't have any for himself, plus it drives home Dante's point. He, a Nephilim lost control and a human reigned him in, not to mention Kat who Vergil only saw as 'useful' saved him one last time.

DarkSlayer54

Huh, I never thought of that. That's so true. I guess what Vergil truly wanted was for Dante to gain that power along side him... or, perhaps he just wanted to gain that power as Dante watched, helpless. I like to think of Vergil in a brighter light though.

btmudd28

I see where you're coming from, but I guess I just don't see DMC 3 Vergil as never wanting to kill Dante. I feel like he would if it meant he would reach his goal, a lot like this Vergil.

I do agree with you on the Kat thing with one exception. I'd like for Dante to have spared Vergil on his own but it's made perfectly clear that Kat IS his humanity. This Dante doesn't have any for himself, plus it drives home Dante's point. He, a Nephilim lost control and a human reigned him in, not to mention Kat who Vergil only saw as 'useful' saved him one last time.

Never saw it that way but I definitely agree. Dante lost all trace of his humanity when he learned the truth of his genealogy. And even says that he doesn't know who he is anymore. So Kat being his actual humanity really works in a sappy, sentimental way and makes her even more important in my eyes. I'm glad you pointed that out!

Triceranuke

Never saw it that way but I definitely agree. Dante lost all trace of his humanity when he learned the truth of his genealogy. And even says that he doesn't know who he is anymore. So Kat being his actual humanity really works in a sappy, sentimental way and makes her even more important in my eyes. I'm glad you pointed that out!
Yeah, it might just be me but when I see people saying Dante or Vergil are terrible people I can't help but think they aren't actually people.
Demons are known for their brutality and hate, Angels for righteous fury and benevolence (for the most part). That's what their genetic makeup is. You can't expect beings like that to calmly talk their problems out over tea.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I think in that final battle Vergil and Date were just out to subdue each other as opposed to outright killing one another. Since they are not human they knew a brutal sword battle would not be enough to kill one another. Dante, however let go of himself and let his demonic nature take over and at that point was actually going to kill his brother. Kat brought him back to his senses since Dante does not have full control of his demonic side yet.

Top Bottom