• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would you like to see the return of styles in DmC2?

Nekodark

To be honest I just want the trickster style back. I didn't really use the other classes. I miss running on walls. xD

Oh man that was the only one I used myself, but putting something like that in this game if there was a 2 would be awkward to me like forced even if I love Trickster style..

EvilX-81

Oh man that was the only one I used myself, but putting something like that in this game if there was a 2 would be awkward to me like forced even if I love Trickster style..

I dunno; could see it expanding upon the already good platforming. Kinda disappoint that the angel wall glide was pretty pointless in this game.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
DmC's stance system has more potential that DMC3/4's style system. They just need to work on it a little and try to add more of the moves and concepts missing in the current moveset.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
Just add more moves and the style system will be totally irrelevant. It's another part of DMC that I don't miss.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yes I know what DMC 4 is and it's a terrible game which is why I don't even mention it. It was one of the worst games I played that year. I think you're confusing quantity over quality because DMC 4 didn't have a breakthrough in combat. That entire game was just rehashes from the previous and was a very lazy game they didn't try one bit with. There are so many moves in DMC 4 that can be substituted for others and are just as effective. 4 was absolutely awful and people need to quit acting like it was so good. It was the worst DMC game since 2. Eww gross.

As much as I completely agree with you that DMC4 was terrible, it was actually groundbreaking in combat gameplay. But that's all I gotta give it.

Gbraga

As much as I completely agree with you that DMC4 was terrible, it was actually groundbreaking in combat gameplay. But that's all I gotta give it.
Yeah, you can hate DMC4 as much as you want, but bashing it's gameplay is not an opinion, it's just WRONG.

DMC4's combat is the pinnacle of action games, and it probably won't be topped for a very very long time. Backtracking sucks, Nero sucks, there's a lot to criticize in that game, the combat is not one of those things.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I am not sure I would really like styles in this series. I really do love having all of Dante's arsenal of weapons and abilities at once and i'm not sure if I would be happy going back to something like DMC3 and having to pick and choose. I also really hope they don't add a hard lock on. Sure it would be useful in some instances but it would completely change the flow of combat. I would much rather they evolve this new combat system into something uniquely it's own rather than try and mimic the old series.

I mean of course take cues from the previous stuff but dont give me a copycat version because if I want to play that way I will play DMC3 or 4

Janoosen

Dark Slayer
Yes I know what DMC 4 is and it's a terrible game which is why I don't even mention it. It was one of the worst games I played that year. I think you're confusing quantity over quality because DMC 4 didn't have a breakthrough in combat. That entire game was just rehashes from the previous and was a very lazy game they didn't try one bit with. There are so many moves in DMC 4 that can be substituted for others and are just as effective. 4 was absolutely awful and people need to quit acting like it was so good. It was the worst DMC game since 2. Eww gross.

I'm inclined to disagree about the combat part. Say what you will about DMC4 in general, but the combat in that game was beautiful. It was deep, flexible and took an incredible amount of skill and time to master. Well, for me at least. Not to mention the vast amounts of possible combinations there were. But that's my opinion of course.

What other moves did you have in mind to substitute the DMC4 ones? You've piqued my curiosity.

And people need to quit acting like it's good? That's a matter of personal opinion.

Tiran

The great pretender.
The style system is an overrated over-complicated, mislabeled control scheme that hinders it's players more than it actually helps them.

It should be called the 'specials' system.

Truth is using any style in the system doesn't actually give you an extra power or ability or really change your combat style at all, it just removes EVERYTHING else you could do and affects the function of one button on your controller.

The problem with the 'system' is that it forces you to commit one a time (however short or long it may be) to a single function at the cost of all others. Higher level use of the system requires constant movement of your hands- from the controls- to the system buttons on the d-pad and back. An awkward action that, in deep combat, should be minimized as much as possible or omitted completely to maximize concentration and focus.

Also, the system does not address the lack of proper allocation of move-sets and actions into easily accessible functions. I should not have to go into a special evasion and traversal style to evade and traverse at the sacrifice of minimizing my ability to use my melee weapons in a game mostly based on the use of melee weapons. Think of operating your character on the screen to operating a car. Reverse is a separate function requiring you to switch to a special in order to drive in reverse. This is acceptable as it has nothing to do with the typical function of your vehicle during most of your travel. Now imagine having to switch to a separate right turn mode every time you needed to move even slightly to the right. Or one mode to turn left. another to move forward. All these requiring a separate button lever or control that made it impossible to move in any direction instantly without having to switch back to that specific mode.

Yes, I know that their is a one or two percent minority of players who can use this system like they have three hands and fifteen fingers. Their are also those who can juggle knives and dunk basketballs from the free-throw line and breathe fire and perform feats of dangerous urban free running. These individuals are above standard and should not be the core example that the game is based on. These gamers perform this way in spite of whatever system they work with, not because of it. With a simplified control and proper depth, they will be able to perform even greater feats.

