• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Wouldn't it be much BETTER if the costumes were unlockable by playing/finishing Bloody Palace?

Janoosen

Dark Slayer
Remember when you were able to unlock costumes for no additional cost by beating the game as you went through difficulties? Good times.

But in all seriousness, this is how they do it nowadays. They want to cash in as much as they possibly can and DLC is one of the best ways to do it because they know people will pay for additional content. If you want the costumes you'll have to cough up the cash. If I think a costume is worth it I don't mind paying a little extra for it.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
That would be truly awesome but to be honest people really need to stop complaining about dlc, granted, Capcom's dlc practices are worst than some companies, still not nearly as bad as Namco Bandai....

This is just the way it is and talking with your money is the only voice that matters. Dont buy it. If a lot of people just stop buying it Capcom(this applies to other game developers as well) will stop giving us crappy overpriced stuff simple as that. DLC is not going anywhere and nor should it, it's great when used properly and not trying to rip us off. Bottom line is people need to suck it up and get over the fact dlc exist.

wwinterj

Yes it would be better for the fans but from a business standpoint money is to be made so no. I don't like the idea but I also don't blame Capcom if folk are buying it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Would it be better to unlock costumes by beating Bloody Palace? Hell no.

Unlocking them from completing higher difficulties is the only place for it - otherwise you should be able to buy them with Orbs. I would have liked that a lot more :p

Triceranuke

I don't have a problem with it actually.
You get some costumes for beating the game and this is what DLC should be.
Stuff you don't need to enjoy the game.

If you want you can pay to get a cosmetic thing added to your game but if you don't have the money for it you don't really miss out on anything.

Roxas

I wouldn't mind having DLC costumes if the vanilla game had unlockable costumes. And I'm not talking about coatless, white haired or super Dante, but rather something like... Steampunk Dante, Sparda Dante, and so on. Just to give us some nice costume choices like DMC3, and then add more costumes as paid DLC later. No problemo with that.

AlchemistFromEden

Remember when you were able to unlock costumes for no additional cost by beating the game as you went through difficulties? Good times.

But in all seriousness, this is how they do it nowadays. They want to cash in as much as they possibly can and DLC is one of the best ways to do it because they know people will pay for additional content. If you want the costumes you'll have to cough up the cash. If I think a costume is worth it I don't mind paying a little extra for it.
I honestly think it has something to do with how expensive video games have become, and things like extra costumes are probably pretty expensive to make now so having them free when they weren't developed alongside the game may be a little bit of the stretch

F4ke

And that's why the pc version is going to be the superior version. 60fps+custom skin for Dante by modders. Too bad my computer is not powerful enough to run this game. I'm jealous.

AlchemistFromEden

And that's why the pc version is going to be the superior version. 60fps+custom skin for Dante by modders. Too bad my computer is not powerful enought to run this game. I'm jealous.
200fps actually for max graphics cards
dmc-devil-may-cry-tes8yy79.png

Janoosen

Dark Slayer
I honestly think it has something to do with how expensive video games have become, and things like extra costumes are probably pretty expensive to make now so having them free when they weren't developed alongside the game may be a little bit of the stretch

Good point. I really have no idea what the expenses for things like extra costumes and such estimate at nowadays but I can understand them wanting to make a profit out of their work, it's business after all. So long as they don't overprice them to oblivion I'm fine with it.

I was being half-sarcastic with my beating each difficulty rewarding you with a costume remark, but I do like reminiscing about those days. The surprise factor was pretty awesome too. "You beat Vergil Must Die mode, take this Nelo Angelo costume with unlimited DT!"

Roxas

And that's why the pc version is going to be the superior version. 60fps+custom skin for Dante by modders. Too bad my computer is not powerful enough to run this game. I'm jealous.
Yeah, my PC ain't going to run it either. ;_;
Even if it does, it'll run at like 15fps with everything on low.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Good point. I really have no idea what the expenses for things like extra costumes and such estimate at nowadays but I can understand them wanting to make a profit out of their work, it's business after all. So long as they don't overprice them to oblivion I'm fine with it.

I was being half-sarcastic with my beating each difficulty rewarding you with a costume remark, but I do like reminiscing about those days. The surprise factor was pretty awesome too. "You beat Vergil Must Die mode, take this Nelo Angelo costume with unlimited DT!"
That was really cool, I remember going nuts when I got that costume, sadly I think those days are long gone, you could see it even before dlc got super duper popular. DMC4 gave us no costumes besides super Dante and Nero and those dont really count since you look exactly the same.

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
I believe the main problem is that there's no explanation whatosever as to why DLC is priced the way it is. A pair of decades ago, expensions packs, which had a cost of almost if not less than what the original game costed, and it was only logical, as the new content, sounds, models, maps, items, etc., was in nearly the same quantities as in the original. So, for example, X game comes out for $50 USD, its expansion pack a year later will cost $40 and, in terms of quantity, it has around 70% the amount of the original. Fair enough. But now, if you buy a $60 USD game, and days later a DLC that is nothing but additonal character skins, which may not even make up the 1% of the original came's content, comes out for $6. If you think about it, that is harshly overpriced.

AlchemistFromEden

I believe the main problem is that there's no explanation whatosever as to why DLC is priced the way it is. A pair of decades ago, expensions packs, which had a cost of almost if not less than what the original game costed, and it was only logical, as the new content, sounds, models, maps, items, etc., was in nearly the same quantities as in the original. So, for example, X game comes out for $50 USD, its expansion pack a year later will cost $40 and, in terms of quantity, it has around 70% the amount of the original. Fair enough. But now, if you buy a $60 USD game, and days later a DLC that is nothing but additonal character skins, which may not even make up the 1% of the original came's content, comes out for $6. If you think about it, that is harshly overpriced.
the dlc is only four dollars in the US, and expansion packs are completely different than something like vergil's downfall, an expansion pack is a very large amount of additional content

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
the dlc is only four dollars in the US, and expansion packs are completely different than something like vergil's downfall, an expansion pack is a very large amount of additional content

I was talking about DLC in general, not this one in specific. And the idea is still the same: both are additional content for one game available post-release. Regardless of what's the ammount of content, I assume its price should be measured in quantity of it.

Top Bottom