• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

‘Bayonetta’ director explains why he does not work on sequels

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
As long as he keeps those badass games coming, all the more power to the man.
It's good that he keeps making crazy over the top new IPs while P* continue the franchises faithfully.
Yeah it would have been good if he worked on DMC2, but then that could have killed the possibility of the all mighty DMC3 being made.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I can understand that, but to be honest, to me it comes across as ''I want to make as many games as possible, get as much money as possible, while leaving others in charge of making a coherent series out of it'. I usually really enjoy the games he makes, but if he just leaves those gems to other people, chances are we'll get inferior products. I'd rather take quality over quantity.

''Yeah it would have been good if he worked on DMC2, but then that could have killed the possibility of the all mighty DMC3 being made.''

If he had worked on DMC2, we might not have gotten this whole mess of the DMC games needing to be rebooted. Probably no DMC4 (at least not the one we know), and no DmC. If he continued with DMC2, chances are he'd have made DMC3 as well. And who knows how good it could've been. It could've been a continuation of the story since DMC2. No need for a reboot, no different Dante in terms of personality each game, etc etc.

Last edited:

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Ah you know what I really respect that mind state he has sometimes. Personally I feel that many amazing gems out there are perfect without sequels. Sometimes making a one time rarity, is the better that bastardizing your initial product until people realize just how uninspired you' ve become.

IncarnatedDemon

He does want to work on sequels. He wanted to be there for dmc2, but it's just his thoughts on what he thinks his role is as a developer.

Ah you know what I really respect that mind state he has sometimes. Personally I feel that many amazing gems out there are perfect without sequels. Sometimes making a one time rarity, is the better that bastardizing your initial product until people realize just how uninspired you' ve become.
Amen brotha

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
That's rather understandable. I guess even an asshole can make sense.

Sequels to great games will often be overshadowed by the standards the first one set.

The only game that doesn't seem to do this from what I've seen is from Arkham asylum to Arkham city. However Arkham origins is an example of the next stage not being the best stage.

IncarnatedDemon

No...sequels don't get overshadowed by the first game.
First game is foundation. You flesh out the game, and as result you may fail in areas.

The second game is the one that will deal with the issues first game encountered. Keep whats good and throw away whats not.

The third game is last one and is aimed at ironing out the small issues and maybe improving the graphics.
So hell no...
And the 4th game...is most likely MILKING.

You may not think about it, but a game is a professional project with constraints and a budget. Even if you know there are flaws in the game that needs to be adressed, you have to make compromisses.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I can get behind that kind of mindset.

Now explain why you're such a pr!ck.

As much as I love DMC, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami, I wouldn't mind punching this dude in the face.
This seems so aggressive. Why the hostility? Is it the 'f*ck off' comment? Is that really all it takes? Not saying it was ok but there are worse people out there with much more a$$hole history than this guy and they seem to get such leniency.

Anyway, this seems contradicting. Kamiya has mentioned on more than one occasion his displeasure at never working on one of his own sequels and how once someone else has added to it he feels it's not longer his.

IncarnatedDemon

^ Kamiya said he feels that it's his role to set the foundation for a serie considering the position he is in.
There is no contradiction, he would like to make a sequel, and he expressed disappointment when he found out he was not part of dmc2 project.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Well, it's not all surprising if he contradicts himself over and over.That story about doing DMC2 without his acknowledgment seems not be completely true or so I heard. When he was admitted in Capcom he was warned 80% of all Capcom's games would get sequels.Dante in DMC2 was inspired on a "future Dante" he( or even his team had conceived).He was informed DMC would probably get a sequel and he was against it.He was invited and rejected it. Later ( it seems) he gave opinions and some tips about what to do in DMC2.He had a participation on DMC3, even if discreet. Even the guys who did DMC4 were close friends to Kamiya and surely asked tips from him.Yes, he only did DMC1 personally( but Mikami's influence was heavy on him), but sure he influenced the later DMC too.
The proof of him doesn't like to do sequels is the fact of giving Bayonetta, his dream , to other companion to work on it, while he gives tips to his mate, just like in DMC.He is always caught contradicting himself for whatever reason.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Right now I have not that with me, but I can find it for you.

EDIT:

http://www.1up.com/features/the-kamiya-touch?pager.offset=3

Here he explains he doesn't like to give his babies to others.And he already made a sequel and it was VJ2 and, according to some, it had horrid sales.So, instead of doing his sequels, he gives it to others, while giving some tips to others.He already had a terrible experience with RE2, which he almost ruined, according to himself.

Here it confirms his habit of not doing sequels:
http://www.destructoid.com/hideki-kamiya-nothing-wrong-with-bayonetta-2--161214.phtml.

Unrelated but maybe there wouldn't be a Bayonetta3:
http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/08/30/kamiya-doesnt-really-see-bayonetta-3-happening

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
^ Kamiya said he feels that it's his role to set the foundation for a serie considering the position he is in.
There is no contradiction, he would like to make a sequel, and he expressed disappointment when he found out he was not part of dmc2 project.
Ok. I think I understand what you're saying. He is disapointed that he didn't work on DMC2 but at the same time some good came of it.

IncarnatedDemon

Ok. I think I understand what you're saying. He is disapointed that he didn't work on DMC2 but at the same time some good came of it.
Not exactly. He was disappointed at not having chance to work on the sequel, but as time has past Hideki believes (even though he wants to work on sequels) that his role is to set the foundation for series.
A pioneer if you will.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
This seems so aggressive. Why the hostility? Is it the 'f*ck off' comment? Is that really all it takes? Not saying it was ok but there are worse people out there with much more a$$hole history than this guy and they seem to get such leniency.

I've seen this pr!ck do more than enough and it's stupid how people will still worship the ground he walks on.

So what if it's aggressive, he's one of the people in the gaming industry I'd still punch in the face.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
That's rather understandable. I guess even an asshole can make sense.

Sequels to great games will often be overshadowed by the standards the first one set.

The only game that doesn't seem to do this from what I've seen is from Arkham asylum to Arkham city. However Arkham origins is an example of the next stage not being the best stage.
Arkham Origins reeks of rushed sequel to tail on the success of City and it's a shame. For a game that has some ideas and building blocks to be the best of the trilogy, the lack of polish, how it's so uninspired and safe, and overall being basically City all over again really drags it down.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I'd rather Kamiya stick to one shot wonders and special editions. Most of his sequels have been rather crappy. Mad world to Anarchy reign is a good example of that, but that doesn't really count as a sequel though.

Top Bottom