• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Theory for Dante's Powers

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I believe that Limbo runs on a psychological link it has with its inhabitants, so it would make sense that there are certain areas that a person can access mentally while being in a totally separate place.

Could be, especially since we've seen demons themselves reconfigure a localized space in Limbo to something they like. Perhaps Dante's "purgatory" is him subtly making up a world he's inherently comfortable with.

Railazel

Could be, especially since we've seen demons themselves reconfigure a localized space in Limbo to something they like. Perhaps Dante's "purgatory" is him subtly making up a world he's inherently comfortable with.

I wouldn't say so. I'm going to assume that the Chronicles of Vergil were correct in saying it's a "purified" city, so I don't think Dante's making up a world for himself. Rather, I think there's a mental connection between him and something else in the city that allows him to go there.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
But that doesn't quite explain why he acquires inherent abilities from the place, chief among them his Devil Trigger - it's locked within him, not somewhere else. It's the same with his memories, which he also gets from that space.

Railazel

But that doesn't quite explain why he acquires inherent abilities from the place, chief among them his Devil Trigger - it's locked within him, not somewhere else. It's the same with his memories, which he also gets from that space.

It would be best to recall that he's not physically there himself. His mind is taken to another place while he remains at whatever location he is currently at.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
But that still doesn't seem right, to say that he's mentally checking out and boopin' around metaphsyically in another part of Limbo when he's doing things that unlock things that are within him.

Are you trying to say that he's essentially astral projecting himself to the Lost City? Because that still comes back to the same point - why would he need to go to any different place, physically or metaphysically, when he's unlocking something from within?

Railazel

But that still doesn't seem right, to say that he's mentally checking out and boopin' around metaphsyically in another part of Limbo when he's doing things that unlock things that are within him.

Are you trying to say that he's essentially astral projecting himself to the Lost City? Because that still comes back to the same point - why would he need to go to any different place, physically or metaphysically, when he's unlocking something from within?

Ask Ninja Theory. I assumed the Lost City was a place in Dante's mind until it was stated otherwise in the comic book. However, it is not far- fetched that Dante got his DT by going to another place. In fact, It would fit in with the common trope of the hero gaining his powers by training in a foreign land or secret place.

Meier

Oh, of course, I know that. Think of it as me explaining things in terms of our universe's physics and that there's no real need for it to have it's own rules. Personally, it adds a bit more realism to it, you know? It makes things seem like they are possible.

Totally agree here. Afterall one of the points of the reboot was to ground the series more into our reality. So you're bound to see similarities with real world physics.

Nope, it would still apply, it's just a matter of saying that Limbo's physics are different from our's. So, for example, the Tyrant wouldn't be able to walk in our gravity but, if Limbo's gravity was lighter than our's, than it would be able walk, run, and even jump. This would also explain stuff like why the Stygians are able to balance with those weapons attached to their arm and why the Bathos and Pathos are able to fly with their wings that size.

Yeah I think you're on the money here as well. Basically other worlds and realms have their own constants in physics and behave according to those constants.

Well, now that I'm noticing this, I might as well just tell you that I said the same thing.

Railazel said:
it can be simply stated that Dante has control over physics while in Limbo, possibly due to his Devil heritage.

This is where I slightly disagree with you. I think that Dante just has power to travel between the dimensions, not control the physics of any particular one. You do see him manipulating gravity, but for all we know he could be merging dimensions while he uses DT. What would happen if two opposing physics systems come into contact? Maybe it manipulates time and space to throw things into a flux. When the demons land on ground perhaps they adjust to the new combined physics rules and are able to handle themselves until knocked into the air and off balance again. Well, that's my pet theory anyway.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Dante's ability to traverse dimensions is a trait of Nephilim, but him using his Devil Trigger while in Limbo is him literally exerting control over Malice, wresting it from Limbo itself for his own purpose. It works well on lesser demons, but has diminished effects on demons the stronger they are - Tyrants and Butchers will move as normal if they touch the ground, and Witches and Dreamrunners are barely effected. Bosses suffer little consequence as well.

That's why when Dante first uses his Devil Trigger, you see a black spout of Malice pop enemies into the air - he's using his demon side (from being half-demon) to temporarily take over Limbo.

Blade8513

Some really good points here but everybody is thinking about it too much, its a video game, I don't think it is intended to be scientifically accurate.

Railazel

Some really good points here but everybody is thinking about it too much, its a video game, I don't think it is intended to be scientifically accurate.

You would be amazed at how that works. Comics weren't intended to be scientifically accurate but there's a whole science for the DC and Marvel universes. It's not really thinking about it too much, it's just we (or at least I) see an order in it and are just making deductions on what's being seen.

This is where I slightly disagree with you. I think that Dante just has power to travel between the dimensions, not control the physics of any particular one. You do see him manipulating gravity, but for all we know he could be merging dimensions while he uses DT. What would happen if two opposing physics systems come into contact? Maybe it manipulates time and space to throw things into a flux. When the demons land on ground perhaps they adjust to the new combined physics rules and are able to handle themselves until knocked into the air and off balance again. Well, that's my pet theory anyway.

That's okay but a theory has to be measurable to some degree and your pet theory touches on theoretical physics which aren't measurable by modern means. Although, if I remember correctly, your theory is the canonical explanation, however I don't remember where I saw it.

Dante's ability to traverse dimensions is a trait of Nephilim, but him using his Devil Trigger while in Limbo is him literally exerting control over Malice, wresting it from Limbo itself for his own purpose. It works well on lesser demons, but has diminished effects on demons the stronger they are - Tyrants and Butchers will move as normal if they touch the ground, and Witches and Dreamrunners are barely effected. Bosses suffer little consequence as well.

That's why when Dante first uses his Devil Trigger, you see a black spout of Malice pop enemies into the air - he's using his demon side (from being half-demon) to temporarily take over Limbo.

I'll stick with this explanation since that seems to be a more "proper" and simpler theory.

Top Bottom