• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who wants to help me make a 2D DMC?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I just need a good sprite artist and i'll be set
I would say "me", but I don't know anything about that.

I'll just make my own IP using that stencyl program I told you about. It'll be the same as yours, the only difference is that I'm going to have it in a 2D metroidvania map... also, a few other things.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I'm currently working on a Concept project called DMC: Legacy.
I'll update my thread in the fan art section in the upcomming days.
http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/dmc-legacy.14845/#post-454730
some other stuff is in this dev art folder (which is where I update my stuff mostly)
http://erian1mortal.deviantart.com/gallery/43463763

I'm no sprite artist, and sadly I don't have as much free time as I'd like to, which means a lot of the stuff I do are pretty much half assed sketches.If you find any of the ideas interesting, you're free to use them (would be nice if I was credited though)
On the other hand, I think it would be better for you if you'd give out some more info on the stuff you want to do, that way you'd get more people interested.
Still if you need anything in the concept art department, let me know, I'll try to whip something out!

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I had the same idea, roughly, but it was pseudo-3D thing like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories without the stupid card system. The enemies would be represented by sprites on the map and you'd touch them and go to a battle screen and such. Unfortunately I suck at drawing sprites, or I'd get some for you, but I hope my ideas can be taken into consideration. ^^;

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I'll try to model the tormenter. i think it should have a wide mouth, almost like a gaping hole

Sounds cool, I wanted to re-visit that concept anyway^^
My project shifted in the focus lately, it's now more of a combining from the things I liked in DmC and the stuff I liked in DMC.
In the concept Vergil (a rematerialised part of Nelo Angelo) is the main character. I only have a basic premise written out, so there is a lot of stuff that is subject to change. But I know it would be set after DMC 4 for a few reasons (one of which are the Angelo Knights of the Order and Nero).
Updates will be up maybe later today or tomorrow I guess.

gebhardtfridjoffpixelart121130_by_erian1mortal-d66vqz1.png

I remembered that I did this for school a while back. Just so you know what I meant when I said that I'm no sprite artist, I simply suck at details and stuff.

IncarnatedDemon

Sounds cool, I wanted to re-visit that concept anyway^^
My project shifted in the focus lately, it's now more of a combining from the things I liked in DmC and the stuff I liked in DMC.
In the concept Vergil (a rematerialised part of Nelo Angelo) is the main character. I only have a basic premise written out, so there is a lot of stuff that is subject to change. But I know it would be set after DMC 4 for a few reasons (one of which are the Angelo Knights of the Order and Nero).
Updates will be up maybe later today or tomorrow I guess.

gebhardtfridjoffpixelart121130_by_erian1mortal-d66vqz1.png

I remembered that I did this for school a while back. Just so you know what I meant when I said that I'm no sprite artist, I simply suck at details and stuff.
I like it. Your being to hard on yourself. Your not working on a AAA game, and your skills wont grow into AAA skills within a year.
If you can make 2d game on your own with the same type of graphics as that DMC SHOP, then i will definetly look at it with admiration.
Even would look forward to playing the game :D

Not to look down on you or anything when i say your not working on a AAA game, i am simply saying...1 step at a time :)
The most important thing afterall in a game is the gameplay, not the graphics :D

And despite AAA games have pretty good graphics, their gameplay is what defines them in the end. It is the factor that decides whether you will enjoy the game alot or not.
Otherwise it would just be a interactive animation movie.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I like it. Your being to hard on yourself. Your not working on a AAA game, and your skills wont grow into AAA skills within a year.

If you can make 2d game on your own with the same type of graphics as that DMC SHOP, then i will definetly look at it with admiration.

Even would look forward to playing the game :D

Not to look down on you or anything when i say your not working on a AAA game, i am simply saying...1 step at a time :)

The most important thing afterall in a game is the gameplay, not the graphics :D

And despite AAA games have pretty good graphics, their gameplay is what defines them in the end. It is the factor that decides whether you will enjoy the game alot or not.

Otherwise it would just be a interactive animation movie.

