• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

BBC's Sherlock

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Let's talk about the BBC's adaptation of Sherlock Holmes that finds Sherlock in the modern day tackling crime. Ironically enough, the upcoming Christmas special actually takes place during Victorian times, in a massive homage to the source material.

Here is a trailer.

For some reason the Christmas special is coming out on New years day. o_O

So, what do you guys think of the series? Do you like it, hate it or just not care.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I loved first two seasons, except for Adler's episode. Third season had one boring, one meh and one good episode. But I love their portrait of Sherlock and Watson. And not mentioning Jim Moriarty is really awesome villain. You can notice they really know their source material and actually paying lot of homage to them. I haven't checked but is fourth season out?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
First season was best. Then it started to tail off and begin to get crap. Hoping that the next offering is better.

Seems to happen to a lot of initially awesome shows - Luther was the same.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I loved first two seasons, except for Adler's episode. Third season had one boring, one meh and one good episode. But I love their portrait of Sherlock and Watson. And not mentioning Jim Moriarty is really awesome villain. You can notice they really know their source material and actually paying lot of homage to them. I haven't checked but is fourth season out?
Fourth season is not out yet, probably won't be until 2016 at the earliest, maybe 2017.

What didn't you like about "A Scandal in Bolivia"? (The Irene Adler episode)

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of their depiction of Moriarty, so I'm glad he won't be a recurring villain.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Fourth season is not out yet, probably won't be until 2016 at the earliest, maybe 2017.

What didn't you like about "A Scandal in Bolivia"? (The Irene Adler episode)

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of their depiction of Moriarty, so I'm glad he won't be a recurring villain.
first as book fan i had hard time with Irene's portrait in film and second I think overall story of episode was all over the place and didnt made much sense to me.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Here's some more details about the Christmas special, "The Abominable Bride".

It's going to be largely an original story, unconnected to the main Sherlock cannon. Steven Moffat said, "There are loads and loads of details from the original stories, and there is a case referenced in the story about 'Ricoletti with the club foot and his abominable wife', so this is broadly speaking, that.”
Those familiar with the Holmes stories might remember that last line from The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual" which Holmes described a bunch of cases in an old record but declines on any details.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

KRSkull

This show is amazing and funny. yeah sure it has only 9 episode in total but there are countless things that i loved about that show. and i don't know where to start. and i love the sibling quarrels.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Just watched the Christmas special. Was alright I guess.

I'll write my thoughts after I've slept on it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I kinda wanna get into it but the fact that Sherlock Holmes will always equal Victorian Age for me gets me off.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
This series takes place in the 21st century. Literally everything is updated to the modern day, from smartphone to aeroplanes and forensic science. This Christmas special was a one off that took place during Victorian times for no real reason.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
This series takes place in the 21st century. Literally everything is updated to the modern day, from smartphone to aeroplanes and forensic science. This Christmas special was a one off that took place during Victorian times for no real reason.

Nono, I meant that since in my head Sherlock Holmes will always equal Victorian Age, it being set in modern day puts me off. I worded that poorly, sorry. Me have bad Inglese.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Depends. According to this special he really is dead, but somehow back.
I suspect it's his twin brother. Especially with all the mention of twins at the beginning.

I really will be disappointed if he genuinely comes back through convoluted means.

Frazz

General gamer
Depends. According to this special he really is dead, but somehow back.
I suspect it's his twin brother. Especially with all the mention of twins at the beginning.

I really will be disappointed if he genuinely comes back through convoluted means.
Given that season 3 was viewed as disappointing by fans I think they may bring him back as he was just to appease those that like him. Twins could be an interesting way around it and I've heard it speculated that he's an A.I which could also work but who knows?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
The other reason I brought up "Twins" was because Moriarty had a younger brother in the original books.

His name? James...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Tbh the problem with season 3 was that season 2 was a good place to end it so going past that was always going to be a problem.

The show is still good tho but not as good as before to me.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Okay, I've slept and digested the episode in my mind.

The Good...
I liked the mystery behind The Abominable Bride. The characters were fun as always, especially the Victorian counterparts. Some of the special effects were great, like when Lestrade was explaining the case and the apartment was intertwined with the recreation of events. Moriarty being dead is good, hyped to see who is behind the events of season 4.

The Bad...
Moriarty being a hallucination in Sherlock's mind felt unnecessary and too fanservice. The fact that it all took place in Sherlock's drug addled mind was disappointing. It kinda killed the resolution to the story for me.
All in all, an okay episode. Not the best but not the worst either. Hasn't really restored my hope that future seasons will be better than the quagmire that was seasons 2 & 3.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I forgot how fun the show was and I was really digging the period set up and was disappointed to know that this was a one time thing.

Top Bottom