• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's the best combat system you have experienced so far?

A.$h!nati

$mok!n $!ck $tyle!
The title says it all.

Mine are :
#1 - Devil may cry combat system beats all the other games specially when they added the style switch during gameplay in DMC4 [Air time is crazy in this game].

#2 - Darksiders has the second best combat system I have ever seen in my life , you can combine between all of your weapons and you can attack two or more enemies at once using the cross blade [it has a very good air time gameplay but they need to improve it in DS2].

#3 - God of war combat system is good but there is no target system in it and you can't combine between your weapons like DMC/DS.

#4 - Ninja Gaiden combat system , even though you can't combine between your weapons while attacking enemies and you can't make your own combos but it's fast and makes you feel that you are a real ninja.

#5 - God Hand combat system is unique and I have never seen a combat system like it before.

Whats yours?

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
1 - Devil May Cry games - The combat for DMC1, DMC3, and DM4 is awesome. Total freedom in executing stylish moves, yet must execute different moves to increase your Stylish rank.

2. Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City - Great freeflow combat that allows Batman to attack multiple enemies at the same time, with his large myriad of moves, including gadgets and takedowns.

3. God of War games - Simply great, effective, and yet easy to learn combat. All 5 God of War games have the similar combat style, but God of War III have the best combat personally so far. Unfortunately, the game relies too much on QTE, and the gameplay for each games is rather similar to each other, with little differences such as new magics and new weapons in each games.

4. Infamous games - Both game's combat system is awesome, and Infamous 2 have the best, with access to new powers that devastate enemies like Ionic Vortex. Melee combat in the first game is a bit weak, but it is refined in the second game.

5. Dead Space and Dead Space 2 - Both games have awesome third person shooter gameplay. What makes the game's combat different than the rest of third person shooter games is that headshots do not kill enemies one hit. Instead, you need to dismember their limbs to kill them permanently.

6. Uncharted games - All Uncharted games have great combat system. The games' gameplay allows you to blend melee attacks and gunfights seamlessly.

7. Vanquish - The Boost gameplay mechanism makes the game very awesome to play, creating different strategies in annihilating enemies in an area, as it is both offensive and defensive maneuver.

8. Yakuza games - All Yakuza games have the same beat-em-up combat style. Although it is repetitious, fighting thugs in the game is awesome when Kazuma Kiryu himself have large variety of devastating moves.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
1) DMC4 (DANTE ONLY) - Do I need to explain ?!

2) Batman: Arkham Asylum

3) Darksiders - Everything said above.

4) Prototype

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
^That's what I thought :D

One more game,

Bionic Commando:
I so very much liked swinging around the and dropping grenades on enemies. It was fun.

Demon619

Deadman walking
1)-Devil May Cry: I don't think this really needs to be explained :)

2)-Darksiders: The way you can combine you weapons in destructive combos, destrou hordes of enemys, and the grusome finishers are just fantastic in this game, (And for what I've seen they're really improved all of this in Darksiders 2).

3)-Kingdom Hearts 2: They really improved the stlye of comabt in this game with the moves you can equip, the new weapons, and the drive forms, personally this is why I enjoy enjoyed the sequal more then the original.

4)-Prototype: The way you can basically destroy anything in your path is fantastic, along with the many powers and moves you can use makes it feel unstoppable. (and like darksiders it looks like the sequal has improved this in almost every way).

Teimurazor

Peregrine Falcon
Batman AA - freeflow really allows to fight effective and visually appealing, that's far more better then doing same crap in Some spider man game or smth.
Ninja Gaiden - i like it complex fighting system with lot's of techniques like OLT's, OT's and others.
Yakuza 3 and 4, tho overall combat seems repetitive, perfectly executed HEAT actions and awesome QTE's give it a unique badassity.
Def Jam: Fight for NY - the best fighting game with the most complex, easy to learn, cool looking, real fighting system.
DMC system - i like how they incorporated lock-on combinations.
And MGS4 CQC deserve honorable mention, after a simple grab, you get a lot of options.

A.$h!nati

$mok!n $!ck $tyle!
the thread is about the combat system not the overall gameplay . so swinging is not a combat system :)

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
(I'm speaking for franchises in general)

Devil May Cry - One of my favorite games because of it's swift and controlled combat. Plus it's just rad. 'Nuff said.

Mortal Kombat (The new one) - One of the most refined and fluid fighting games I've ever played. I'm not even kidding, when I first got it, it was all I played for a straight month because the fighting was intense, powerful, easy to get the hang of, and gorily beautiful

Gears of War - I know a lot of people dislike this game, but a lot more DO like it, so screw you guys! Anyway, I love this game's combat because the cover aspect, despite what many think, is extremely useful and necessary while fighting, and the fighting itself is simply stellar, giving you a variety of different ways to take down and finish off opponents. My personal favorite in the new game would either be the Retro Stab'n'Slice or the Hammerburst beatdown to the back of the head.

Dead Space - While I didn't find the game to be scary after the first couple of levels (both of them) the combat was definitely thrilling and stressful. Nothing makes tingle more than stepping into a small room and being ambushed by a dozen different creatures when your low on ammo in all of your guns. Because it's during those moments that the game's true fighting comes out, using your stasis module to slow down an enemy, walk up to him after you've blasted his bladed arm off, pick it up with your kinesis and spear another enemy to the wall without, all the while possibly getting jumped and bitten half to death.

Lastly, F.E.A.R. (I know) because it's so much fun to go barreling into a room full of clone soldiers with an assault rifle, use your hyper reflexes and mow the whole room down in five seconds. I know it's a used mechanic, but FEAR does it so well.

Top Bottom