• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would video-games replace other forms of entertainment in near future????

Do you want video games to replace other forms of entertainment???

• I want and think video-games would replace other forms of entertainment

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don't want and don't think video-games would replace other forms of entertainment

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I want video-games to replace other forms of entertainment but don't think will happen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't want video-games to replace other forms of entertainment but am afraid will happen.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

aoshi

Hi,

I find video-games a lot more entertaining and engaging. I mean if anyone values their entertainment, Video-games can be satisfying. Atleast to student community since its got casual math,puzzle solving and some mental exercise.But can video-games replace other forms of entertainment like television, movies. (Not music though since video-games also have music but don't think live-action is much needed in games unlike television and movies. Which is another subject of discussion, Live-action or CG????). Ya know, Like radio entertainment was replaced by television(Or Visual entertainment).Though people still listen to radio but how many electronic device developers sell radios today compared to television????

To me, I don't want video-games to replace movies and television. I don't want to mentally exercise everytime. I want to relax by watching cool live-action television and movies.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
it COULD happen. but i doubt it will. there are always preferred forms of media.

Blade8513

I wish there was a reply for people that love video games but don't want them to replace other forms of entertainment lol I love video games a lot but I also love horror movies and some t.v shows as well, and I have to have music too.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
Well, if you really think about it, it already has. Remember comic books and playing outside? Back in the 80's, video games were the new babysitters of the era. Forget hiring samantha whatshername again, just sit little timothy down in front of the nintendo and party away at the clubs! Even now, Video games are incredibly mainstream, and has been since early 2000. Kids are running around with smartphones and ipads and have unbridled access to the internet. Personally, I'm waiting for gaming to die off, so I can enjoy my games without some 5 year old screaming in my headset during a Gears of War match.

aoshi

Well, if you really think about it, it already has.

Not quite. People beyond age of 40 still think video-games are still 8-bits and 16-bits mario games for kids. If they were to choose between a game and a movie, they would rather watch a movie. Statistically, Movies generate a lot of revenue than games. I hardly know of games that hit the billion but most hollywood movies do. So games haven't statistically replaced other dominant forms of entertainment like movies.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
Not quite. People beyond age of 40 still think video-games are still 8-bits and 16-bits mario games for kids. If they were to choose between a game and a movie, they would rather watch a movie. Statistically, Movies generate a lot of revenue than games. I hardly know of games that hit the billion but most hollywood movies do. So games haven't statistically replaced other dominant forms of entertainment like movies.

Not all of this is particulaly true. The average age of game players, as of 2013, 32% of players are 18 and under, 32% are 18-35, and 36% are 36+. Lets not forget to mention the total revenue of the gaming industry for 2012 totals out to $20.77 billion dollars, quoted from the entertainment software association. (ESA).

"No other sector has experienced the same explosive growth as the computer and video game industry. Our creative publishers and talented workforce continue to accelerate advancement and pioneer new products that push boundaries and unlock entertainment experiences. These innovations in turn drive enhanced player connectivity, fuel demand for products, and encourage the progression of an expanding and diversified consumer base." -----Michael D. Gallagher, president and CEO, Entertainment Software Association.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2013.pdf

It looks to me like video games have reached the rival point of movies, and surpassed board games altogether. Movies may still have a lead, but not for long. Give it 5 more years.

aoshi

Not all of this is particulaly true. The average age of game players, as of 2013, 32% of players are 18 and under, 32% are 18-35, and 36% are 36+. Lets not forget to mention the total revenue of the gaming industry for 2012 totals out to $20.77 billion dollars, quoted from the entertainment software association. (ESA).

"No other sector has experienced the same explosive growth as the computer and video game industry. Our creative publishers and talented workforce continue to accelerate advancement and pioneer new products that push boundaries and unlock entertainment experiences. These innovations in turn drive enhanced player connectivity, fuel demand for products, and encourage the progression of an expanding and diversified consumer base." -----Michael D. Gallagher, president and CEO, Entertainment Software Association.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2013.pdf

It looks to me like video games have reached the rival point of movies, and surpassed board games altogether. Movies may still have a lead, but not for long. Give it 5 more years.

Thank you for sharing such statistics. But i am afraid it covers only US. Also Revenue mentioned in billion is total sum of everything covered from hardware to content(of all games inclusive). Whereas movies like Pirates of Carribean series solely cross 1 billion mark.

From Wiki:

So far, the film franchise has grossed $3.72 billion worldwide; it is the sixth highest-grossing film series of all-timeand it was the first franchise where more than one film grossed $1 billion worldwide.

I understand how much video-games are evolving and thats why i made this thread but comparing the statistics and the hassle(of buying hardware and network access(DLC)) consumer has to go through, other forms of entertainment like movies will be dominant for a while.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
Thank you for sharing such statistics. But i am afraid it covers only US. Also Revenue mentioned in billion is total sum of everything covered from hardware to content(of all games inclusive). Whereas movies like Pirates of Carribean series solely cross 1 billion mark.

From Wiki:

I understand how much video-games are evolving and thats why i made this thread but comparing the statistics and the hassle(of buying hardware and network access(DLC)) consumer has to go through, other forms of entertainment like movies will be dominant for a while.

I suppose movies being around for nearly a century does give them a leg up in the economy. Its true movies can be bought and viewed from nearly every device available, which is incredibly convenient, comparing to games where consoles and hardware set limitations on what you can buy immediately. With cross-platforming becoming more popular however, along with the ever vigilant PC gaming market/steam, Gaming can very well become dominate if the overall growth continues.

Here's a question for fun. WHAT IF games have already reached its prime? With such explosive growth, there is often is a downfall just as big, or even larger. For example, the roaring 20's were a time of economic boom and prosperity, thus followed by the great depression, America's lowest economic point in history. With tablet gaming, facebook games, endless DLC, and big name companies refusing to listen to the consumer base, are we looking at the great collapse of the gaming industry in the near future? (dundunDUN!)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think it will grow in popularity, but will probably never take over. Reading and watching movies and television are great because nearly anyone can do them, even the blind can read. Video Games require a certain amount of dexterity and motor skills that some just aren't blessed with, which prevents them from really taking part in the enjoyment of a game.

I've known people who had really slow motor skills because of muscular disease, and while they could play many games, when games started to emphasis jamming buttons really fast to perform tasks (like Uncharted to pull on a chain and open a door), he couldn't do it. To his dismay, that's become the norm, and because he literally cannot move his hands fast enough, he can no longer play games like that (which is sadly a lot of them).

Not to mention that gaming is inherently skill-based, and it's why people get competitive and frustrated easily. That never happens in books and TV, only sports, which is essentially the physical entertainment medium that, like gaming, has some harsh exclusions, too.

Just like how music and television came under fire, games are going through that now. In years to come it'll certainly be a lot more commonplace or at least accepted the way their predecessors (music and television) are now, but it'll never be the dominant entertainment medium that takes the entire world by storm. As much as people hope gaming will be, it's got too many important things going against it for it to be seen that way.

There's also just the amusing aspect of how if games should be the greatest medium ever, why so often do we wish there were movies of games we like...?

Top Bottom