The current DmC scheme is a flawed, but brilliant step in the right direction. Allocating abilities under three seperate powers by function and applying the triggers which can be pressed and released instantly without interrupting the placement of the thumbs or flow of combat at ANY level is a brilliant move. Given opportunity, Ninja Theory could implement it into other future combat games and expand upon it's possibilities.

chocolatepanda

The only way i think styles could return is if Dante had different angel and demon stance styles like. Like his normal demon stance being just called demon stance or SoS stance and having another stance(to equip before a stage or at statues) called satan stance or something that changes all the demon weapons abilities. Basic abilities like the whip and glide would remain since its a key part of the platforming aspect of gameplay.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
If they plan on adding lock-on, I'm all for styles making a comeback. If they continue using the soft lock-on, the styles should stay away.

EvilX-81

The style system is an overrated over-complicated, mislabeled control scheme that hinders it's players more than it actually helps them.

It should be called the 'specials' system.

Truth is using any style in the system doesn't actually give you an extra power or ability or really change your combat style at all, it just removes EVERYTHING else you could do and affects the function of one button on your controller.

The problem with the 'system' is that it forces you to commit one a time (however short or long it may be) to a single function at the cost of all others. Higher level use of the system requires constant movement of your hands- from the controls- to the system buttons on the d-pad and back. An awkward action that, in deep combat, should be minimized as much as possible or omitted completely to maximize concentration and focus.

Also, the system does not address the lack of proper allocation of move-sets and actions into easily accessible functions. I should not have to go into a special evasion and traversal style to evade and traverse at the sacrifice of minimizing my ability to use my melee weapons in a game mostly based on the use of melee weapons. Think of operating your character on the screen to operating a car. Reverse is a separate function requiring you to switch to a special in order to drive in reverse. This is acceptable as it has nothing to do with the typical function of your vehicle during most of your travel. Now imagine having to switch to a separate right turn mode every time you needed to move even slightly to the right. Or one mode to turn left. another to move forward. All these requiring a separate button lever or control that made it impossible top move in any direction instantly without having to switch back to that specific mode.

Yes, I know that their is a one or two percent minority of players who can use this system like they have three hands and fifteen fingers. Their are also those who can juggle knives and dunk basketballs from the free-throw line and breathe fire and perform feats of dangerous urban free running. These individuals are above standard and should not be the core example that the game is based on. These gamers perform this way in spite of whatever system they work with, not because of it. With a simplified control and proper depth, they will be able to perform even greater feats.

The current DmC scheme is a flawed, but brilliant step in the right direction. Allocating abilities under three seperate powers by function and applying the triggers which can be pressed and released instantly without interrupting the placement of the thumbs or flow of combat at ANY level is a brilliant move. Given opportunity, Ninja Theory could implement it into other future combat games and expand upon it's possibilities.

This is a good counterpoint, but the bolded part especially. As much as I like the styles and having them at my fingertips, it was pretty damn tough to switch on the fly, and half my mistakes was trying to do a move and forgetting that I'm in the wrong style for it, ontop of having to remember what pair of weapons I'm currently using.

Going from trickster to swordmaster and back and forth, occasionally also royal guard, is doable on the fly, but going from one of those to gunslinger and switching to pandora... guh.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
This is a good counterpoint, but the bolded part especially. As much as I like the styles and having them at my fingertips, it was pretty damn tough to switch on the fly, and half my mistakes was trying to do a move and forgetting that I'm in the wrong style for it, ontop of having to remember what pair of weapons I'm currently using.

Going from trickster to swordmaster and back and forth, occasionally also royal guard, is doable on the fly, but going from one of those to gunslinger and switching to pandora... guh.
I have to agree with you on that. I mean I do love the combat in both DMC3 and Dmc4 but at times for me at least, Dante could be a little confusing for my hands. I preferred Nero hands down in DMC 4 for the simple reason of having all of what he could do right at my disposal in a much easier, less bloated fashion, same for the DmC Dante, I really do like not having to worry about Trickster, or Gunslinger or or Royal Guard.

The downside to this is perhaps the fact that DmC Dante, DMC3 Vergil and Nero all had more limited move sets and weapons than DMC Dante. I do however think this is not such a big issue that would be difficult to fix. It was easy enough switching between weapons and DmC and adding one or two extra button presses up, left, and right would be simple as well as a few more pause cobos if they keep the soft lock on.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I think they should just rename the angel and demon stances Angel Style, and Demon Style.
That's basically what they are anyway. There's a few adjustments they could make for example adding Royalguard moves into the Demon Style to make it more grounded and powerful. I do like how they've streamlined most of the moves into the two styles, just a couple improvements here and there and it would be perfect! :)

EvilX-81

I think they should just rename the angel and demon stances Angel Style, and Demon Style.
That's basically what they are anyway. There's a few adjustments they could make for example adding Royalguard moves into the Demon Style to make it more grounded and powerful. I do like how they've streamlined most of the moves into the two styles, just a couple improvements here and there and it would be perfect! :)

Might a little controversial, but if we allocated the pull/lift abilities to another button, we could get different gunslinger firearm abilities depending on which mode you're in, a long with a plethora of other things. Using angel with E&I could allow use of the ricoshot, while demon does twosome time and honeycomb fire or something like that.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I am just hoping if the game gets a sequel and NT get to make it they will be able to resist the urge to make it to similar to the old DMC games mechanically.

Top Bottom