• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone else think that they should make a film for devil may cry

kelvin

i think they should make a film for devil may cry because it would be really cool and i think a lot of people would watch it.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
the old one think it would be better with the old charecters

Ahhh but then you run the risk of losing and making the DmC reboot fanbase angry i mean a devil may cry move based off of dmc3 would be great but devil may cry fans are split some are behind dmc1 some are behind dmc2 some will die for dmc3 some will forever be dmc4 and some will always be the reboot how do you pick which game to base a movie off of without losing multiple fanbases? and then there is the problem of who to cast as the actors? how close to the game do you follow? how gorey and bloody do you make it? how long do you make the movie? what scenes do you cut out? and so on and so forth

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
''On February 28, 2011, it was announced that Screen Gems, the company responsible for making Capcom video game series Resident Evil into a film series, had purchased feature film rights to the Devil May Cry series. It has been stated that Kyle Ward will be writing the script for the film. It has also been confirmed by Capcom at E3, that the film will be based on the new game, DmC: Devil May Cry, though Dante's look will stay more true to his classic self. The film is being positioned as an origin story for Dante.''

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_May_Cry#Other_media

To me, this is fairly bad news, considering I don't really enjoy DmC's world. I think the movie might become a really bad 'illuminati' or 1984 type of story, with Mundus literally watching society through tv screens like in DmC. I don't find it original at all. They have the chance of making it revolve around actual badass demons and angels, and I hope they won't forget that. I hope it's not going to be a hackneyed 'critique on modern society'.

But then, all they said is that it's based on DmC, so maybe the world will look better, and maybe the characters will be less obnoxious, and hopefully there won't be that many clichés.

Last edited:

kelvin

yer gess your both right but you never know it might turn out well because ideas do tend to change so it might turn in to something great but thats a big might

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Ahhh but then you run the risk of losing and making the DmC reboot fanbase angry i mean a devil may cry move based off of dmc3 would be great but devil may cry fans are split some are behind dmc1 some are behind dmc2 some will die for dmc3 some will forever be dmc4 and some will always be the reboot how do you pick which game to base a movie off of without losing multiple fanbases?

There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid losing fans or making them angry. If the movie's going to be mainly about DmC, I expect most people will be fairly ticked off. Some people will also be miffed if it's based on the DMC series. Out of those two choices, I'd still go with DMC because of a smaller amount of backlash - specifically with a DMC4/DMC1 type of Dante, since most people seem to think DMC1 Dante is the least annoying.

EDIT: a mix between DmC and the DMC series would be the best solution, but then, people would still get angry. Anyway, it's a movie - it has no effect on the games, and it can be whatever its makers decide it to be.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
yer gess your both right but you never know it might turn out well because ideas do tend to change so it might turn in to something great but thats a big might

Its a big risk even this movie is a big risk but if it pays off the devil may cry franchise will explode depending on how well it does and that pretty much gauruntee's another dmc game

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid losing fans or making them angry. If the movie's going to be mainly about DmC, I expect most people will be fairly ticked off. Some people will also be miffed if it's based on the DMC series. Out of those two choices, I'd still go with DMC because of a smaller amount of backlash.

Agreed but then you have the probelm of which DMC game to movie after the obivious choice is three but then they will have to live up to the game and lord help them if they drop a scene we see as fundamental

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
well there has been a devil may cry movie announced for a while but its in development hell.

i think at e3 2011, they announced they are doing one for the reboot and its written by kyle ward(hitman).

DmC has the slight advantage since it feels like it was written with a film in mind(thats not a good thing) and you could just reuse the VAs as the actors so its easy casting.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Agreed but then you have the probelm of which DMC game to movie after the obivious choice is three but then they will have to live up to the game and lord help them if they drop a scene we see as fundamental

Yeah, it's tough. As I said in my edit, maybe it would be best to have a mix between DmC and the DMC games. They can mix it up however they want. Put Mundus in there, or just Vergil. Or both. I'd hope the writing and characters would be better than in DmC, though. I hope they avoid making the movie (or movies) so canonically contradictory.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Yeah, it's tough. As I said in my edit, maybe it would be best to have a mix between DmC and the DMC games. They can mix it up however they want. Put Mundus in there, or just Vergil. Or both. I'd hope the writing and characters would be better than in DmC, though. I hope they avoid making the movie (or movies) so canonically contradictory.

Agreed either way this is a gamble on a tight rope one wrong move could really hurt the series and lost more fanbase which is something they cant really afford atm

Caiden

I am not so sure about this. There are not many video game/anime series that were well adapted into live action film. I am not saying it can't be done but most of time it doesn't work so well. I think they would be better off doing an all CG movie like the Resident Evil CG movies.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
They were going to make a film (search the forums, possibly the general discussion section), there's plenty about it there (mostly just 'what ifs' but it was confirmed).

As much as I think a great film is possible out of the DmC game, I'd say there is a 90% probability that this won't be it, because of the production company behind it, screen gems, ewww. To be honest, the only game movie that has a chance of being legitimately good is World of Warcraft, and that's because they got Duncan Jones to direct, the guy who made Moon and Source Code, two seriously kick ass films.

Last edited:

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It'll be like Dragonball Evolution.

no_o_743331.gif

Caiden

It'll be like Dragonball Evolution.

That monstrosity was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of a live action DMC movie. Honestly with the the kind of crazy moves Dante pulls off and all the demons he fights, like half the movie is just going to be CG. I never really understood the desire some people have to see things in live action. Live action movies based on games just always look so wrong to me. They almost always get the main characters COMPLETELY wrong. I hated the prince in the Prince of Persia movie. Just hire the voice actors and make it an all CG movie. It is the best way to appeal to a fan base and not screw up the characters.

Again look at Dragonball Evolution. How can you ever hope to recreate those characters in live action. The design behind characters like Vegeta and Goku only make sense when drawn or animated inside of their own universe. Goku in real life would look completely ridiculous and if you change his design too much to make him fit in, then no fan is going to want to see it.

Last edited:

This_IZ_Sparda!

hmmm naahhhhh, I wouldnt want to recommend a movie. I mean, let's face it Hollywood has great potential when it comes making kickass movies but because of time and budget constraints (as well audience impacts), they tend to screw it up. There were potentially good movies with apocalyptic supernatural elements ( DMC-esque) like Priest or Legion, which had a great chance of becoming a good movie, but ended up many audiences saying, "Meh...". (there's even another one coming out called I, Frankenstein) Making a DMC movie based on the classic or even the reboot will even further disappoint the fans, sorry to say. Unless by some miracle, producers and directors will come up with a way they wont screw up games-to-movies titles like Prince of Persia.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
A movie about Devil May Cry in geberal sounds sketchy. A movie about Devil May Cry BY SCREEN GEMS...yeeah no.

Plus the fact that its basedoff DmC puts me on edge. I actually LIKE DmC and I dont want hollywood to mess it up. It can do whatever it wants with the original series since there's more to mess up for hollywood.

Not like it can't be done, buuuuut if hollywood wants to mess up something, I'd rather they pick the most popular version as a cash cow.

Top Bottom