• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Whats better DMC 5? or DmC 2? which would the fans want more?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Tell me youve never gotten frustrated and hit something? he was so close and he just missed her although why he didnt extend his arm is beyond me lol but he loves her she was hurt and confused and he just missed saving her so he had a bit of a meltdown everything was going to crap people are trying to kill him he has no idea hwy or why hes fighting so he flipped a bit i dont blame him

So? Dante in DMC3 had to deal with the same crap when it came to killing demons, saving his brother before he truly fell to the bowls of hell, and realizing a lot of humans were dying from all this demon stuff, but he only shed one tear, and he was about Nero's age at the time.

I understand Nero and Dante are two different people, but that also goes to why I still don't believe Nero to be a very good Devil May Cry protaganist; he's too much like Dante, he's a bit unstable with his teary emotions (in DMC1, Dante cried because he believed Trish died, not because she was physically taken away from him), and again, I never liked his wanna-be cool attitude that he was selling. It just came off as some pompous pretty boy wanting to be the rough and tough bad boy.

And not only that, but what stopped Nero from just using his Devil Bringer to get her? Maybe it was because he could've risked crushing her too I guess.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
So? Dante in DMC3 had to deal with the same crap when it came to killing demons, saving his brother before he truly fell to the bowls of hell, and realizing a lot of humans were dying from all this demon stuff, but he only shed one tear, and he was about Nero's age at the time.

I understand Nero and Dante are two different people, but that also goes to why I still don't believe Nero to be a very good Devil May Cry protaganist; he's too much like Dante, he's a bit unstable with his teary emotions (in DMC1, Dante cried because he believed Trish died, not because she was physically taken away from him), and again, I never liked his wanna-be cool attitude that he was selling. It just came off as some pompous pretty boy wanting to be the rough and tough bad boy.

And not only that, but what stopped Nero from just using his Devil Bringer to get her? Maybe it was because he could've risked crushing her too I guess.

idk what stopped nero from using his bringer but lets be clear dante dealt with less then nero in dmc3. first off dante had been demon hunting he knew about demons he knew about vergil he knew more then nero did at his age dante chose to go after vergil for personal reasons nero was sent on what most would deem a suicide mission as an order dante had really no one to love and even though vergil was close to him nero was totally in love with kyrie big difference. gotta remember this was nero's first time dealing with anything close to this while dante atleast had his feet wet at that time. but again i stress the point nero was IN LOVE with kyrie loving someone changes everything doubles your emotional range and causes a lot of repressed feelings to come flying out i think in all fairness nero handled himself well for a first timer and i dont think his attitude was an act or he was trying to act tough he never ran from a fight he didnt talk big and then back down no he said what he meant and backed it up

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
and btw he believed they were going to kill kyrie so whether they only "took" her he believed they might kill her so if dante can cry over trish nero can cry over kyrie

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Love can cause you to be irrational and to act out of character and become over emotional and over react it happens and nero was in love with kyrie but the biggest thing is he didnt give up he kept going also him punching the ground worked to his advantage anyway

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
''I never liked his 'wannabe cool attitude'. It just came off as some pompous pretty boy wanting to be the rough and tough bad boy.''

Isn't it pretty much the same idea as with Dante? But you DO like Dante...why, exactly? Come on, you can't seriously like Dante while at the same time saying that Nero has a ''wannabe cool'' attitude, ignoring the fact that Dante has had that in every DMC game.

Besides, coolness isn't determined by how hard you can bash your chest like an ape. To me, characters are cool when they're intelligent and show their emotions often enough. When they show both sides of their psyche. I'm not looking for a football hooligan type of thing.

DragonMaster2010

''I never liked his 'wannabe cool attitude'. It just came off as some pompous pretty boy wanting to be the rough and tough bad boy.''

Isn't it pretty much the same idea as with Dante? But you DO like Dante...why, exactly? Come on, you can't seriously like Dante while at the same time saying that Nero has a ''wannabe cool'' attitude, ignoring the fact that Dante has had that in every DMC game.

The fact that Nero tried to hard to be like Dante in most incounters with demons made him seem like he wasn't speaking his own words. And I say wanna be cool because I have this issue with anime characters who act all tough and think they're rebellious and such, yet they look like this
367089b9aaee70_full.jpg

badboy6.jpg

Anime-Guy-Dark-BlueBlack.jpg

Because whenever I hear rebellious and tough or a loner, I usually think the western interpretation of that which is this;

rebel-without-james-dean_l.jpg

Seiji_Sawamura.jpg

DmC_Dante.jpg

Badass+with+a+baby.JPG

alex_mercer_wallpaper_by_michal4269-d3dvw23.png

I just don't like the delinquent characters being transformed into these glossy douchebags who THINK they're cool and rebellious. It just makes them look like posers in my eyes.

Thus why I call Nero a "wanna-be".

Besides, coolness isn't determined by how hard you can bash your chest like an ape. To me, characters are cool when they're intelligent and show their emotions often enough. When they show both sides of their psyche. I'm not looking for a football hooligan type of thing.

