• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Devil May Cry Story

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The subtitle for Rogue One is "a Star Wars story" and one of the members of the Story Group which described their role as figuring out what a Star Wars story actually is.

So that got me thinking on what a DMC story actually is.

So im asking what stories can you tell with DMC and what stories you couldn't or shouldnt tell with DMC?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@DantetheSonofSparda
I was asking more about subject matter like could DMC do a love story? Tackle race and other sensitive issues? What themes etc.. than a specific plot.

But what should they keep in mind if they tackle the legend of Sparda :cool:?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
rebellion, a devil may cry story..

ofc it could have a love story, sparda and eva seems like an epic one, a sad ending one, epic..

it could also tackle race, the human and demon race, lol..

i don't know how to place a sensitive issue in a fantasy fiction like this, honestly..

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
With enough creativity I think any setting can be used to tell any story. There is no reason Devil May Cry could not tackle deeper issues than killing demons. DmC attempted to do this, after all.

The original trilogy already has some deeper themes if you are willing to dig for them. Duty, family, free will, love, empathy.... If the games have a single message it's that anyone has the capacity to be a good and wonderful person regardless of where they come from. It's sort of a shmaltzy message for a this particular series but I like it, it adds to the charm for me, heh.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I agree with RadiantWolf, the sky is the limit when tackling themes in games. I remember when the initial trailer dropped for DmC and several people were wondering if it was tackling Mental Disorders as a theme because of Dante being in an asylum and the trippy nature of limbo.

As for DMC, I'm sure you could easily make the whole allegory of "Forbidden Love between Humans and Demons" for interracial couples which traditionally faced oppression.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It can be done, but not in Capcom's hands. If Telltale got their hands on it, they could do wonders with the story.

RadiantWolf

A Telltale graphic adventure type thing set in the original series mythos would be pretty spectacular. Dante would have to actually be a detective for once (if he were indeed the playable character, anyway).

I'd like to just see a Devil May Cry with a decent plot and nuanced characterization. The first one, bless its heart, it did its best to flesh Dante out into more than just a cartoon but, mercy me, that dialogue...

Just hire a writer, Capcom.

Or me. Hire me. I'll do it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If Telltale got their hands on it, they could do wonders with the story.

The day Devil May Cry will be reduced to an all-story-no-gameplay interactive movie will be a sad day.

As for the themes, yeah, you can tackle pretty much anything you want I guess, but the underlining theme of demons being capable of great love and humans of great evil should remain. That's what the series' title stands for after all.

When it comes to the characters, DMC1 and 3 were the only ones to give Dante any, so some more would be appreciated. And if they could go back to the "show, don't tell" kind of characterization of villains they had in 3 (for the most part) as well. It's a videogame after all, probably the best medium to do that.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I agree with Foxtrot94, I wouldn't be up for a Telltale DMC game.

All the series needs is a good writer.

RadiantWolf

I'd thought that when a Telltale DMC was mentioned it'd be like Tales from the Borderlands. That is, something set in the universe but separate from the games proper (which, in Borderlands's case, are shooters). This I could enjoy.

If it were a replacement for the hack-'n-slash games I would NOT want that. I want a good story but Devil May Cry's always thrown a lot of identity into its gameplay and it is extremely important that remains intact for the core franchise.

What is frustrating is Capcom does have writers I think, but is unwilling to actually let them produce anything of real substance. Whenever I look at artbooks or read interviews or developer notes I am often intrigued by what the original story for a game was supposed to be and feel disappointed. This is ESPECIALLY true of DMC4 which just seems like it ran out of money halfway through development. Dante certainly changed his design drastically after the initial reveal, too, so I have to wonder how many iterations were done exactly.

Viper

Premium
The day Devil May Cry will be reduced to an all-story-no-gameplay interactive movie will be a sad day.
The day Devil May Cry was reduced to an all-story-no-gameplay movie had already come and gone, we just called it the anime. And before that it was the light novels. None of that stopped the action game from being made, if noting else it kept the hype alive.
A side game like @RadiantWolf meant is what I'd definitely be up for.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
A Telltale side story for DMC, that's a fair compromise. The only question is what would it be about? The main games have been so focused on the Sons of Sparda that there hasn't been a lot of lore outside of Sparda.

Capcom does indeed have several good writers. Just look to the creator of Ace Attorney for example. I'm sure either they or an outside group of writers like Telltale could come up with something if Capcom let them.

Viper

Premium
A Telltale side story for DMC, that's a fair compromise. The only question is what would it be about? The main games have been so focused on the Sons of Sparda that there hasn't been a lot of lore outside of Sparda.

Capcom does indeed have several good writers. Just look to the creator of Ace Attorney for example. I'm sure either they or an outside group of writers like Telltale could come up with something if Capcom let them.
There has been lore outside Sparda that should provide enough ideas. There is Argosax, Abigail and the Lowell family, the war for the throne in demon world, several kingdoms in said demon world; and if nothing else they can just come up with something new.

RadiantWolf

It could be about Sparda himself, or something about the Order of the Sword.

It could take place after DMC 2 and be about Lucia trying run the Devil May Cry.

It could even still be about the sons of Sparda and involve Dante solving a demonic case without running and gunning his way through it (he IS supposed to be a detective after all).

Or it could be about new characters in this universe in a new location. Maybe you play as the people who hire Dante and while he's hacking things to shreds you're trying to help him by solving strange supernatural puzzles in an Alone in the Dark type way.

I personally would kinda like to see the second option and play as Lucia in a post DMC2 world, maybe with her attempting to take over some of Dante's duties and not really knowing how. But I am odd.

Viper

Premium
I thought it was clear I meant within the gaming industry.
You were making it sound like straying beyond standard action game as we know it will spell doom for the series, but the truth is DMC has a weak story precisely because they focus on gameplay and a side game in genre that does the opposite would fix that.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
a side game in genre that does the opposite would fix that.

An actual cinematographic production (whether it is another anime or a movie), canon, would also fix that. I don't know why a game is so sorely requested. If the focus is to be the story, then turn to a more appropriate medium, where you can actually give all your attention to it.

RadiantWolf

Gameplay can reinforce narrative, too. A slower paced game examining the DMC universe in slightly more detail would be interesting. I'd also love a second season of the anime (only, you know, better) but a game is just a different sort of experience, that's all.

Not saying I'd petition Capcom for one but if they made it, I'd buy it.

Viper

Premium
An actual cinematographic production (whether it is another anime or a movie), canon, would also fix that. I don't know why a game is so sorely requested. If the focus is to be the story, then turn to a more appropriate medium, where you can actually give all your attention to it.
Yes, anime would be nice. Movie not so much, they don't look so good and are met with lots of backlash. I would be okay with a book, but those rarely get out of Japan these days.
The reason why people here first think of interactive movie style of game is because we are gamers. Games, even those with minimum input, are still tons more engaging than a standard movie.
Btw, there is no "appropriate medium", there is just medium and how well it's done.

Top Bottom