True graphics do indeed not make a game (one of the reasons I like some niche titles in this console generation more than AAA titles)

But thinking about it I guess I'll give spriting another try, been playing Odin Sphere on PS2 recently and I find the technology they used highly interesting. Especially if you consider that this stuff was already used to NES and SNES times. But that's off topic, so let's leave it at that.

Truth is I'd love to work on something like that, my biggest problem right now is the small amount of free time I have due to the school I go to. Right now I've got summer holidays so I am able to work on some of my own projects for the time being.

If I am to participate in this project I'd like to do work more on the layout and design stage, since this is something I'm most comfortable with.

I've worked out some more stuff by the way:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...__vergil_sketches_by_erian1mortal-d6d529u.png

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...ected_sketchstuff_by_erian1mortal-d6d5201.png

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2...earteater_concept_by_erian1mortal-d6d51qz.png

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/158/0/7/dante_face_2_by_erian1mortal-d6841za.png

IncarnatedDemon

So your an concept artist i.e your education field is art?
If so, your doing well good. Love your art! You have amazing potential.
You will become a designer!

And take things 1 step at a time. School....then comes summer, then work on project.
or when you got time during school periode- work on project if u are up for it.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
So your an concept artist i.e your education field is art?
If so, your doing well good. Love your art! You have amazing potential.
You will become a designer!

And take things 1 step at a time. School....then comes summer, then work on project.
or when you got time during school periode- work on project if u are up for it.

Thanks^^
I'm studying Communication Design right now, I'm only a beginner though (I'm in the 2 Semester of 7 right now).
I do want to work as a concept artist in the future, be it for film or games, anything where I can come up with concept ideas I guess.

Nelo The Great

Thanks^^
I'm studying Communication Design right now, I'm only a beginner though (I'm in the 2 Semester of 7 right now).
I do want to work as a concept artist in the future, be it for film or games, anything where I can come up with concept ideas I guess.
Hmm... I'm looking at the work titled 'the infected' and that character (which looks like nero to me) should have a two, tiered sword of sorts that inflicts twice as many hitswhen combined, but can be seperated into two weapons

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Like Castlevania? That's an idea I talked about a long time ago. I love retro action platformers like that. I don't know if I can help you with it but, I'd definitely play it.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Hmm... I'm looking at the work titled 'the infected' and that character (which looks like nero to me) should have a two, tiered sword of sorts that inflicts twice as many hitswhen combined, but can be seperated into two weapons
The infected was actually a Nero Concept from when my project was directly tied to the reboot.
I've changed that when the project changed. He also has an infected arm like Nero.
His fighting style was supposed to be completely different from Dantes. He would fight only with his fists and rip weapons from enemys kinda like Nero did in the opening sequence of DMC4, when he ripped off that Scarecrow leg.(Could be a little like the game El Shaddai, if anybody knows that)
His DT equivalent was supposed to be him summoning a Demon Phantom. Those would be either used in special moves which drain DT or summoned like Neros DT (Maybe a little bit more like Chaos Legion gameplay, another hack and slay by capcom).

Man I really need to get this suff down on paper.

All in all that post was to show what I could do or lend a hand with. If we're going to work on something we need to have a plan on paper and see what concepts we need, so they can be worked and sorted out.

Nelo The Great

The infected was actually a Nero Concept from when my project was directly tied to the reboot.
I've changed that when the project changed. He also has an infected arm like Nero.
His fighting style was supposed to be completely different from Dantes. He would fight only with his fists and rip weapons from enemys kinda like Nero did in the opening sequence of DMC4, when he ripped off that Scarecrow leg.(Could be a little like the game El Shaddai, if anybody knows that)
His DT equivalent was supposed to be him summoning a Demon Phantom. Those would be either used in special moves which drain DT or summoned like Neros DT (Maybe a little bit more like Chaos Legion gameplay, another hack and slay by capcom).

Man I really need to get this suff down on paper.

All in all that post was to show what I could do or lend a hand with. If we're going to work on something we need to have a plan on paper and see what concepts we need, so they can be worked and sorted out.
Yeah, but we'll need to gather more teammates. join the forums at http://www.suckerpunch.com/smf/index.php
They're my main forums and i talk to alot of people there. introduce yourself on the Speakeasy interactive thread in the GDB

Top Bottom