Neither am I, but when a character is obviously trying to present them self in a certain way, I expect them to act that way. Nero fails at this by trying to be the loner "look at me, I'm listening to rock music while in church" wanna be punk who thinks he's all cool but really is just some posh brat who happens to have demon powers.

I just don't like the way Nero was told in DMC4, because it failed to make him as cool as they tried to push down my throat.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Neither am I, but when a character is obviously trying to present them self in a certain way, I expect them to act that way. Nero fails at this by trying to be the loner "look at me, I'm listening to rock music while in church" wanna be punk who thinks he's all cool but really is just some posh brat who happens to have demon powers.

Lol, I've never considered Nero to be posh. He doesn't speak in a posh manner, and he doesn't necessarily look that way either, so I don't know where you got that idea from.
And at least Nero didn't try to be incredibly tough like Dante in DMC3, he just was. And he was tough while keeping his own personality instead of turning into some sort of caricature like DMC3/DMC4 Dante.

The fact that Nero tried to hard to be like Dante in most incounters with demons made him seem like he wasn't speaking his own words.

But you didn't say he was emulating Dante, you only said: ''It just came off as some pompous pretty boy wanting to be the rough and tough bad boy'', which is what Dante was like in the games, as well. Sure, he acts a bit Dante-like at times, but I do see the difference in personality. Nero is more sardonic and cynical, while Dante is playful and a poser.

I don't know, I quite like characters that don't look cool or overtly act cool. Characters that rely on having a believable personality and having wit. If their looks happen to contradict their behavior, that just makes it extra nice to me. It gives their behavior more of an impact due to the contrast, and makes their personality more important. And the examples you chose are not necessarily of Japanese vs western views; I've seen plenty of 'cool' characters in anime that look nothing like your examples.

To me, the 'listening to rock music while in church' thing doesn't really come across as him trying to be cool. I just saw it as a way for him to not have to listen to that Sparda worship blather. He didn't even seem to pay much attention to the music. The headphones might as well have been earplugs, but I don't see him randomly running around with earplugs - nobody does that. He was there to see Kyrie, nothing more.

I just don't like the delinquent characters being transformed into these glossy douchebags who THINK they're cool and rebellious. It just makes them look like posers in my eyes.

And I don't like characters that purposefully try to look cool or 'underground' or whatever. I hate western stereotypes. It just makes me think their personality must not be strong enough. You can act cool and try to look cool, but if you're like a juvenile moron like many western characters, that true identity will be obvious. I've always thought it's cooler to dress like an adult and perhaps of high standing, than it is to act like you're trying to recapture your youth or posing as 'rebellious trailer trash/underground meth addict'. There's nothing cool about being an unemployed a-hole.

Last edited:

DMC

Devil May Cry
enough with this crap... arguing who is better .. that what it looks like to me... both dante and nero are bad either way dante wasnt in love with a girl unless he was inlove with his own brother... he never had that sort of feeling... i just hate that the fact that people argue with this crap... i dont care who people think is better the main point on this thread what would be better.... DMC5 or DmC2... not oh new dante is better so ill choose DmC2.... grow up.... it feels like im mature than most people in here... characters just create nerdy arguements.... holy mother of god!!!! twist my nipples with pliers... grow up!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for listening :smile:

DragonMaster2010

Lol, I've never considered Nero to be posh. He doesn't speak in a posh manner, and he doesn't necessarily look that way either, so I don't know where you got that idea from.

"This, I will saver."
"No time for a friendly banter."

Plus, the posness comes from the way he presents himself, the way he stands, and how he looks, and in my eyes it's like Justin Beiber trying to play James Dean.

And at least Nero didn't try to be incredibly tough like Dante in DMC3, he just was. And he was tough while keeping his own personality instead of turning into some sort of caricature like DMC3/DMC4 Dante.

In your eyes, but in mine he just seemed to be trying too hard to be another clone of Dante, then into a bit of a melo-dramatic child, and finally into Ichigo.

The fact that Nero tried to hard to be like Dante in most incounters with demons made him seem like he wasn't speaking his own words.

But you didn't say he was emulating Dante, you only said: ''It just came off as some pompous pretty boy wanting to be the rough and tough bad boy'', which is what Dante was like in the games, as well. Sure, he acts a bit Dante-like at times, but I do see the difference in personality. Nero is more sardonic and cynical, while Dante is playful and a poser.

True, but there's still a difference. DMC3 Dante at least stayed as an interesting action character through out the game, while Nero hit rock bottom in character near the end of DMC4.

I don't know, I quite like characters that don't look cool or overtly act cool. Characters that rely on having a believable personality and having wit. If their looks happen to contradict their behavior, that just makes it extra nice to me. It gives their behavior more of an impact due to the contrast, and makes their personality more important. And the examples you chose are not necessarily of Japanese vs western views; I've seen plenty of 'cool' characters in anime that look nothing like your examples.

Good for you, but that doesn't do it for me. I can't take a bad boy-like character seriously if he's not even fit to BE a bad boy. If anything, Nero should've just had Sora's personality from KH as the dapper hero of justice instead of trying so hard to be the too cool for school character.

