• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Would fighting games make better tv shows?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Would fighting games make better tv shows than movies as you would get more time to develop each character and their stories when you got only 2 hours to develop the story so you have to focus on a smaller set of characters?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
In general, stories, whether they are games (regardless of the genre) or not should do way better in TV series, rather than a movie.

In a movie you have about two to three hours to include whatever's important from the original source (book/game/novel). Therefore, I firmly believe, that movies should be used in a different way. New content. Or sort stories. For example, Final Fantasy: Advent Children. I love that movie. I know it's no masterpiece concerning the scenario, and mainly focus in its awesome graphics, but I find it quite enjoyable nevertheless. It ties with the original story so all's well. If they tried to put all FFVII inside the small timeframe of two to three hours, I'd pretty much expect a disaster.

I also prefer a different approach - approach not version. By approach I mean for example the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie. I love the game and I like the movie as well even though it's different than the game. They only kept the basic parts. Dagger of time, a princess, an evil vizier, profit!

If they tried to follow the game as closely as they could, they could very well end up in a small disaster. It would be impossible to include EVERYTHING and because of that many things would not make sense.

Just like in the Harry Potter movies - not a game I know, but let me use it as an example. As each book is bigger than the last, while the next movie CANNOT be much bigger than the previous one, it was doomed from the beginning. I will not mention the stuff the directors put in the movies because they could - that's their version of the story and even though I do not support it, I'm not a hater - but some fundamendal stuff that the books take time to familiarize you with, the movie just throws it like it's nothing, and it's not the movie's fault, it's incredibly difficult to fit everything in such a small timeframe. I'm currently doing a watch of the movies - I'm on the 4th - and in each one I find many parts missing. Not parts like jokes or stuff like that. Parts that without them, I'd constantly be like - hey how/why did that happen? A shame really. But I still like them.

Whereas in WAY bigger books - you know it's coming:D - a TV series had not only the time to show us EVERYTHING from the book, but also throw a few hints here and there about what's going to happen next. I'm talking about the Game of Thrones of course;)

So yeah. Tv Series-> More Potential. Not necessarily better. But easier to become better.
Movies -> Good for graphics and "short" stories or different approaches. For the record, besides the Prince of Persia movie, I also enjoyed Silent Hill. Even though it did many stuff on its own, it still had the Silent Hill feeling, and that's awesome enough for me:)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Hey, i feel ya.

So would a tv show based on Dante's adventures during the ten years between DMC3/DMC1 work ?

most of the show would be original content as there are no adventures done during that period.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Hey, i feel ya.

So would a tv show based on Dante's adventures during the ten years between DMC3/DMC1 work ?

most of the show would be original content as there are no adventures done during that period.

You mean like the DMC Anime?

Well, the problem with the TV series is that they have TOO much time in contrast to the movies. So, I'd prefer a TV series if there could be some nice strong scenario to make good use of this time space.

Otherwise, if we're going about something short and smooth, like one big adventure-mission of Dante's I'd prefer a movie;)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well the anime was after DMC1, i meant before DMC1.

I'm interested in seeing Post dmc3 Dante's wekly adventures with him figuring out how to be a hero like his dad but having to deal with a different set of problems. So i would like a mix of a season long arc but there are a couple episodes here and there that are fun.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
In general, stories, whether they are games (regardless of the genre) or not should do way better in TV series, rather than a movie.

In a movie you have about two to three hours to include whatever's important from the original source (book/game/novel). Therefore, I firmly believe, that movies should be used in a different way. New content. Or sort stories. For example, Final Fantasy: Advent Children. I love that movie. I know it's no masterpiece concerning the scenario, and mainly focus in its awesome graphics, but I find it quite enjoyable nevertheless. It ties with the original story so all's well. If they tried to put all FFVII inside the small timeframe of two to three hours, I'd pretty much expect a disaster.

I also prefer a different approach - approach not version. By approach I mean for example the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie. I love the game and I like the movie as well even though it's different than the game. They only kept the basic parts. Dagger of time, a princess, an evil vizier, profit!

If they tried to follow the game as closely as they could, they could very well end up in a small disaster. It would be impossible to include EVERYTHING and because of that many things would not make sense.

Just like in the Harry Potter movies - not a game I know, but let me use it as an example. As each book is bigger than the last, while the next movie CANNOT be much bigger than the previous one, it was doomed from the beginning. I will not mention the stuff the directors put in the movies because they could - that's their version of the story and even though I do not support it, I'm not a hater - but some fundamendal stuff that the books take time to familiarize you with, the movie just throws it like it's nothing, and it's not the movie's fault, it's incredibly difficult to fit everything in such a small timeframe. I'm currently doing a watch of the movies - I'm on the 4th - and in each one I find many parts missing. Not parts like jokes or stuff like that. Parts that without them, I'd constantly be like - hey how/why did that happen? A shame really. But I still like them.

Whereas in WAY bigger books - you know it's coming:D - a TV series had not only the time to show us EVERYTHING from the book, but also throw a few hints here and there about what's going to happen next. I'm talking about the Game of Thrones of course;)

So yeah. Tv Series-> More Potential. Not necessarily better. But easier to become better.
Movies -> Good for graphics and "short" stories or different approaches. For the record, besides the Prince of Persia movie, I also enjoyed Silent Hill. Even though it did many stuff on its own, it still had the Silent Hill feeling, and that's awesome enough for me:)
i am being agreeing

Top Bottom