• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

When is collecting considered going to far?

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I like Devil May Cry. (Duh lol) But I only buy the games and watch the Anime and that's it. Some people collect the toys and/or engage in DMC cosplay and I'm NOT bashing or hating on people who do these things. But when is the line crossed? This can go for anything, Dragon Ball Z, Power Rangers, Inuyasha, Pokemon and etc. I would like to honestly know when you guys and gals think collecting something goes to far.
For example:
Is collecting the toys going to far or is perhaps engaging in cosplay of said show/anime/game going to far? Basically where is the line between "I'm a fan of the series and no more" and "Whoa dude you've got DMC PJ's...?"
(DMC PJ's lol)

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Hard to say. I don't think anyone who buys all of the collectors items would argue that they've "gone too far." Your room is decorated according to who you are, so if all you are is a raving fan of something I say have at it. I'll probably never go within 100 feet of you again in extreme cases, but have at it.

This is going too far:
twilight-bedroom-room-picture-obsessed-21.png

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
Hard to say. I don't think anyone who buys all of the collectors items would argue that they've "gone too far." Your room is decorated according to who you are, so if all you are is a raving fan of something I say have at it. I'll probably never go within 100 feet of you again in extreme cases, but have at it.

This is going too far:
twilight-bedroom-room-picture-obsessed-21.png
dude that pic will give me nightmares O_O
and going to far isnt considered as having collectibles.the twilight room is going to far.and sending death threats online to people who rebooted a certain franchise ;)
EDIT
DMC pj's lol :D

Meg

I would totally wear DMC PJs because it would be funny. XD

And so long as you are not bothering anyone with your fandom then I say have fun. I may not like your fandom, but it's none of my business. And I don't think doing any one thing is "too far." I don't get cosplay, but if people have fun doing it then there is nothing wrong with that. Especially if they do group cosplays and/or make the costumes themselves then I can see how that would be a fun project for some people.

And I don't think reading books/manga for a game series is going to far either. If you like that game series and want to find out more about the world it takes place it then sure! Why not read the books? I like the first DMC novel a lot because it gave us a nice look into pre-DMC3 Dante's life. Since I love Dante it was nice to find out more about him.

I guess "going too far" can't really be measured by how much stuff you have or whatever: it's how wrapped up in the thing you are mentally. Like, if the thing dominates your life and effects your relationships then that is going too far. But not all cases of "too far going" involve lots of merchandise. Oh sure, a lot of times if a person has as much stuff as that Twilight girl there is a mental craziness going on too, but not always. Example! There is enough Lightning bullcrap to overload my room, but all I have is a nice action figure (I have one of Cole from inFAMOUS too :cool:) and a nice wall-scroll (which isn't up anymore -_-) and I'm happy. I don't really want anything else. However, even though I don't have the merchandise to show it we all known I'm a "bit" Lightning crazy. ;)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
"Whoa dude you've got DMC PJ's...?"
(DMC PJ's lol)
:O WAAAAAAAANNNNTTTT!!!!!! :D :D

As far as collections go, I don't think there is a line. If I could have my way, I'd have Dante and Vergil's faces all over my house. I'd have the curtains, the life-size cutouts, the figurines, the bedspread. I'd have the DMC dustbin and have Yamato and Rebellion substitute for my kitchen knives. I'd have DMC towels (I subconsciously bought red and blue towels - think that means something, lol), a DMC couch, and beanbag, and Xbox cover, and a DMC rug, and even a DMC wall rug for that matter. And posters on my walls, and framed printed pictures of DMC, and gloves and pants and boots like Dantes' that I would just wear for the sake of being a fan rather than actual cosplay. And I'd dye my hair white. Again. BOOJA!
I wouldn't mind having the blowup d- *shuts up* Never mind.
I don't think there is going too far with collecting something. There are people who collect stamps from all over the world. Considering how many stamps that equates to, no, I don't think you can go too far.

No, wait, you can.
Anyone ever saw that episode of the fanboy who wanted the ultimate Powerpuff Girl collection? Yeah, that's going a bit too far.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
:O WAAAAAAAANNNNTTTT!!!!!! :D :D

As far as collections go, I don't think there is a line. If I could have my way, I'd have Dante and Vergil's faces all over my house. I'd have the curtains, the life-size cutouts, the figurines, the bedspread. I'd have the DMC dustbin and have Yamato and Rebellion substitute for my kitchen knives. I'd have DMC towels (I subconsciously bought red and blue towels - think that means something, lol), a DMC couch, and beanbag, and Xbox cover, and a DMC rug, and even a DMC wall rug for that matter. And posters on my walls, and framed printed pictures of DMC, and gloves and pants and boots like Dantes' that I would just wear for the sake of being a fan rather than actual cosplay. And I'd dye my hair white. Again. BOOJA!
I wouldn't mind having the blowup d- *shuts up* Never mind.
I don't think there is going too far with collecting something. There are people who collect stamps from all over the world. Considering how many stamps that equates to, no, I don't think you can go too far.

No, wait, you can.
Anyone ever saw that episode of the fanboy who wanted the ultimate Powerpuff Girl collection? Yeah, that's going a bit too far.
i wanna marry ur brain o_O

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
going too far: well the example would be the dumba$$ Beiber fans that were sending death threats to his girlfriend... well that and stalking...
and as for the twilight fan picture... she needs a 'double lobotomy and ten rolls of rubber wallpaper...' (red dwarf quote ;) )

I have the 'ultimate Vergil plan'... but 'tis top secret :p

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
going too far: well the example would be the dumba$$ Beiber fans that were sending death threats to his girlfriend... well that and stalking...
and as for the twilight fan picture... she needs a 'double lobotomy and ten rolls of rubber wallpaper...' (red dwarf quote ;) )

I have the 'ultimate Vergil plan'... but 'tis top secret :p
Ultimate Vergil plan you say? Now I'm hooked! :D

AzureNight13

Azure Night Goddess.... Or Wesker's daughter
Premium
DMC pjs? WANT!

But anyway, I think it's crossing the line when it controls your life and you end up broke because of it. Or worse in debt lol

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
:oops: Thanks... I'll feel awesome though when my plans come to fruition...
Your very welcome!! ;) The great ones deserve their praise and I will support your plans because God knows I want to see this be fulfilled!! :D

As for the topic: Everybody seems to be unanimous in their thoughts concerning this topic. I didn't see that coming so I'm very intrigued. Intrigued indeed. :cool:

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I'd say it only goes too far when you start neglecting important stuff like your health for example. Otherwise everyone should be free to collect as big an amount of everything as she/he wants, as long as she/he doesn't bother anyone else, while doing it.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
I'd say it only goes too far when you start neglecting important stuff like your health for example. Otherwise everyone should be free to collect as big an amount of everything as she/he wants, as long as she/he doesn't bother anyone else, while doing it.
like creeping people out about it XD

Top Bottom