• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

what was it about Sparda that made him different

Dantenevercries

the manual actually says "some say" dante surpassed sparda...... i just checked.....

interesting so maybe sparda is still stronger then dante was peak vs. peak

The Final Offer

DMC 2 provides us with Dante at his peak. He does exactly what his father does. Insinuating that he's at that level now where he can do what Sparda has.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
This is how I see it. First, genetics come into play; whatever Sparda's lineage was, it's probably safe to say his parents were powerful demons.

But more over, I think his compassion for humanity, and his drive to protect a species he came to love and respect (eventually settling down with Eva, a human woman) may have unlocked some hidden reservoir of power deep within him.

This is merely conjecture; forgive me if this doesn't make sense. I'm pretty worn out. >.<

berto

I Saw the Devil
There was a theory, for a while, that it was a woman. I think that the woman came after. He was provably more attached to the warrior's way than most other demons, something that came from learning sword fighting, through that I'd guess his sense of honor turned him.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
There was a theory, for a while, that it was a woman. I think that the woman came after. He was provably more attached to the warrior's way than most other demons, something that came from learning sword fighting, through that I'd guess his sense of honor turned him.

Agreed. Many people assume his compassion for humanity came after he fell in love with Eva, but I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

He also wasn't the only demon with that sense of honour, as we've seen in episode 10 of the anime. :) They just must have been a rare breed.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
His demon d*ck was the demon d*ck that could pierce the heavens.

edit:

Also he is the only one who could do this.
tumblr_inline_mzdop5PKe01r9u0at.gif

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Agreed. Many people assume his compassion for humanity came after he fell in love with Eva, but I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

He also wasn't the only demon with that sense of honour, as we've seen in episode 10 of the anime. :) They just must have been a rare breed.
I don't understand why people think it was Eva that made him switch sides. Don't these people know how to do simple math? If that were true then Eva would be over a thousand years old and I don't know any human who is able to live that long.

What made Sparda switch to the good side was because he had a sense of justice unlike the others and was able to see and appreciate the empathy humans are capable of. Still, while you get this, like I said, he's just a plot device as far as DMC is concerned.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I don't understand why people think it was Eva that made him switch sides. Don't these people know how to do simple math? If that were true then Eva would be over a thousand years old and I don't know any human who is able to live that long.

What made Sparda switch to the good side was because he had a sense of justice unlike the others and was able to see and appreciate the empathy humans are capable of. Still, while you get this, like I said, he's just a plot device as far as DMC is concerned.

I think the people in question are labouring under the delusion that Eva's death was long ago, and that Dante is nearly two thousand years old. I mean, I can almost understand the logic, since demons have longevity on their side, but Dante is only half, and well...from what we see in the games, he's aging pretty normally. He'll probably live longer than his human companions, but I don't imagine it will be by much.

But yeah, as he never really has made an appearance in the old series (other than being mentioned in the lore), he is sadly just a plot device. :( Kind of a shame, really. Still, said plot device did the trick, and made quite a few fans more intrigued by the prospect of who he is, and what he might be like, if he had been more than that.

Caiden

I think it comes down to society. Demons are not inherently evil but live in a world where they are led to believe that they are above humans and so therefore can do what they like. Others are too weak to make a difference and so they simply do what they are told. Sparda thought differently from his demon brothers and decided that both demons and humans are equals so therefore he fights to defend humanity since they lack the means to do it themselves.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

I think it's a good guess.

I guess that at some point, he has been shocked with something too. He probably started to feel empathy for humans once he had seen something that he could relate to his own life with the other demons. I mean, could be something like he killing two best friends (relating to him and Beowulf?) or a master and his apprentices, something that he could relate to himself and take a moment to think: "Why i'm doing this? They don't seem to be so different from me at all, despite the lack of power".

In the anime his apprentices apparently never fought humans in that "wars" 2000 years ago, just to respect Sparda's beliefs, they simply waited for him to come back as he told them.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
then the other demons.....

If you're talking about what inherent qualit(ies) of Sparda made him different than other demons, first look at what the other demons are like. It's probably safe to assume from facts and conversations in the DMC games between characters that demons in the DMC universe adhere to tenets of modern forms of Satanism.

The tenets are things like:

#1 Self-preservation (at all costs protect yourself over and above anyone else. Only you and your interests truly matter)

#2 Vengeance is no less preferable than forgiveness.

#3 Seek to better your position, power and influence instead of merely accepting what you have been given in life.

#4 The weak can and will be oppressed by the nature of being weak. Strength is paramount. Tolerate or overcome the strong, oppress the weak, this is the natural order, etc.

#5 Self indulgence is fine.

#6 Be kind only to those who can be useful to you.

#7 Be Machiavellian in your pursuit of self-betterment.

and so on

Sparda is almost the exact opposite of these. He put the weak (humans) over and above himself and fought for them; he sealed Mundus rather than seeking vengeance and destroying him completely; he did not better his position because he chose to seal away much of his power and live in disguise as a human; he ruled the human world but from a backseat position rather than lording it over humans; Eva could not have been too useful to a demon of his power yet he concerned himself with her.

But the clue is basically in the first few lines of the first game. Sparda "woke up to" (or invented) the concept of "justice". Someone had to, somewhere at some point, right? We don't know what prompted it but in order to appreciate justice as a demon he must have already possessed the quality of empathy, and developed a concept of fairness, compassion or mercy lacking or taboo in the other demons. he was also willing to break all the demons' major laws or tenets to do it, so he had a rebellious but moral quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom