• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Resistance is so refreshing- Essay

Meg

Here's another something I wrote. :)

-------
Why Resistance is so refreshing

Resistance is one of those rare series that, when they come along, remind me why I like playing games so much. With so many games becoming more realistic, more gritty, more brown and gray, more linear and stream lined, and more boring, it’s great to have a series that actual offers a fun experience.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against games trying to be more realistic, but sometimes I really want to shoot aliens with a gun that fires energy blasts through walls. Enter Resistance.

I recently started playing Resistance: Burning Skies for the PSVita. Like with previous games in the series, I had a smile on my face while playing. Why? Because it’s a fun game. Resistance’s main draw has always been it’s weapon selection, and this game doesn’t disappoint. The usual weapons are here, like the Bullseye, Carbine, and Auger. There’s also a shotgun that is also a crossbow and a giant, heavy machine gun to name a few, and you can carry all your guns around with you through out the entire game.

While weapon variety in Resistance is always great, that isn’t the only thing this series does better than most shooters out there today. Making the most out of your surroundings is a must. Many enemies can attack you while you’re in cover, so it’s important to keep moving. You can’t just rest behind a chest high wall for hours on end.

There’s also room to explore some. Resistance 3 had this down perfectly. Instead of only have one correct path, players could explore and try different routes: finding different Intel and supplies depending on the route they took.

Enemy variety is another perk to this series. There’s your standard foot solider chimera: your jumpers, giant chimera that charge right toward you, ones that wield different weapons, smaller ones that travel in swarms, etc. Each enemy and each encounter can be tackled differently. The RPG may be more powerful, but the Bullseye can home-in on an enemy’s weak point, while the Carbine’s grenade launcher offers great crowd control.

Now compare everything I just said about Resistance to the annoying “modern military shooter.” You know: linear levels. Only being able to carry two weapons at a time. Gung-ho American (or British) soldiers shooting up vastly out-gunned foreigners with little to no context. Riding a conveyer belt from shoot out to shoot out. Being told exactly how to handle a situation.

Ugh.

In Resistance, not only are your enemies not out-gunned, but in many circumstances, you are the one that is out matched. This requires you to really think on your feet and makes finally winning feel like a real accomplishment. Oh sure, you can have moments in modern military shooters where your character is outmatched, but that is almost always scripted and ends with the enemy taking an airstrike or RPG punch in the face.

The Resistance series is simply more creative. Even Resistance 2 (to me, the worst in the series) is more creative and more satisfying to play than modern military shooters.

Fortunately, the Resistnace series isn’t the only one that offers creative gameplay in the face of all these cardboard cut-out modern shooters. The inFAMOUS series (which is basically a third person shooter with electricity) emphasizes combat experimentation and world exploration. Bioshock games combines a larger typical gun selection with superpowers. Games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dishonored offer similar experiences. Ratchet and Clank not only has crazy weaponry but great third person shooting and platforming.

There are other games out there that also offer open, creative experiences. The point is that the modern military shooter is the dominating genre. And more and more games are copying the “Call of Duty style.” Killzone 3 took way too many cues from CoD. The new Xbox One game, Ryse, might as well be called Call of Duty: Ancient Warfare. Even the Tomb Raider reboot took the dark, gritty, realistic route. Even the developers of Destiny seem more interested in the games varying shades of browns and grays than anything else. Not to mention Dead Rising 3.

Again, while there is room for games like that, I can’t help but be worried when more and more games are jumping on the “dark, gritty, realistic, boring” bandwagon instead of going the Resistance route, which really is a great blending of both extremes: fun, exciting, creative gameplay and open levels, but mixed with a darker tone.

It’s a real shame to watch so many game developers dive head first into a generic pile of trash instead of a colorful ball pit.

I mean less face it, which one of these two would you rather jump into?

This:

spunkgargleweewee_zps67874c68.jpg

Or this:

creativegames_zps21b67ed9.jpg

When you put it like that, the answer is pretty obvious.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
The first and last time I played Resistance was back when I got my first PS3 back around in 2008 but I never finished it due to it somehow reminding me of game I played on the Xbox 360 a little while before I got my PS3.
This one:
256px-BlackSite_Area_51_cover.jpg

When I started playing Resistance it just reminded me so much of Blacksite with the military fighting aliens and what not so I stopped playing it and never got back to it, then after I heard bad things about the 2nd Resistance I never considered trying the Resistance games.

There’s also room to explore some. Resistance 3 had this down perfectly. Instead of only have one correct path, players could explore and try different routes: finding different Intel and supplies depending on the route they took.
Can you explain this more please? You make it should like the awesome exploration old school shooters had.

Also yeah I'd rather jump into the 2nd pile.

Meg

I wouldn't know since I never played Blacksite: Area 51 before. However, stopping a game because it's similar to another is silly. Military fighting aliens has been done to death. It's not like Blacksite did it first. :/

In Resistance 3, the level wasn't just a linear path from point A to point B. It was more like a wide rectangle. You still had to get from one end to the other, but how you did it was more up to you. Not sure how else to explain it. :/ Why not watch some gameplay videos to see what I mean?

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
aaaah resistance my favourite franchise i loved it so much i spent 4 years learning the plot to every little detail so i'd end up boring people with my vast resistance knowledge

Meg

No mention of the non-existence of regenerating health? I am disappoint. /jk
That is very true! Another thing Resistance 3 does that's just awesome. I'm really bummed that there is regenerating health in Burning Skies. :(

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
resistance 2 has to be my favourite because of the awesome bosses and characters like the leviathan, daedalus and the kraken plus the chameleons were fun to fight and kept you on edge

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Now compare everything I just said about Resistance to the annoying “modern military shooter.” You know: linear levels. Only being able to carry two weapons at a time. Gung-ho American soldiers shooting up vastly out-gunned foreigners with little to no context. Riding a conveyer belt from shoot out to shoot out. Being told exactly how to handle a situation.

1. Modern Warfare's main characters where all British ( with an unimportant American soldier as another player character who doesn't really matter) and Call of Duty games do have a actually thought out story that explains why you are at war with whoever you are shooting at and you don't really have a major advantage when it comes to weapons except for a few short segments where you can call in an airstrike or something. as to linearity and limited access to weapons those are deliberate gameplay decisions not a failure on their part. some people don't want to carry every weapon in the game with them everywhere and some people prefer actually knowing where they are supposed to go without wandering around trying to get there.

Meg

1. Modern Warfare's main characters where all British ( with an unimportant American soldier as another player character who doesn't really matter) and Call of Duty games do have a actually thought out story that explains why you are at war with whoever you are shooting at and you don't really have a major advantage when it comes to weapons except for a few short segments where you can call in an airstrike or something. as to linearity and limited access to weapons those are deliberate gameplay decisions not a failure on their part. some people don't want to carry every weapon in the game with them everywhere and some people prefer actually knowing where they are supposed to go without wandering around trying to get there.
I actually meant to put "or British" in parenthesis.

And I'm just taking about preference here. I find Resistance to be a refreshing series of games because I find all the Cod, Medal or Honor, etc. crap to be boring.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I actually meant to put "or British" in parenthesis.

And I'm just taking about preference here. I find Resistance to be a refreshing series of games because I find all the Cod, Medal or Honor, etc. crap to be boring.

i understand and accept that you (and many other people) have different opinions than me. my problem is that your description makes it sound like Call of Duty just drops you in a field and tells you to shoot people. CoD isn't exactly Final Fantasy but it does have well done stories. as to Resistance, i haven't played it but it does sound interesting.

Meg

i understand and accept that you (and many other people) have different opinions than me. my problem is that your description makes it sound like Call of Duty just drops you in a field and tells you to shoot people. CoD isn't exactly Final Fantasy but it does have well done stories. as to Resistance, i haven't played it but it does sound interesting.
Allow me to clarify. I was talking about modern military shooters in general. Call of Duty does tries to have interesting stories, which I appreciate. There are games (like Medal of Honor) whose stories can be boiled down to "HE'S A TERRORIST! SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!"

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Allow me to clarify. I was talking about modern military shooters in general. Call of Duty does tries to have interesting stories, which I appreciate. There are games (like Medal of Honor) whose stories can be boiled down to "HE'S A TERRORIST! SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!"

in general when the most well known/ popular example of a subgenre lacks one of the common flaws of that subgenre it is probably best to note that lack when discussing that flaw. of course now that that has been clarified i don't disagree with what you have said. ( i haven't played recent medal of honor games so i can't really say anything about that)

Reactions: Meg
Top Bottom