• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A better look at Metacritic's user score

Meg

Okay, so I was poking around Metacritic today for lols and I noticed that the average user score for DmC is...um...yeah. :blink: I then lurked around this little site because I was bored and found that many a people were annoyed with the user score average. While just about every game ever has its score skewed by biased fan/haters, some get it worse than others. Like DmC. SO! :D Since word of mouth and customer reviews are fine and dandy, I did some math and came up with a more accurate user score. Here it is:

PS3 Version: 4.5/10 out of 54 "legitimate" reviews.

I then went on Amazon and found this:

PS3/360 Combined: 1.55/5 out of 17 "legitimate" reviews.

:blink: Oh wow. I was expecting a 6.2 or something. Woooow. Well *ahem* here's how I did it.

- I did not count a single score of 0.
- The review had to be of substantial length and/or address in an unfanboyish/hater way, multiple aspects of the game. For instances, reviews that just said things like: "New Dante is gross. 1/10" were omitted. However, reviews that addressed gameplay, story, writing quality, whatever, were included. OR! If the review only focused on one part, but was well written and fair, then it got included.

Now what I consider a "substantial" review is just my opinion, so take my findings with a grain of salt. In fact, do your own math and see what you get. :D And no, I did not throughly read each review. Instead I skimmed each one enough to see if I could include it.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
That's not that surprising, I typically dont bother listening to user reviews for video games, too much passion to get objective scores. Last time I trusted user reviews I ended up buying Infinite Undiscovery.....

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
It's a shame that mindless bitching extends to Amazon, too. I thought that site filtered that kind of thing out. That won't be good for sales at all.

KaizenShio

The user there are doing a good moderating the Hateful comments I just checked and I only see a couple hateful comments others are pretty much they like it or they dont and give reasons

Joypad

Metacritic's weakness is the assumption that "ignorance is as equal as knowledge". Given that I can log and give 0 to a game I do not own there's no way to tell that a person gave a honest impression or expressed his prejudiced hate.

Lunar Legend

first off infinite undiscovery is a good game. secondly

those metacritic scores are atrocious and im seeing way to often the completely out of context lines of " main character shoots pregnant woman in the stomach then gloats about it to father"

Dante47

Meg! Your alive!
I haven't really read any Metacritic reviews. I'm still trying to avert spoilers.
But I agree with your philosophy, Meg. It's not exactly mature to curse and rave on something.
:blink: Oh wow. I was expecting a 6.2 or something. Woooow.
That's a rather specific percentage...
Anyway, I was actually expecting much worse.
Seeing so many of the comments on YouTube and other forums, it amazes me it got as high as it did in terms of "legitimate" scores. To each his own, I guess.
Good thread, Meg. Now, I don't actually have to sift through aimless and ignorant rage to find a true ranking.
I don't care what anyone says, I am having a blast with DmC! One of the best hack n slashes I've ever played. :)
Don't rub it in...

Reactions: Meg

rupok93

I haven't gotten the game yet but from what I hear I can't wait. As for this post you forgot to count one category which is the people who watch lets plays.

There are many people that seem "legitimate" but are actually just lets play watchers who know the story and base it watching the game or thoughts from the commentator. These people are had to filter because they seem legit sometimes. Also triple A titles these days DO NOT get anything less than a 5. If someone gave it a less then 5 thats an illegitimate review. These days a 5 is reserved for the atrocious games while 7 is average and 8-10 are excellent.

KaizenShio

I kinda just want to throw 10s in metacritic for the reviews user section Oh well........ I believe 5 and below are for the most uncomplete games ever Like sonic 06 like a game is just unplayable not for the reasons that everyone is giving on metacritic...." THE GAME IS NO WHERE NEAR THE PAST INCARNATIONS STAY AWAY FROM THIS POS" is not a proper way to justify a 0

Top Bottom