• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Kind Word on The Fanbase

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
It's crazy how opinions change isn't it? Just a few years ago this Fanbase was ready to burn DmC at the stake because they believed it had killed the franchise. But now that we have DMC5 everyone has pretty much began to think of the game as one of little concequence. If not that then at the very least there isn't as much hate for it or its characters. It's began to get treated much like how the ultimate universe was treated to the main marvel comics. This brings me to Nero, boy was he hated. But when the reboot came along people didn't care if Nero was the main character if the original series came back. I even saw threads and forums speculating what ninja theories take on him would be. I was just wondering you guys' thoughts on this and if you noticed it at all.

DarkSlayerVergil

It's crazy how opinions change isn't it? Just a few years ago this Fanbase was ready to burn DmC at the stake because they believed it had killed the franchise. But now that we have DMC5 everyone has pretty much began to think of the game as one of little concequence. If not that then at the very least there isn't as much hate for it or its characters. It's began to get treated much like how the ultimate universe was treated to the main marvel comics. This brings me to Nero, boy was he hated. But when the reboot came along people didn't care if Nero was the main character if the original series came back. I even saw threads and forums speculating what ninja theories take on him would be. I was just wondering you guys' thoughts on this and if you noticed it at all.
Ironically I'm slowly falling in love with the Ultimate Marvel-verse due to how much I'm enjoying Ultimate Spiderman but yes I agree that most of the love for 5 at first came from the fact that it was the original franchise. But now with the whole microtransactions debacle it seems many are cancelling thier preorders and out right deciding not to even consider buying the game which imho is really silly since it feels really over-blown due to people like Jim Sterling and Angry-Joe.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
People are complicated and have a wide variety of opinions on things. Sometimes they change sometimes they don't.

I'm pretty sure there is someone online still whining about mgs2.

I think the reboot made people appreciate 4 more but 5 didn't really improve DmC's reception.

Last edited:

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Ironically I'm slowly falling in love with the Ultimate Marvel-verse due to how much I'm enjoying Ultimate Spiderman but yes I agree that most of the love for 5 at first came from the fact that it was the original franchise. But now with the whole microtransactions debacle it seems many are cancelling thier preorders and out right deciding not to even consider buying the game which imho is really silly since it feels really over-blown due to people like Jim Sterling and Angry-Joe.
I don't see any problem with the option to buy red orbs, it was handled well in four. The only problem I see with buying currency is in most games with the option it is virtually impossible to earn enough regularly to buy anything. But with devil may cry being primarily a single player game I believe it will be something that will hardly be of any detriment to the games itself. I don't doubt they'll also soon reveal the option to buy the different unlockable costumes earlier such as super Dante ect. If they are in the game that is

Meg

For me it was that I didn't think DmC was that good. It wasn't bad either, just meh. But then I played the release on PS4, which is SO MUCH better than I can now say that I do overall like the game (still hate the story/characters but meh). As for Nero, I always liked him. :laugh:

But yeah it is crazy to think about where things were at with this fanbase a few years ago compared to where we are now. I feel like we as a community have come a long way, and this forum is a great place to hang out. You guys are the best. :thumbsup:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I was one of the few who was sticking up for DmC when it first came out, which was solidified when DE came out and made it an even better experience. Heck I was just playing it through again this morning (Still gotta beat it on Gods Must Die mode). Now that I think about it, wasn't I one of the few people who went to bat for Nero back when 4 was still fairly fresh?

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
I always liked Nero and wished he was the central character throughout 4 (I think from both a narrative and gameplay standpoint it would have worked better).

I wasn't as big a fan of DmC at first because I didn't really like the marketing behind it or how Tameem seemed to belittle the fans of the original games but that whole ordeal was a cluster. When it came out I enjoyed just fine. I own it and I am glad it exists.

How will I feel about 5? Hopefully good!

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I saw DmC as closer to DC's new 52 initiative than Ultimate Marvel. Thats cause DC new 52 came out around the same time and most of the fans were adults when it came out so they were more critical of it. Just like what DmC went through.

Tbh i was excited for both DmC and DMC4 when they were first announced. I didn't mind the idea of a reboot nor a new character but Nero and DmC Dante were pretty disappointing.

Granted they were not as big a dissapointment as the anime. That show was just wasted potential.

DMCV looks fun though and i can't wait to play it.

V is probably the character I'm most interested in while Nero is the opposite. Im cool with how Dante is handled. Im indifferent to Lady and Trish but Nico rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe because Im from NYC but her southern accent annoys me?

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't see any problem with the option to buy red orbs, it was handled well in four. The only problem I see with buying currency is in most games with the option it is virtually impossible to earn enough regularly to buy anything. But with devil may cry being primarily a single player game I believe it will be something that will hardly be of any detriment to the games itself. I don't doubt they'll also soon reveal the option to buy the different unlockable costumes earlier such as super Dante ect. If they are in the game that is
The problem isn't choice, the problem is that people see it as an invasive mechanic, especially after how EA handled the Battlefront 2 microtransactions. It was pretty much in your face, and they were trying to encourage you to buy microtransactions to gain an upper hand. You want Darth Vader? 20 bucks please. You want Master Yoda? 30 bucks please. Players don't want DMC5 to be like: You want upgrade for Dante? 5 bucks for orbs, please.

That's the problem.

And, BTW: Even though the game is Single Player, there are rumors of a multiplayer portion.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
The problem isn't choice, the problem is that people see it as an invasive mechanic, especially after how EA handled the Battlefront 2 microtransactions. It was pretty much in your face, and they were trying to encourage you to buy microtransactions to gain an upper hand. You want Darth Vader? 20 bucks please. You want Master Yoda? 30 bucks please. Players don't want DMC5 to be like: You want upgrade for Dante? 5 bucks for orbs, please.

That's the problem.

And, BTW: Even though the game is Single Player, there are rumors of a multiplayer portion.
Yea but from what we've seen so far they aren't intrusive at all. The only thing that had a a little scared is the leaked weapon that I won't say for spoiler reasons. But its actually something that I wondered why they didn't do it in earlier games. That at it also doubles what you lost if kill someone with it so even then it still seems fair. The microtransactions don't seem to be any more harmful than in 4 although I am sad at the list of items like vital and devil stars

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Yea but from what we've seen so far they aren't intrusive at all. The only thing that had a a little scared is the leaked weapon that I won't say for spoiler reasons. But its actually something that I wondered why they didn't do it in earlier games. That at it also doubles what you lost if kill someone with it so even then it still seems fair. The microtransactions don't seem to be any more harmful than in 4 although I am sad at the list of items like vital and devil stars
I don't remember having to buy orbs with real money. I had to work for it. These rumors are saying that we can buy orbs with real money to buy in-game items via in-game currency.

In-game currency being those orbs we earn for doing various things in the game.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I don't remember having to buy orbs with real money. I had to work for it. These rumors are saying that we can buy orbs with real money to buy in-game items via in-game currency.

Yea that option was in 4SE and DmC you could even buy the super costumes early if you wanted

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark

Also there aren't any more consumable items, just move upgrades, blue and yellow orbs, and reviving are pretty much the only things orbs are uses for so that cuts back alot any. That and if we get orbs at a reasonable rate I doubt anyone will ever feel like Capcom is trying to strong arm them into NEEDING to pay actually money for orbs

Top Bottom