• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bayonetta & Devil May Cry take place in the same world (But not Really)

berto

I Saw the Devil

No, sir. I disagree. I respectfully and outerly disagree.

For one if you are to take a look at the moon in any DMC game you will notice a distinctive and very strong lack of a giant hole across it. Add to that the fact that if a boulder falls on Dante it will either crush him or bury him into the ground, not flatten him; DMC might take the laws of gravity as more of a suggestion than actual law but it is certainly not governed by any Wile E. Coyote, anvil to the head spoof laws. Ultimately all of these similarities are just references, otherwise both Bayonetta and DMC share the universe with Viewtiful Joe.

Still, the guy brings up some facts that maybe a few here and there don't know about, like the art piece from Bayonetta where Dante's losing his shirt to Enzo. It's not concept art, just art, and infact that's not Dante, it's Kamiya; it's titled Reducing the Devil to Tears and the caption says 'Director Kamiya's special... cameo? He's probably the only one who would be fooled by Enzo's pathetic cons and bluffs. Director Kamiya's not very good at these kinds of games" [Shimazaki]. In the manual for DMC1 Enzo mentions what a weird guy Dante is and that he might have blue blood but "if he glares at a guy, even the devil may cry."

He mentions how Sparda looks like a beatle or a stag beetle. I find that funny because in Japan there seems to be a long interest in stag beetles as fighters, rhinoceros beetle, mostly, but other beetles seem to be a thing there, too, so maybe the design isn't all that random demon. Very subjective, truth be told.

Before the novel the name Tony Redgrave was actually the name of the man that modified Sparda's guns in to E&I. It took him 2 years and he turned them into works of art. One summons the light of heaven and the other the fires from hell with every bullet. Also, Anthony is something the company dubbing DMC came up with calling him. In the Japanese dub it's Tony, there is no mention of any Anthony variations to his name.

Last edited:

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
@berto
For one if you are to take a look at the moon in any DMC game you will notice a distinctive and very strong lack of a giant hole across it. Add to that the fact that if a boulder falls on Dante it will either crush him or bury him into the ground, not flatten him; DMC might take the laws of gravity as more of a suggestion than actual law but it is certainly not governed by any Wile E. Coyote, anvil to the head spoof laws.
what i want to say to you
a47.jpg

what you would say back
ac3.png

i love to think that bayo and DMC share canon
but i get how they can't
Ultimately all of these similarities are just references, otherwise both Bayonetta and DMC share the universe with Viewtiful Joe.
i'm cool with every hideki kamiya game being in the same universe
i'm a sure why not kind of guy

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Hmm, I still didn't get why people is so eager to put Bayo and DMC in the same universe. As much they share some similarities and the same creator. That's all....

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Hmm, I still didn't get why people is so eager to put Bayo and DMC in the same universe. As much they share some similarities and the same creator. That's all....

I thought that's all it really came down to if I'm being honest with you. The similarities because they both had the same creator.

Gel

Premium
I thought that's all it really came down to if I'm being honest with you. The similarities because they both had the same creator
Not only that, Bayo is definitively inspired in DMC4 too: they share concepts and all. To believe they can share something is alright, but when you find someone who believe firmly" Sparda disappeared because he went to hell to get Eva's soul back", you know not only that person was ill informed as he/she can't distinguish between what is DMC or what is Bayo.
Kamiya plays with references even in "his " games: in Bayo, Luka's mom apparently abandoned him and his dad was killed by angels; TW101 says Luka( who is a little boy in that world) had his parents eliminated by aliens.Weird fan logic: Luka had his parents killed by angels who happened to be aliens from X planet.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I think the only one connection i can remember is Eva's reference in Bayonetta, but thats pretty much it >_>

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It's not "irrefutable proof" but some of these shoutouts are pretty cool and I wouldn't mind having them being built on.

The desire to link them together is it be pretty fun to see these two universe collide and interact with each other, which is the same for any other crossover.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not only that, Bayo is definitively inspired in DMC4 too: they share concepts and all.
Not quite to that extent. Kamiya said, long time ago, that he played DMC4 to get a sense of what the action games were like these days but he only played half of the game; for the record he says the only experience he has with DMC3 is when action director Yûji Shimomura booted it up to show him his previous work as a form of resume. A lot the other similarities that DMC4 and Bayo share aren't all that intentional, specially any that might seem references to the game. Except for a few other games the only references in Bayo are from the staff's previous works which means DMC1 only.

Speaking of which, I always bring this up but get a lot aggressive disagreements about is the fact the original DMC, the one Kamiya directed, has more in common with RE than it does with Bayonetta when it comes to the narratives they present, specially the Remake. Bayonetta might have more in common with DMC3+4 but it's connection to the series comes from DMC1 and it doesn't operate like 3+4 do, it's more sincere, less impossible. The reality is that Bayonetta's world operates on a similar wavelength as Okami and VJ much more than it does any DMC.

Gel

Premium
Speaking of which, I always bring this up but get a lot aggressive disagreements about is the fact the original DMC, the one Kamiya directed, has more in common with RE than it does with Bayonetta when it comes to the narratives they present, specially the Remake
Well, this is true: DMC1 is more serious, while Bayo is more, er... silly(?). Definitively Mikami was a key piece for DMC1 concept, as much as Kamiya was still fresh of working in other RE.
Bayonetta might have more in common with DMC3+4
I was talking about the kind of scenery, it's concept of a god( in this case Jubileus) , how the mages remind me the Order and so on.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Well I believe Kamiya said awhile back that Dante's mom was a witch and Enzo is a character that both appears in the novels/manga and a main character in Bayo. So people can make the connection of them being in the same universe and I like the idea it has crazy possibilities.

Gel

Premium
Hmm, the only time I saw Eva associated with the "witch" word was in Bayo, but there everyone was a witch ( such as Odete, Cleopatra, etc), while DMC universe gives her as a simple human ( she is associated with "heaven", light...)Angelina, Kyrie (and probably Vergil's woman) are tribute to her. If she was a witch, she couldn't be associated to light.Other thing is that twins mom was very weak, while witch Eva was strong at the point of being called historical; same with the fact in DMC world all official documents say Sparda first fought Mundus and only later met Eva, while Bayo says it was Eva who fought demons with Sparda's power. They are not the same person.

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
Personally, i do believe they exist in the same world. Its just that, like devil may cry's timeline as a whole. The lore is just all over the place and the dev's don't really care. Im sure if Kamiya had made DMC 3 or 4 he would have thrown in references from his other games just for the fun of it. That's just the way his games are. Hell, Dante already appeared in VJ. If Kamiya makes DMC5 a reference to Bayonetta(or a Bayonetta character as a whole) will be there.

tweese

considering I've read a lot of fics revolving around Vergil x Bayonetta. I don't mind it being canon

berto

I Saw the Devil

Ugh... I did't feel like making another thread about it and I don't think I'll be watching it.

Top Bottom