To me, the 'listening to rock music while in church' thing doesn't really come across as him trying to be cool. I just saw it as a way for him to not have to listen to that Sparda worship blather. He didn't even seem to pay much attention to the music. The headphones might as well have been earplugs, but I don't see him randomly running around with earplugs - nobody does that. He was there to see Kyrie, nothing more.

Thus why he's late and then is like "I'm out of here". Why not just do that sooner? My point still stands that Nero's listening to music in church is just Capcom's way of thinking that's what makes kids so cool, when honestly it just seems like Nero's trying too hard.

And I don't like characters that purposefully try to look cool or 'underground' or whatever. I hate western stereotypes. It just makes me think their personality must not be strong enough. You can act cool and try to look cool, but if you're like a juvenile moron like many western characters, that true identity will be obvious. I've always thought it's cooler to dress like an adult and perhaps of high standing, than it is to act like you're trying to recapture your youth or posing as 'rebellious trailer trash/underground meth addict'. There's nothing cool about being an unemployed a-hole.

Again, that's your opinion, but all I'm saying is if you're gonna act the part, actually look, play, and be the part so that I can actually take you seriously as a character instead of treat you like some pompous a-hole who thinks he's cool. It's like a rich white kid who's only been in the streets for a few days and suddenly starts to dress in expensive street clothes and high quality leather jackets and pretend they're rebellious and loners when in actuality they only end up looking like this

But if you like Nero the way he is, then whatever, I'll just leave it as that and end it here.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Again, that's your opinion, but all I'm saying is if you're gonna act the part, actually look, play, and be the part so that I can actually take you seriously as a character instead of treat you like some pompous a-hole who thinks he's cool. It's like a rich white kid who's only been in the streets for a few days and suddenly starts to dress in expensive street clothes and high quality leather jackets and pretend they're rebellious and loners when in actuality they only end up looking like this

But if you like Nero the way he is, then whatever, I'll just leave it as that and end it here.

Okay so how does nero not look, act , and play the play the part?

DragonMaster2010

Okay so how does nero not look, act , and play the play the part?

Well remember, this is just how I see it, but;

Nero seems to come off as that loner who wants no attention drawn to himself and doesn't care how people see him. Yet he dresses in a final fantasy esque outfit and has shimmering white hair that DOES make him stand out and cause attention.
He seems to have this wanting to be a rebel and trying to be so rebellious. First off, how can you try to be rebellious when you have a girl who loves you, and were probably raised in good home with the girl you like? You probably had a sem-great life with training here and there. Not only that, but Credos actually worked with Nero to develop his sword style while Kyrie supported him. It's not like he was completely alone or anything, so there was no need to be all "f*ck everybody" all the damn time.
But when he actually does bring in the tears he sheds for Kyrie, I don't feel any different because I knew he would cry at some point as the game went on because he's not the tough guy he thinks he is. He's still a guy with feelings that were going to reach a surface soon enough. I just didn't enjoy how he tried to be all cool and tough in the beginning, but when he finally does cry, I have to now feel bad for him.

Again, this is just my opinion, but Nero has always came around as a wanna-be punk who thinks he's the Fonz reincarnated but is really a rich kid trying to be street in a rich neighborhood.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Well remember, this is just how I see it, but;

Nero seems to come off as that loner who wants no attention drawn to himself and doesn't care how people see him. Yet he dresses in a final fantasy esque outfit and has shimmering white hair that DOES make him stand out and cause attention.
He seems to have this wanting to be a rebel and trying to be so rebellious. First off, how can you try to be rebellious when you have a girl who loves you, and were probably raised in good home with the girl you like? You probably had a sem-great life with training here and there. Not only that, but Credos actually worked with Nero to develop his sword style while Kyrie supported him. It's not like he was completely alone or anything, so there was no need to be all "f*ck everybody" all the damn time.
But when he actually does bring in the tears he sheds for Kyrie, I don't feel any different because I knew he would cry at some point as the game went on because he's not the tough guy he thinks he is. He's still a guy with feelings that were going to reach a surface soon enough. I just didn't enjoy how he tried to be all cool and tough in the beginning, but when he finally does cry, I have to now feel bad for him.

Again, this is just my opinion, but Nero has always came around as a wanna-be punk who thinks he's the Fonz reincarnated but is really a rich kid trying to be street in a rich neighborhood.

So you think he was just playing cool and playing tough..but his actions in the game seem to speak differently i just dont see how he was "acting"

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think fans would want a DMC5 more than a DmC2 but to an outside observer( a new developer), its like inheriting someone else's problem either way so it becomes a case of pick your poison.

Nero was an attempt at creating a new lead but they failed spectacularly for wide variety of reasons. You could do DMC5 with Nero but it would be easier to use him like Raiden in MGS4, make him a supporting character but also remake him into a badass in order to win over fans and draw up interest in the character.

Alot of people after MGS4 came out wanted to see a spinoff with Raiden set before MGs4 showing how he became a badass.

Top Bottom