• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Assassin's Creed 3 Art Director Says "Asian or South American setting"

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
header.jpg

Yesterday Ubisoft opened a small Assassin's Creed art exhibition for invited guests from the arts and media in Munich, Germany. When questioned about the possible setting for Assassin's Creed III, the artistic director Mohamed Gambouz said "Asian or South American".

The traveling art exhibition has previously stopped at Paris and Montreal to show off artwork previously not seen by the public for all previous three Assassin's Creed games. Only 50 guests were invited yesterday, and one journalist who attended managed to sit down with the artistic director for Assassin's Creed III, Mohammed Gambouz.

After a brief talk about the exhibition, the interview wrapped up by looking towards Assassin's Creed III. The question that was asked was, "What can you say about Assassin's Creed 3? Which setting are you thinking about now, when you think about AC3?"

His answer was the following:

Well, I personally would do something completely new. Maybe something in an Asian or South American setting, at least nothing that we have already made. But in the end it's not my decision. But you can be sure that we read the reactions of our customers in forums, blogs and Facebook and Twitter very closely and also seriously talk through the suggestions from our players from time to time. In the next few months you will truly experience more details.
The above quote suggests that the team are yet to decide on the setting of the next installment of the Assassin's Creed series, that or he has a good poker face.

There are plenty of historical revolutions in both of these regions. Asia has long been talked about by fans, but what about South America? Most of the colonies of southern South America, such as Chile, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay fought their wars of independence against the Spanish forces. This could certainly be a very cool setting, and one that would give Assassin's Creed 3 a very different feel.

As a bonus, here's a few examples from the exhibition:

l_wk21IG_large.jpg

l_7u4C01_large.jpg

Source: http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/c...tor_says_asian_or_south_american_setting.html

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I wonder what they will decide on. Seems like it will be hard to top a point in history as vibrant, historically significant, beautiful and interesting as the Italian Renaissance. They need to make sure that in order to match and have any chance of topping 2 in all aspects and not just remake 1 with 2's gameplay they need to pick a time that had everything 2 had.

If they can pull it off fair play to them because at this point it feels like the most interesting time to set an AC game in has been and gone.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
World War II Germany would be an ok setting.

Hitler being a Templar and all. :lol:

Darth Angelo

World War II Germany would be an ok setting.

Hitler being a Templar and all. :lol:

Thats true but in comparison to something like the Renaissance the colour scheme and general theme would just feel so bland and depressing don't you think? No matter what bad things were happening in AC2 they always seemed to be masked in this vibrant colour, life and culture. You walked the streets and it felt like an exiting time to be alive, I definitely wouldn't want to have been alive in the middle of either of the world wars lol.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Thats true but in comparison to something like the Renaissance the colour scheme and general theme would just feel so bland and depressing don't you think? No matter what bad things were happening in AC2 they always seemed to be masked in this vibrant colour, life and culture. You walked the streets and it felt like an exiting time to be alive, I definitely wouldn't want to have been alive in the middle of either of the world wars lol.
Or they could do the Meiji Period of Japan. Its after the Italian Renaissance and its a turning point in Japan's history. During the Meiji Period (September 1868 through July 1912), Japan modernizes itself to compete with Western countries and replaces much of their old traditions for the sake of modernization. You could play as a former samurai who becomes an Assassin. Samurais in the Meiji Era lost their "rights" essentially. They could not carry their swords in public no more, nor could they execute commoners for disrespecting them. Also they abolished the samurai's rights of being the only armed force in Japan, replacing them with more Western-esque armies.

A descendant of Ezio...a man who, despite mixed heritage, became a high ranking samurai official. He lived to only serve his lord and country...however they betrayed them. Japan is slowing becoming manipulated by Templar influence. Its up to the descendant of Ezio to curb this influence, by joining the Assassins.

Nice eh?

Darth Angelo

Or they could do the Meiji Period of Japan. Its after the Italian Renaissance and its a turning point in Japan's history. During the Meiji Period (September 1868 through July 1912), Japan modernizes itself to compete with Western countries and replaces much of their old traditions for the sake of modernization. You could play as a former samurai who becomes an Assassin. Samurais in the Meiji Era lost their "rights" essentially. They could not carry their swords in public no more, nor could they execute commoners for disrespecting them. Also they abolished the samurai's rights of being the only armed force in Japan, replacing them with more Western-esque armies.

A descendant of Ezio...a man who, despite mixed heritage, became a high ranking samurai official. He lived to only serve his lord and country...however they betrayed them. Japan is slowing becoming manipulated by Templar influence. Its up to the descendant of Ezio to curb this influence, by joining the Assassins.

Nice eh?

Sounds perfect.

DeviRyuuD

Devilicious Devi
Nope, it has to be the French Revolution. There is nothing that significant in post 15th century in Japan/China, plus there can`t be Templars.

Darth Angelo

Nope, it has to be the French Revolution. There is nothing that significant in post 15th century in Japan/China, plus there can`t be Templars.

Why not? The whole idea of Assassins Creed's Templars was that not only did they not all die out in 1307 and that they bacame a worldwide orginization à la the Illuminati which is connected to Freemasonry and given the fact that both Freemasonry was said to have been started by underground Templar Knights and that according to what I have read (still researching it) the Meiji period was heavily influenced by Great Britain and the United States which are basicly where Freemasonry (the Templars) comes from.

It fits like a glove.
- The Assassins are about as Japanese as it gets in terms of skills with a blade and stealth.
- Ezio knew about Japan before it was discovered by the west and it would be a logical place for his descendants to hide from the Templar order and build up a secret society of Assassins for the future.
- Sixteen's symbols contain a Pagoda and the name of a Japanese island if I remember right so something significant happened in asia obviously.
- Something that keeps the series so fresh is that it gives an insight into the lives of various different cultures, asia is a logical direction for the series to take and will be nothing like the world in 1 or 2.

DeviRyuuD

Devilicious Devi
Hmm, now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. I`m dumb prolly.
Oh well, actually i wouldn`t be against the Eastern setting, actually i really like eastern cultures, but i`d still prefer the French revolution.
I guess you can somewhat tell from the last picture;
l_7u4C01_large.jpg

That looks pretty much ninja to me.

Darth Angelo

Hmm, now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. I`m dumb prolly.
Oh well, actually i wouldn`t be against the Eastern setting, actually i really like eastern cultures, but i`d still prefer the French revolution.

It would be a really good place to go I agree I can't see how they could possibly stop at 3 games they literally have the entire span of history to draw from and thread into the story. The series could go on for years and years if it wanted to.
A good thing about something like the French revolution is that they wouldn't have to stretch it out over as many years as 2. I understand why they did it but the way they spread the story so thin over the years that just seemed to rush by like they were weeks kinda bothered me.

Darth Angelo

My question is...Who says that these ancestors have to come in chronological order?

I think for the time being it keeps the series from getting too confusing especially for newcomers with Desmond going back in time the player doesn't need the stories jumping back and forth through time to the point where we don't know know what the hell is going on and what order they go in. I think if they finish Desmonds story off in 3 they can feel a bit more comfortable to jump around to whenever they want with a new subject like 16 before he went crazy.

Top Bottom