• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anime Live Action Adaptations - How would you go on about it?

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
See here you're thinking i'm going to produce live-film adaptations for a majority audience that's unfamiliar with the source material.
I wouldn't be.

The film studio i'd run would produce live-film adaptations that targets the already existing fanbase.
It doesn't matter. If you're gonna make a Hollywood live-action adaptation of whatever slice of life, or shoujo anime, you'll have to deal with a lot of jokes and humor. Japanese jokes don't really translate well into an American audience. It can be done, but it won't look pretty.

A lot of anime can be adapted properly if you just get a good writer and director on board. When you do, great stuff like the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy and Edge of Tomorrow happen.
Edge of Tomorrow and Oldboy were pretty good, but they were loose adaptations. When it comes to good, faithful adaptations of popular anime, Rurouni Kenshin currently takes the top spot.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Edge of Tomorrow and Oldboy were pretty good, but they were loose adaptations. When it comes to good, faithful adaptations of popular anime, Rurouni Kenshin currently takes the top spot.
Oldboy is one of my favorite movies of all time.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'd probably pick animes that aren't too long because I don't want lose interest halfway through writing/directing/producing Naruto 7 (placeholder title).

I'm not interested in a page by page adaptations so it's probably best I stick to franchises that I really love. If I end up make big changes I wanna be able to convince people why it was a good idea.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@VampireWicked

I agree with what you mean but I was more interested in how to handle making bigger changes to the overall story of the Franchise rather than dialogue. Dialogue is important but its something that would change in any adaptation regardless of meduim or country of origin.

I was thinking more along on the lines of Durara!!!! because I wanted to create a new lead(s) to focus the movie on rather than try and cram the season into two hours so I want to bring in the writer to help keep the style intact.

Same thing with Cowboy bebop, rather than extend a case for an hour and a half or go through half a season in 2 hours I rather just create a new case for the Bebop crew to deal with.

Top Bottom